Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can't make Dubrovnik...Korcula, Split, or Hvar as options?

Old Jan 31st, 2013, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an active tour starting in Zagreb and ending in Trogir through many beautiful parks, waterfalls, etc. through Croatia. Right now we have 2 to 2.5 days at the end to relax or tour and have narrowed it down to Korcula, Split, or Hvar as options based on travel routing. Since there are no possible scenarios for getting to Dubrovnik, which of these areas do you find to be scenic, historic, or most interesting--possibly may compare in some way to Dubrovnik. Since the earlier part of our trip may be in quiet, rustic areas....I would like some nightlife (not clubs, just cocktailing), fine dining and nice hotels. Possibly an area with culture but maybe hike, bike or wine taste. Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 04:14 PM
kja

I think any one of them could potentially meet your needs, but they are very different places:

Korcula Town is very small and IMHO very charming. It is probably the quietest at night. I took a short, absolutely lovely walk on the hill overlooking town and the surrounding waters - very nice. I suspect there are longer walks as options, and the island has several other towns that are connected by bus. If you go to Korcula, try to be there on one of the nights when the moresca is performed (Thursday?) - it's an impressive tradition.

Split is a real city, with a very vibrant and dynamic (and walkable) core. The Riva (waterfront just outside Diocletian's Palace) is lovely and filled with outdoor cafes. The peristyle may have live music compliments of a lovely bar/restaurant to one side. And the medieval section of town to the side of the palace also has lots of options for outdoor drinking/eating. Split has some decent museums and the walk along the coast to Meštrović's gallery is very pleasant. It's also within a few hours by bus or ferry from some other interesting places.

Hvar Town is a high-end resort with a beautiful central area, lots of restaurants, etc. I only spent a few hours there, so have less to say about it. The island has several town connected by bus. I enjoyed my time in Stari Grad, but it was very quiet in the evening, so I don't think it would fit your interests as well.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 03:07 AM

I haven't been to Korcula but the other recs are spot on. Hvar is very Mediterranean/Californian: dry, rocky, lots of the Beatiful People on their yachts in season.

I like Split, near the waterfront. I like everything kja mentions and I like the bustle of ferries arriving and departing to the many islands off the coast. I love the fact that little kids are playing in streets that were part of Diocletian's Palace 1700 years ago. Life goes on. Many people do not like Split because the outskirts are sort of 1950's Communist industrial. They are put off by the way you enter the city. But no one would go to Manhattan if they thought the views entering the city represented everything there is to see.

You can certainly stay in Split and take a day trip to Hvar. You will arrive in Stari Grad and can get the bus to Hvar town. Be sure to see the inside of the theater.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:40 AM

From my last 2 Croatian trips, Split sticks out as the least relaxing and least beautiful...

Korcula and Hvar as pointed out are very different, and both very appealing.

Korcula in many ways is like a mini-Dubrovnik in that it is a walled town - if you are not going to Dubrovnik it would be my pick of the 3. Hvar while lovely is less laid back / friendly and more full of the "beautiful people" as mentioned previously.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 06:04 AM

If you are planning vacation in the vicinity of Dubrovnik, and you want to get away from large crowds, the town of Cavtat is the right place for you.

Slano small picturesque town on the Dubrovnik Riviera, situated 40 km northwest of Dubrovnik

Lopud island is 50-minute boat ride from Dubrovnik city. Island Lopud is one of the Elaphite Islands. Lopud is traffic-free island, the bike and electric cars are the main vehicles. So you have the opportunity to enjoy the forgotten scent of unspoilt nature, and being away from everyday life.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 09:12 AM

But he specifically said he is not going to Dubrovnik, no way, no how. So, yes, Cavtat is lovely and I had one of the best three hour lunches of my life there, but he isn't going to do it.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Can you do day trips to Korcula from Split as well? Also, a different post mentioned Trogir. Although we end our trip there, I think our stay is very short. Would this be a worthwhile stay as well?
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 02:59 PM

Korcula and Hvar are my preferences over Split, mainly because they are islands and Split is not. Both have lots of nightlife and good restaurants as others have pointed out, as well as smaller but still lively towns a short bus or cab ride away if you want them.

That said, for not being an island, I loved Trogir and found lots of interesting things to do for the two nights I was there, as well as plenty of good eating (lamb and seafood all cooked/grilled on an open fire; great pizza thanks to Croatia's close proximity to Italy). However, my favourite was Bol on Brac, a ferry ride away from Split, but likely too quiet for you.
Old Feb 1st, 2013, 04:46 PM
kja

> Can you do day trips to Korcula from Split as well?

I don't know if the ferry schedule would permit that, but even if it does, it's about 3.5 hours each way.

> Trogir... Would this be a worthwhile stay as well?

Trogir is absolutely lovely. And very tiny. You can walk basically every street in a matter of hours. It has a least one excellent restaurant. My recollection is that the town "shut down" pretty early - by 9 p.m. or so, pretty much everything was closed. I don't know if that was normal or not.