Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Huitres, which CT hotel has the most charm?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read your post about several hotels in Monterossa. I, too, had looked at the Port Roca for two nights this October. I would love a small facility with great views and charm. Which of those properties would you suggest? Thanks.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:53 PM

I sought to book a sea view room with terrace at Porto Roca for TWO NIGHTS at 280E per night for mid-September and got a response that they have availability but require us to stay there for THREE NIGHTS. I requested their suggestions as to alternatives and they advised of Palme and Pasquale. I have researched both of those and others and frankly am not particularly impressed. I cant get the view anywhere. I am prepared to pay for the memory of a great view across the bay. If I find something I will let you know.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 01:05 AM

Hi Pawleys (and SydneySteve!): I just saw your message now, sorry for the delayed response! Monterosso al mare has a lot of hotels (more than any other CT town) and there is a convenient listing of them all with pictures and descriptions which you both might find helpful at: http://www.cinqueterrenet.com/ita/strutture/index.htm

Ok, you asked for information so I am going to give you a lot of it! The following hotels are located either at the water's edge and/or have sea view rooms (respective descriptions/prices in following paragraph): Hotel Baia; Hotel Porto Roca (which you already know); Locanda Il Maestrale; Hotel 5 Terre; Hotel Le Palme; Hotel Marina: La Colonnina; Hotel La Pineta.

Hotel Baia (www.baiahotel.it) was most gracious in its response and offered a double room with daily breakfast for 140 euros (early Sept). Please note it should drop even lower by October as high season in the CT ends ~ 15 September. The minimum charge for a double room is 110 euros. Locanda Il Maestrale has bright and airy suites, hotel terrace, with double room rates of 100-130 euros (Stefania and Giovanni are the owners). Hotel 5 Terre has 54 rooms with sea views, elevator, etc. A double room (middle season 15 Sept- 2 Nov) is 140 euros, includes breakfast. (Note that they offered me a double room rate of 120 euros, without breakfast, so there is room for negotiation). Hotel Le Palme has low season rates (1-31 Oct) for doubles at 155 euros, incl breakfast. Hotel Suisse Bellevue offered 120 euros for a double incl breakfast, they have free pkg, and also a shuttle to pick up/deliver guests to the center of Monterosso. Hotel Marina offers (in October) 54 euros per person/per day, plus an addtl 8 euros if breakfast is included. La Coloninna offered me 93 euros (no breakfast) for 2 people for a double room/per day. Hotel La Pineta has a private beach and offered me 120 euros for 2 people total, including breakfast (request a room with a balcony and view of the harbor).

If you are interested in any of the above hotels I gave you, you can contact them via that website address (cinqueterrenet.com). Find the particular hotel you want and click on it, there are then links to send an email or contact them via phone/fax.

Some other non-hotel related tips..make sure you try some dishes with pesto - (invented in Liguria and the region's favorite item) - a CT specialty is trofie al pesto (delicious pasta dish with pesto and small, diced potatoes); and some frutti di mare (mista) - delicately fried fish plate with shrimp, scallops, gamberi, calamari, tonno (tuna) and lots of other local fish that is delicious. The CT makes a great risotto too with their local fish! Il Porticello ristorante in Manarola is a my favorite place, as well as La Grotta, and Ripa del Sole in Riomaggiore, respectively. A fitting way to end your (seafood)meal is with a glass of chilled crema di limoni liquer or with a glass of the stronger 'sciacchetra' which is similar to a cognac or brandy in its coloring and strength. (I don't drink but I do allow myself these 2 exceptions on occasion when I am in the CT since they are both from the region).

Good luck! Enjoy your time there in October, it will be so lovely then and few tourists too!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 02:35 AM

There is so much there I havent even had time to read it, but if I come to CT I will try to arrange some Sydney Rock Oysters for you in the near future. You will be impressed !
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 02:15 PM

SydneySteve: I am sure the Sydney Rock Oysters are good - they do serve oysters in the CT, by the way!

I hope you and also Pawleys are able to get some help from from my posting, there should be enough hotels listed there to offer variety. I am going to be staying in town in the 'centro storico' in a charming little pensione type place - saving some $ yet still close enough to walk to the beachfront.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 01:59 AM

Well I found Hotel Palme, the other CT Four Star at www.hotelpalme.org. They show a photo of the bar when you click on Room so thats a good start. It's difficult to figure out whether there are any views though. I suspect not. Maybe we should all meet at the Baia for a Fodorites reunion Huitres. At least there is a beach there albeit not too sandy by the look of it. I also found this unusual place at Volstra up on a hill called Ca del Michele close to the walking track. Then I went to www.hotelsuissebellevue.com. It looks like it has good views but you dont really get an idea about the rooms or anything else about the hotel. At La Colinnina site you get the impression it is stuck between a number of other buildings. However at Hotel Pasquale for me there appears to be some character. Tell me Huitres, do you know anything about Pasquale ? Those lovely people at Porto Roca ( not!) suggested we try there at Pasquale when we told them we could not stay more than two nights.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Hi SydneySteve: As I had indicated, the hotels I listed were either at the beach or had seaviews. I thought for sure you would like the Hotel Baia because of the seaside location! Hotel Le Palme does have seaview rooms, you have to ask for a room high up with a balcony. Hotel Suisse Bellevue definitely has seaviews and a terrace, including their own private beach. Hotel Pasquale is located in the old town and is in front of the beach. I have never seen the property but I am sure it is nice. Did you email them re: their rates? I always suggest a rate w/o breakfast because you can always pick up a roll and cappuchino in town for a lot less than 8 or 10 euros that the hotels might charge.

Note: ALL the beaches in the CT are rocky, pebbly beaches. Don't expect to find white, fine grain sand - it is not there. Monterosso is pebbly, but they give you mats to lay on or you can bring a towel and make do fine.

Volastra is nice. I walked up there and all the way back down to Manarola, then on to Riomaggiore. It is very nice with commanding views of the coastline, they also have the CT Co-Op there where all the olive oil, pastas, etc are produced for the CT. I haven't heard of Ca del Michele, we walked up there to go to a restaurant. There is a pirate grave right in front of the ancient church, very cool. I love the fact that the CT was marauded by pirates, there are vestiges left everywhere - including in Monterosso, Portovenere, etc. While in the CT, make sure you and your wife take the 5Terre boats that go to each town, or directly down to Portovenere, the lovely seaside town with colorfully painted buildings, restaurants, etc. Besides the old castle ruins and church, there is Lord Byron's Grotto in memoriam of Byron drowning in the Golfe di Poeti trying to swim over to Lerici.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 04:01 PM

You make it all sound like we need to spend more than two nights there. We arrive after two in Milano and after CT we have three at Bellagio. Maybe I can compress my Romantic Road journey that follows to get an extra day in CT. I sent an email to the Pasini Family who own Pasquale and Steno Hotels and did your letto matrimoniale and multo alto lines on them. I like the effort and natural approach of their web sites. The Web sites and family approach remind me of a great hotel we found for our daughter in Sorrento last year called Il Nido. We shall await the outcome. I would like to find a place at the very top of the highest point to stay with great views. Our beaches are soo good here that I get more of a thrill viewing the coastline from way up high in those beautiful mediterranean locations.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 09:51 PM

SydneySteve: I have spent months at a time in the CT, so it is different when one is (was) going to move there! It is still one of my favorite places to return to in Italy, which is why I go back. I think your 3 days/2 nights there will be sufficient. Remember, these towns are small, you can see all of them in 1 day if you wanted to, but I think spreading it out and splitting them up over the 2 or 3 days should still allow you time to explore Volastra, Portovenere, and other places if you desired.

Good luck with the Pasquale Hotel, I am sure you will hear back from them soon. Any rate has got to be better than the overpriced Porto Roca!

I know the Il Nido in Sorrento, they have a nice restaurant there too! Have you seen their webcam? It's a fun way to be in Sorrento daily. http://www.ilnido.it/nidocam.htm
I will be down in Sorrento at the end of my trip for 1 week (mid-Sept) too, can't wait! (I want to move to Italy next year, so working on that plan diligently!)
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 03:40 AM

Havent heard back from Hotel Pasquale yet - been busy trying to get in to Carmen at seville Music Festival. I will let you know when I hear - I am also looking up on those hills of CT. If you will be there around 11-13 September let me know on my email and I will send you my Blackberry email address that will connect to us enroute so we can have a Frito Misto at al.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 11:18 AM

I will be in the CT 1-8 September, then on to my friend's place in Lucca, then to points farther south. Bummer, it would have been fun otherwise! Good luck getting into Carmen -- have you ever attended one of Puccini's operas at his summer lake home - Torre Del Lago Puccini? They are open concerts given in July/August. I wanted to see Madame Butterfly last year but it didn't work out.

Wonder where Pawleys disappeared to?? He is the one that requested all this info and has not posted back since!
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. I'm still here doing my research and will look into your suggestions. I'm also working on my son's wedding that will take place in the Bahamas in August. I'm really looking forward to unwinding in Italy after the wedding.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 10:05 AM

Hi Pawleys: Good luck with your son's wedding, yes you will need a well-deserved break after that! (BTW, I got married in the Bahamas, by the Registrar General of Nassau, we were staying in the Sandals Resort on Cable Beach so had our honeymoon all in one). Have a great trip to Italy afterwards. Cheers!
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 02:30 AM

Huitres and all - www.turismo.liguriainrete.it is helpful when viewing CT from a broader regional perspective. I'm still looking for the place with a view of the sea that probably does not exist !
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:41 AM

I think I've found a nice place Huitres. Its not officially in CT, but rather 17 minutes from it. If and when I get my confirmation I will tell you all about it. Still havent heard from Pasquale, Porto Roca or Steno. It must be a holiday season for not answering emails. Somehow I have the feeling that there are some Caprese type attitudes evolving in CT. Thank you Mr Steve's.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 10:28 AM

SS: Frankly, anything up and down the Riviera di Levante coastline (up through Genoa) will be nice, it's just the CT villages have a more distinct character/charm than its other more illustrious (expensive, i.e. Portofino) neighbors. However, due to Rick Steves overpublication of the CT's charms, the place is being overrun with tourists and the prices are going sky-high. 10 years ago you could still find bargains, but they are few and far between now. It is both a blessing and a curse for the area, because it has brought in lots of money to fix up the train station areas, establish tourist/information offices, etc but then the local residents complain because of so many new people flooding their towns. That's part of life I suppose.

Not sure where you found your hotel, but note that Levanto is considered part of the CT, although not officially. It is a lovely town and just north of Monterosso. They have a large, spanning beach with pedestrian boardwalk and its lovely town is full of ambiance. (Not to mention, it was Mussolini's summer home residence!) I wouldn't give up on those CT hotels just yet, they are busy now with tourists coming in. You might try a last ditch effort and call them too. Either way, let me know what you find!
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 10:35 AM

A friend and I stayed at the Hotel Baia last autumn: lovely rooms, gorgeous view, right across from the beach (which was sandy!), E140, great bars and restaurants around. Grumpy, unhelpful owners/managers (?) but we just ignored them.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 01:35 PM

We have extended our stay to three days and will stay in or near to Devia Marina which is a 17 minute train ride to Montorosso .