Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How's Burano & Torcello Island in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2003, 11:53 PM
HC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be spending 2 days in Venice and am considering to spend 1 of these 2 days in Burano & Torcello Island. Is it worth the visit? Or should I spend both days in Venice?
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 01:21 AM

Hi<BR>I think you might regret not spending longer in Venice itself (I could stroll around there for days and not be bored!). Although Burano is a lovely place (beautiful colours - the most amazing photo opportunities!), I personally wouldn't want to spend a whole day there as it's quite small and you can only walk round it so many times!! I can't be of any help on Torcello, I'm afraid.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 03:11 AM

The islands are interesting, but with only 2 days in Venice you'll be pushed to see the must-sees in the main city. Save the smaller islands for another visit.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 04:37 AM
ira

Hi<BR> I agree with RufusT.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 07:30 AM

Never made it to Torcello, so no advice about that island. I think you'll have plenty to see in Venice itself with only two days there but, if you love color, you might want to take a day trip to Burano (about an hour each way on the vaporetto), as we found the painted houses enchanting, and a delight to photograph.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 07:55 AM
RDF

Torcello has an ancient church (close to 1000 years old, I believe). It's an interesting visit, but certainly not worth it with such a short stay. Burano, as you know, has the multi-colored houses, and a nice place to walk around, have lunch, and do a little people watching and shopping. However, I agree with most of the other posts that both islands are not a big enough draw if you only have 2 days. We were in Venice for 6 nites last year, and we barely scratched the surface. Art, architecture, the local cultural aspects , etc., can fill many more days than two.<BR>Good Luck!<BR>
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 09:18 AM

Torcello is one of my favorite destinations on a trip to Venice (haven't skipped it yet) but on a two day visit I'd reluctantly say not.<BR><BR>Burano is pretty.<BR>Torcello is wild and mostly deserted, and the cathedral mosaics are magnificent, and it's wonderful to have lunch on the outdoor terrace of the Locanda Cipriani in fine weather.<BR>But not on a two day trip imo.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 10:29 AM

What Elaine says.<BR><BR>Torcello is magnificent, often overlooked. But surely not a priority if you have only two days in Venice.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 02:23 PM

Burano in and of itself is definitely worth a visit. Very colorful, great picture taking opportunities. You need to plan what you want to see in Venice and estimate how long it would take. There is a lot to see in Venice. <BR><BR>You certainly need no more than 1/2 day for Burano. Why not leave it to the later part of your second day and go if you satisfied with the time spent in Venice.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 04:41 PM

I loved Torcello; it reminded me of what Venice must've looked like before it was built up.There is a fascinating history and a church with superb mosaics. I saw a very pretty restaurant on my way back to the boat that I've been meaning to return to someday. I would have to agree, however, I wouldn't do it on a 2 day Venice trip as there is too much to see. I would use an excursion to Torcello as a break from the city if you were spending 4+ days there. Can't say anything about Burano since I haven't been there.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 04:10 AM

We spent 3 days in Venice with half a day in Burano. It was delightful, very picturesque and small enough to walk around in an hour or so. <BR><BR>It was the Thursday before Carnevale and they were holding a children's parade. The two year old with us thought she was in kiddie heaven and the adults enjoyed it too. You can see pics(sorry there are lots! Burano on 5 &amp; 6.. ) on http://www.volny.cz/blannie<BR><BR>We also had a good lunch at Dal Baffo, Via San Martino Dx 359. The owner offered to do seafood anti-pasto and fish fritto special for 'a good price'. I was a bit nervous not knowing what it would be, especially as we got lots of nice food.. but the bill for 4 (plus baby) with coffee, a couple of litres of wine and water came to only 90 euros.<BR><BR>I think it depends on what you want to do, with a toddler museums and churches weren't as high on our agenda. <BR><BR>I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you do.<BR>
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:18 PM

only two days in Venice..I'd be inclined to hold off on Burano unless you are really quite satisfied with what you've seen of Venice...and there is so much. Burano is a quick walk around however the houses and the photographic possibilities are great. If you do go to Burano..have lunch at Da Romano..order the grilled shrimp and if you sit outside..do venture inside for a peek..it's worth it.