Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How will the weather be in Germany, Switzerland and Austria?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:24 PM
LN
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've just finished finalizing our itinerary for our circle trip of Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. Now we're wondering what temperatures to expect in mid-September through mid-October so that we pack the right clothes.

We'll be starting out in Frankfurt and heading south to Zurich Switzerland and then onto Garmisch Germany. Octoberfest should be a treat in Munich and then we'll head to Salzburg'/Berschesgaden and then into Vienna for 4 days. From Vienna we'll start up to Berlin for four days and then onto Gotha and ending in Frankfurt.

Sure this is an ambitious tour but we've done similar ones before and we'll just need to pack appropriately.

How cool or how warm will it be in southern Germany, northern Germany, and Austria?

Thanks in advance for your help
Ellen
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:49 PM

www.wunderground.com
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 05:33 AM
LN
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Ellen, the weather in Fall can be just as unpredictable as it is in Spring. I don't think you'll get anything too extreme except perhaps in the mountains in Switzerland where it's cold almost year round.

The best advice is to layer so you can put on or remove as much as you need to be comfortable. I'd also take a wind and rain repellant jacket with a hood and some gloves. In Germany last year in May, I really wished I had brought my gloves. This year, I took them and didn't even need them!! You just never know.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:07 AM

LN,

I just posted on another thread that my husband and I just returned from 17 days in Germany and Switzerland. We had read and heard about the great weather all of June and July .. how it was sunny, blue skies and warm. I therefore packed summer clothes.. nothing warm (the weather reports were also calling for this during our time there).

It rained and was chilly every day (as low as 45 degrees in parts of switzerland) except for about 3 or 4 days. I had to buy a warm pullover and long pants.

I guess what I'm trying to say is pack a little of everything. No one can predict what the weather will be like, especially in the mountains. We also studied the weather forcast, which called for sunny days and turned out not being the case.

We were told by a local in Grindelwald that a low front had unexpectedly moved in and was sitting there.

Good Luck!

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:16 AM

>was chilly every day
Keep this in mind for the big "AC is definitively needed" debate next year (after 11 months of cold weather). ;-) ;-)
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:19 AM

logos, yes I will remember.

We had a great trip, but I will never overly concern myself with the weather again .. not after the crazy weather we experienced in summer. Lesson learned.. pack a bit of everything!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 12:43 PM

I can second that - with only one pair of jeans and one long sleeve shirt, I can say that I didn't have as much laundry to do once I got home. I just put all my cute summer clothes back in the drawer! Take a bit of everything and be able to layer if need be! (Don't forget the ponchos and umbrella!)

and logos...I'm laughing at all my own A/C questions last year! When we had it we used it to drown out street noise, but when we didn't have it we didn't miss it.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 05:06 PM
LN
Original Poster

Ah - the ponchos - I will remember them and get them out now. I've been putting things in a spare bedroom as I think of them.

So then we will take slacks, lightweight jackets and shirts that can be layered, a few lightweight clothes for warm days (cause we really won't need them). We'll pack in a rain jacket w/hood (already have that), some extra jeans, as well as some turtlenecks to layer under the jackets or to wear alone if it's warmer.

I have been concerned once I looked at Wunderground as the areas are about 20 degrees cooler right now than our area outside Washington DC. My assumption had been that Munich and Vienna might be as warm as our own area.

Thanks again everyone and to Betty; thanks for each of your replies.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:03 AM

You'll notice a sudden sharp drop in temperatures mid-October, (one day everything seems stil bearable, the next day it's really cold) it's about two weeks before the last trees have lost their leaves. It's fascinating every year how fast the switch-over to winter goes. And it always takes me a few days, before "accepting" it as "normal"
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:27 AM

Hi

It is always hard to tell what the weather will be like But http://www.weatherbase.com will at least provide you with some weather stats.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures