Search

How to split time for 11 days in Malta & Gozo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2012, 04:44 PM
plr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to split time for 11 days in Malta & Gozo

I'm mostly, though certainly not completely, interested in the most ancient archeololgical sites on both islands. I usually spend more time than most folks do at each site (2-4 hours, for example) to just absorb the place--which is why I don't do well on group tours. But then I want to get where I'm going next without "wasting" time.

Can any of you advise about how many days each on Malta and on Gozo I should spend, to allow myself enough time to devote to the major sites on each island? Trying to plan my hotel stays on each island, and am not sure of the "ratio" of site-time involved, comparatively. Sorry to sound so calculating....I do know it doesn't go that way; but I have no idea right now of the extent of the sites on each island and how much time should be allowed.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 05:25 PM

So far you haven't mentioned what you want to see so it's difficult to say how many days you'll need.

If it's only the archeological sites then you won't need much time as the sites are quite small. I can't imagine spending more than an hour at any of them. I guess 2 days on Malta and a day on Gozo.

I felt there was so much more to Malta than the archeological sites.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 06:32 AM

I would spend half and half on each island. Gozo is smaller but with so much things to do. Ggantija temples in Gozo are the oldest in the world. You would be better off hiring a car. You can try mayjo on http://www.mayjocarhire.com
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 12:20 PM

Hello, I would suggest you go to Malta and Gozo, visit Valletta, Dingli cliffs, Mdina, Sliema / St Julians
Have 1 or 2 nights out in Paceville Can not be missed even if it can be rough !
You can also go the Hypogeum, this is really nice but you have to book in advance.

you can use this page to have more idea, but 11 days should be really enough to have a great view of Malta and Gozo.

http://www.malta.com/en/holidays/holiday-itineraries

Regards
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 05:22 PM
plr
Original Poster

adrienne, thanks for your suggestions. How much time have you spent in Matlta/Gozo?

Thanks also to idanwcd and antoine99--I do appreciate your input!
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 12:27 PM

I would say 2-3 days in Gozo but avoid August like the plague.
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 02:16 PM
plr
Original Poster

Thanks, RK--going in early May, and had been thinking 3 days in Gozo. Since I tend to linger at archeological sites, but still want to do other stuff (none of which involves sitting around!!), I think that does sound about right. Though I may surely wish for more than the remaining 8 days in Malta....
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 12:17 PM

If it's archeology you wish to focus on, even 2 full days in Gozo will suffice. Gozo is greener, more rural, more laid back. And has a stupendous sandy beach (Ramla l-Hamra). May will be warm enough for a dip! But it's small so you will quickly run out of archeological sites to visit. Make sure you visit the Citadel in Victoria, the Azure Window, Xlendi bay (some nice restaurants there), the Lighthouse Tower (salt pans below) and Ta' Pinu Church if you're a beleiver...the Madonna is said to have appeared close by and many Maltese/Gozitans make votive vows to her at this church.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 04:12 PM
plr
Original Poster

RK, Sounds wonderful. I'll be cotton-headed the day after I arrive on Gozo, and will then have 2 full days after that to dig into everything I can.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 06:33 AM

@idanwcd, do you get commissions from Gozo http://www.mayjocarhire.com/ you are everywhere on Gozo forums not helping much but suggesting to rent a car at Mayjo....