How to spend Xmas Day in Rome ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrive in Rome on the 22nd December staying until the 27th Dec 2 females travelling
Wanting suggestions how to spend Xmas day ?
Regards
Sazzi
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 05:01 AM

Go to Christmas Midnight Mass in Vatican City on Christmas Eve and sleep in on Christmas.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 05:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Midnight mass at Santa Maria d'Aracoeli. This is pagan idolatry at its best! By-the-way, arrange your Christmas Eve dinner in advance. Many if not most restaurants are closed as it is a family affair in Italy.

We went to St Peter's Christmas Morning -- saw the Pope give out his world greeting. Then climbed the Janiculum Hill and walked the ridge down to Trastevere, where we had lunch in the Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere. (Wonderful church to visit, as well.)

The market in Piazza Navona was wonderful some years back. Not sure how it is today.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 07:29 AM

Quietly.

Walk the quiet streets with the other tourists on Christmas Day. Make dinner reservations in advance -- many restaurants are closed that day and the ones that are open will be booked.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 08:29 PM

<i>How to spend Xmas Day in Rome ?
Posted by: sazzi on Oct 30, 13 at 7:14am
Arrive in Rome on the 22nd December staying until the 27th Dec 2 females travelling
Wanting suggestions how to spend Xmas day ?</i>

If you can get tickets for Midnight Mass at the Vatican, go. Bring your camera and stand on your chair like all the nuns around you to get a good view of the Pope. I did that. It was a memorable moment. On my way back to my hotel near the train station I saw that all the cafes were full of guys drinking. Have fun. On Christmas Day sleep in. I went to the train station post office and phoned home. I don't know if they still have the phone service there since everybody has a mobile device these days.

Stock up on bread, cheese, ham, wine, and oranges on the 23rd in case you have to picnic in your room. Everything will probably be closed early on the 24th.
Old Nov 1st, 2013, 07:39 AM

<<Stock up on bread, cheese, ham, wine, and oranges on the 23rd in case you have to picnic in your room. Everything will probably be closed early on the 24th.>>

This is very sound advice. Since we did not make advance dinner reservations for Christmas (and the hotel called several places for us), we stocked up on some provisions and had a picnic dinner in our room. This worked well for most of us, although our vegan daughter complained later that I fed her peanuts (literally) for Christmas dinner!
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 11:10 AM

St Peter's and Piazza Navona are must do's.
Plan someplace to have a nice dinner or you will be eating in your room.
I arranged a Birthday/Christmas dinner at the Forum Rooftop Restaurant a few years ago and it was fabulous.
http://www.ristoranteroofgardenforum.it/

I'm sure you could google 'Rome' and 'Christmas dinner' to find other places but definitely book ahead.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 01:30 PM

Tip: When doing your Google searches, type out the word "Christmas."
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 04:26 PM

Leading up to the Pope's Annual address from the balcony of St. Peter's, there's a rather informal parade into the Square. After the address... it's even more informal!

Because we lived a few blocks from the square, we'd walk over and mingle --- and then talk with the US high school and college bands that were there each year for the event. One year, two of the US bands marched down to Castel Sant'Angleo and had a jam session for 90 minutes. Great funand a taste of home!

Here's a photo of a "local group" leaving St. Peter's on New Years Day: http://ow.ly/qqU2y
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 04:41 PM

Sorry Sazzi - I was thinking New Years... We'd also walk over and hear the Pope on Christmas Day, but there are no bands! (it's just as "quiet" on New Year's Day!)

We always spent Christmas walking, visiting churches, and seeing friends. As suggested, make your reservations for lunch/dinner in advance. Our first year in Rome, we were shut out from our favorite spots because we did not plan ahead. Despite knowing the owners... it didn't help, as most everyone there was THEIR family and friends!