Reload this Page >

Rome in December

Search

Rome in December

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 02:49 PM
ger

Rome in December

I may be visiting Rome in mid December and wonder if anyone can comment on the weather I can expect: cold/mild, rainy/sunny etc. It seems to be fairly mild at the moment (60s).<BR><BR>Also, what special events should I plan to take in - I have read that the Christmas market is quite wonderful.<BR><BR>Any tips or advice would be welcome.<BR><BR>Thank you in advance.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 12:14 AM
mercedes

Ger,<BR>don't miss Piazza Navona.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 12:21 AM
Bhakti

Last year by end of December it was rainy, windy and not too cold. As previous poster, visit Piazza Navona.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Lorenz

I am headed there in 6 days. I haven't found much on this board that helps with Christmas there. Besides Piazza Navona's market. There is something called Fiera Roma, a concert-convention facility, I believe. There is a very large, by description, Christmas market, held inside. One of the major Christmas activities is viewing all of the Presepio ( nativity) scenes at the multitude of churches in Roma. Reportedly some of the best are, San Maria Maggiore, San Maria in Arcoelli, San Maria in Trastevere,San Giovanni Laterno, San Ignasio, Il Gesu,and Vatican , amongst many others (Italians forgive my spelling please). There is also a display of a couple hundred presepio at Sala Del Bramante , Piazza Popolo. It is also a competion for best presepio. These streets are reported to have many decorations, Condutti, Sistina, Del Babuino, Frattina and others where there is major shopping.<BR>There is a special Christmas concert at the Vatican with international stars, also St. Cecilia's orchestra &amp; choir have a concert. Many of the stores display decorations and display special Christmas treats &amp; traditional items. Search the web you'll find some of these items. Buon Natale !

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Book Chick

Ger,<BR>When I was there in January, it had not rained for 3 months. There was some days that were cloudier than others, but most of the time it was pretty clear.<BR><BR>Temps ranged from about 7 Centigrade to the 60 degrees Fahrenheit you've mentioned. I dressed in layers and brought with me a raincoat with a zip-in lining, and gloves.<BR><BR>Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Steve James

The Xmas Market at Fiera di Roma (Via Cristoforo Colombo)is from <BR>7th-15th December<BR>Accessible by bus or metro.<BR>Opens at 15.00 Mon-Fri,<BR>10.00a.m at weekends.<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 03:57 PM
ger

Thank you all! <BR><BR>Lorenz - special thanks for sharing. Obviously,it is a very special time to visit Rome.<BR><BR>Fingers crossed that the plans work out.<BR><BR>Regards