How to read Trenitalia's charts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ira kindly directed me to Trenitalia's website for me to get from Rome to Salerno. But the chart is a bit confusing. There appears to be a time in the second column over the place departing from (e.g. Rome TC), then next to it another time, then a couple columns further to the right, another time.
Also, when I click on a trip that appears to be non-stop, it shows a stop in Naples (e.g., 11:45).
Lastly, what was IC stand for? Is ES the best?
Plu-lastly--should one every buy on-line and if so, get tickets in advance?
THanks to Ira or anyone who can hold my hand here.
Dee
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 12:55 PM

Hi,

Mostly to top your post, I think I can help a little. I typed in Rome and Salerno, and here's what it looks like:

The first column: "Roma TE" and a time "12:27" - this is the time the train leaves and the station.

The second column: A time - "15:21" is the time it stops Salerno.

3rd column "NA C. LE" which is Napoli, which is where the train stops before Salerno.

4th column - A time: "14:24", is the time it makes the interim stop in Napoli.

5th column - IC or ES, the type of train, I don't know this part.

6th column - A length of time: "2:54" is the length of the trip from Rome to Salerno.

This doesn't completely answer your questions, but hopefully someone else can fill in the blanks.

Karen
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 12:59 PM

Dee, i guess that it can be confusing, especially if you are not familiar travelling by train.

There are many schedules, choose the time that you want to leave.I suggest that you take Roma- salerno, without stopping at Naples.
When you see a different time and station in the schedule it means that for example, the train arrive at Naples at 10:45 and leave the station at 11:00 ( this is just an example).

The IC is an Intercity train, travel first class and make a seat reservations , if you can.

ES, is faster, cleaner, more expensive and the second class is very comfortable also.

If you know when you leave or the time , I can help you..
ciao,

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 01:09 PM

There are no non-stop trains from Rome to Salerno; all of them stop in Naples. However there are some direct trains that don't involve a change of train in Naples. This is what you are confusing in the charts.

IC stands for Inter-City, and ES for Eurostar. The Eurostar is the best and most expensive Italian train; however on the Rome-Salerno route it is not that much faster than the IC. The Eurostar requires a reservation.

Also some trains leave from the Rome Termini station and others from Rome Tiburtina. These are distinguished by Rome Te and Rome Tib in the Trenitalia charts.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 01:13 PM

If Naples is showing, along with a time, it's not a STOP. It's a CONNECTION.

The ones without connections also make several stops between Rome and Salerno. But you don't need to switch trains. It's not like planes, where you have many non-stops.

Since there are many "direct" (again, not "non-stop&quot trains between Rome and Salerno, pick one of those, and avoid the itinerary that requires a connection. Click on the Red Arrow on the first column and you'll get more information, including the train number and time for connection (if applicable).

IC = Intercity. It's the regular long-distance trains in Europe, often international. Fast, but not fastest.

ES = Eurostar. It's the express train that runs along Italy's main corridor. Do not confuse that with the train that goes through the Channel Tunnel between the UK and Europe.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 01:14 PM

I realized that the train stop at Naples, but she does not needs to change train...
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Whoa, thanks, Kismetchinera (good name), kaudrey, Thomas Milligan, rkkwan. Great help. Do I take it that the ES is a more comfortable train than IC(took some kind of train from Agripoli to Rome--was not at all a good train, don't know what type it was). Anyone try purchasing on-line? By the way, this thread disappeared on me -- only found by searching my own name.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:17 PM
yk

dee-

> Do I take it that the ES is a more comfortable train than IC(took some kind of train from Agripoli to Rome--was not at all a good train, don't know what type it was). <
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34473995

> Anyone try purchasing on-line? <

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34465647
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

By the way, the on-line purchase site for Trenitalia was, as of last night, not in service, it said.