How to order chichetti snacks in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the chichetti are small dishes like tapas ..

But say in the wine shop, do I sit down and order them from a menu? or are they laid out in the counter, so I order them and pay and then sit down, or keep on ordering and total the bill later?

Also if I pick one item, is the portion size fixed? or do I have to say that I want this item for 2 people, for 4 people etc.

Thanks
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 11:03 AM

It's a word (cicchetto) I've met many times on this forum and that my personal mother tongue vocabulary associates with a shot of liquor, grappa, schnaps etc, not necessary as aperitif.

The traditional "aperitivo" sacred time (let's say 7/7.30 pm), a sort of meeting point before dinner or a night out, is very popular in Milan and, generally in the North of Italy.

People meet at fashionable (standee) bars and have (large) drinks while the house offers free food which comes in form of tarts, vegetables, fruits, salads, pastas etc.

The "aperitivo" time in Rome is different as it has less food on the counter and sets later (say after 8pm).
A glimpse of aperitivo in Rome can be lived at places such as Friends' in Piazza Trilussa or Piazza Fiume.

Salute !

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 11:48 AM

I assume you are speaking of Venice.Chichetti and tapas are "first cousins".The early Ventian traders traversed to Spain in search of their treasures.While there they enjoyed the delicious and savory snacks.Back in Venice, they became creative and invented their own versions.Most chichetti are bitesized and on a toothpick.A good chef will boast that he can concoct at least 100 different varieties of chichetti.Usually,they are laid out on the bar.You can stand/sit at the bar and enjoy a plate,ususlly in the 3-4E or take a platter back to your table usually 7-8E.But go early like around 6ish as the chichetti go quickly.Enjoy!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 12:15 PM
cmt

It's cicchetti.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

To Beachboi:

Yes I'm talking about the tapas-like cicchetti.

As asked in my original post: so how do you pay or how does the waiter keep tap, especially if they have a 100 items.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 02:00 PM

You just go up to the bartender and tell him what you want...you will see the plates and the platters either on the bar or behind.Many items will be in glass covered dishes/containers easily accesible...chances are the b/t speaks good enough English to know what you want.The "100 items" just was referring to the chef's ability to produce a huge variety..you will not see that many but there will be variety..its kinda buffet style......
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:23 AM

A friend of mine who lives in Veneto has just told me that I gave an incorrect information : "cicchetti" in THAT region are those snacks coming with an aperitif.

This word outside the Venice area has the merely meaning of shots of alcoholic drinks and it's not related with food.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ... although I still quite didn't get an answer from fellow Fordorites on "how do you pay for these snacks"
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 10:13 PM

If you have access to a library with Rick Steves tapes, take a look at his Travels in Europe Venice tape or DVD. He has video of a bar, explains how to order, and, off hand, can't remember if he says how to pay. I have the DVD and will review it.

You can purchase them at the following site cheaper than on the RS site: http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/search.cfm
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 07:18 AM

Just reviewed the DVD. Sorry, Travels in Europe Venice didn't have any info you are looking for. Might try the newer one, Rick Steves Europe Venice.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, but I'm leaving for Milan this coming Thursday. Then onto Venice and Florence. I will put up a post on how to order ciccheti upon my return.