How to go to La Marais from airport?

Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

How to go to La Marais from airport?

We would be arriving at 7 am by air france. Since we have hardly any language, we shall attempt to take public transportation. We will be heading to rue du Brague. What is the best way to do it?
Thankyou.
Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

sorry. I meant luggage.
Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:15 PM

Air France Bus to Republique.

Métro line 11 to Rambuteau.

Walk to Rue de Brague (300 yards).
Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:35 PM

Oh, wait. AF to Gare de Lyon.

Line 1 to Hôtel de Ville.

Line 11 to Rambuteau.
Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:38 PM
dln

Or you can take the train into the city for about 8€ (follow signs at airport to ticket counters, very straightforward) which will bring you to the Gare du Nord train station where you can transfer to the metro Robespierre mentioned.

Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:41 PM

Mohan: are you renting the apartment from rentparis on rue de braque? If so, we rented it a couple of years ago and loved it. The building is the best part. The ceilings are very high. Listen to TSF jazz on the radio. Really sets a great mood. We take the RER to Chatelet and then just walked east to rambuteau and took a left on I think Rue du temple (?) then a right on rue de braque. Building is very old and has much history.
Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your prompt reply.
Opaldog: yes, we are renting the apartment from rentparis. By the way, do you remember the condition of the mattress? I have a poor back. I appreciate a relatively supportive mattress. One of the reasons I decided on this particular apartment was because I read your positive comment on the apartment. Thankyou for posting.
Do you remember any particular good place to eat especially breakfast or gourmet places to buy food from around the apartment?
"The ceilings are very high. Listen to TSF jazz on the radio. Really sets a great mood."
That sounds like something I like to do too.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 03:40 AM

Mohan: Hope my recommendation was a good one for you. The apartment at Rue de Braque is very old. It is a large studio with a separate kitchen and separate bathroom. You enter into a foyer with the bathroom to the left and livingroom/bedroom to the right. The ceilings, as I said are very high. From the street you enter thru a large wooden door that appears to have been used by vehicle/carts at one time. You step into a beautiful courtyard area. It is very impressive. You can use the elevator or just go up one flight of stairs to the apartment. It is a very quiet building. We did not hear anything or see anyone in our 3 night stay there. We were there in December 3 years ago. The apartment was a bit chilly upon entering, but warmed up quickly. The radio was already turned on to tsf; light jazz was playing and there were flowers on the coffee table. The windows are tall with curtains and shutters. The street is quiet, but it didn't stop me from looking out the windows. At the end of the street is the archives. Beautiful building. The mattress from what I remember was a queen size, but I don't remember it being extra supportive. The furnishings aren't luxurious, but they are very comfortable. My memories are in the evening sitting down in the chairs in front of the window, listening to jazz, and drinking champagne. (my favorite) The location is good. Rambuteau has many small food stores; charcuterie, boulangerie, cheese shops, wine shops, cafes. We used to walk up to the Place des Vosges in the morning and have our "breakfast" at Ma Bourgogne. So I hope you are happy with the apartment. The whole package; the building, the location lends itself to our praise of rue de braque. Are you leaving from Boston? I know we will be flying on AF in Feb. and arrive at 6:15. I know that most flights arrive at this time. Just wondering?
Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Opaldog:Thanks again for the great description. I could picture it totally. Can't wait.
We will be flying out from the big apple in March. I paid the deposit by paypal last week but I have not heard from them yet. We'll see. Have a great trip if we don't talk before that.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:35 AM

Again, I hope that you find the apartment as pleasant as we did. I want to say, however, that the furnishings were comfortable, but not of a luxurious standard. That is the only observation I have that is not totally positive. We used the rambuteau metro stop alot. You will be very near the pompidou. You will be within walking distance of many sights. The Picasso museum is not far, Place des Vosges, etc. You are not far from the BHV department store and rue de rivoli. We also occasionally used the Hotel de Ville metro stop. We have rented twice from rentparis. The other apartment was bigger (we had family with us) on rue ste. croix de la bretonnerie, not far from rue de braque. Our dealings with rentparis were always good. The first time we were not able to reach anyone by phone from cdg. So we took the rer into the city and called from there. It was tough finding a phone once we got there. I finally found one over by pompidou. They came pretty quickly after that call. There are a number of ATM's in the neighborhood. If I recall we used one that was right on rambuteau before you turned for rue de braque. THere is also a franprix (xtra mart type store) at the beginning of rambuteau. This time we are staying in an apartment over near canal st. martin and renting from another person. We are going for the view. Have a great trip.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:41 AM

I guess it's been settled that you're all talking about the rue de Braque and not the rue de Birague (close to the Place des Vosges).
Feb 3rd, 2005, 09:56 AM

I am going under the assumption that it is rue de braque and not rue de birague. Rentparis has the apartment on rue de braque. I almost stayed at the hotel place des vosges on rue de birague. It is a very nice little street.
Feb 21st, 2005, 01:00 AM

Hi Mohan, my husband & I will be staying in the same apartment mid april 05, when do you return home??? Could you post to say how it is if possible??? Thanks and have a great time
Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:55 AM

By the way - the #38 bus from Gare du Nord (Direction Porte d'Orleans) stops at Grenier Saint Lazare-Quartier de L'Horloge which is on Rue Beaubourg, about a 4-minute walk to Rue de Brague. This route would undoubtedly be less strenuous than two Métro legs to Rambuteau. So:

CDG to Gare du Nord - RER B
Gare du Nord to Grenier... - Bus #38
Feb 28th, 2005, 09:11 PM

Mohan, I've been reading this post and hope you don't mind if I ask Opaldog a question. Our family is considering staying at the 38 rue ste croix apartment and I was wondering if you remember anything about the apt and location? Also, do you think this will be a fun area in Paris with teenagers? Would the same travel from CDG airport apply and do you think a family of 6 whould travel cheaper by RER or taxi? One last thing --- this apt is not air conditioned, will that be a major problem in July?Thanks so much.