Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > How to get internet access and international phone in Portugal
Notices

How to get internet access and international phone in Portugal

Oct 14th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

How to get internet access and international phone in Portugal

Hi,
I have a Verizon android smart phone. I am going to Portugal and need to have internet access and be able to dial other numbers in Portugal and call the US. How does the SIM card work? I don't believe Verizon allows for the card to be replaced. They have security. Can someone advise me on what to do?
Question 2- What about Ipad or computer internet connection?
Oct 14th, 2012, 03:37 PM

1. You need to get Verizon to unlock your phone in order to use a different SIM.

2. Wifi will work fine in Portugal.
Oct 14th, 2012, 03:47 PM

You can get your Verizon Android phone unlocked and use it in Portugal as long as it is a quad-band world phone. If you have the right phone, then you can purchase a local sim card once you arrive in Portugal.

The only ones that fit the bill are:
HTC Rezound
DROID RAZR by Motorola
DROID RAZR MAXX by Motorola
DROID 4 by Motorola

AT&T has a far better program for roaming.

iPads and iPhones work well with WiFi.
Oct 14th, 2012, 04:03 PM

Are you sure about that list, Robert? I would have thought the Samsung Galaxy and LG phones would also work.
Oct 14th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

I have a Droid Bionic 4 G. Don't know if I have a quad band. Does this qualify? If not, what are my options. Purchase a phone in Portugal. What about getting internet for an iPad?
Also, in order for me to connect to Wifi (as well as the Droid)I need to be in an area with Wifi. I want to purchase internet connection. Is there a plan I can dial into to get internet service
Oct 14th, 2012, 05:29 PM

Not sure about the rest of Portugal, but here in Lisbon when I turn on my wifi on my laptop or iphone, a service called FON_ZON_FREE_INTERNET is an option. I think it's only free under certain circumstances, like if you subscribe to their service in your home. But otherwise you can sign up and pay by the hour or day. I personally haven't used it, but I've purchased a USB dongle and prepaid sim card from Vodafone for when I need laptop internet when I'm away from home. You can just walk into a Vodafone store and purchase it.
Oct 17th, 2012, 08:34 PM

Last month I paid 10€ for 1GB service in Vodafone shop in the shopping center & got free SIM + 15€ credit (5 was a bonus). SIM worked great in both phone & tablet. I think LIS airport Vodafone shop charges for SIM.

Search this Thread