How to get from Madrid to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best, cheapest, convenient way to get from Madrid to Rome?
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Try one of the budget airlines. Easy Jet flies Madrid/Rome Ciampino. Vueling, Air Europa, Air Comet fly Madrid/Rome FCO.
www.whichbudget.com
www.skyscanner.net
Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

I heard Ryan Air was cheap, but also read they are a nightmare. 2 of us, first timers to Europe, will fly into Madrid at 7:20 am in July and want to get to Rome that same morning. We will each have 2 suitcases. Any thoughts on best way to get there? What is the difference in the 2 airports in Rome? Has anyone experienced Ryan Air? Whichbudget only has one flight a day and it is early morning before we get into Madrid.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:07 PM

Check out clickair.com Associated with vueling
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:55 PM

Thousands (millions) have experienced Ryan Air. They are one of the major budget airlines in Europe and have been for years. You will have a problem with any budget airline since you have too much luggage. They all charge big fees for extra luggage, but even the major US airlines will be charging $50 for a 2nd checked bag starting this summer on international flights.

Both Rome airports are about the same distance from central Rome.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:43 PM

don't throw your hands up thinking that you will be relegated to a budget airline. I have in the past found very cheap flights on major carriers within europe such as British Airways. Also, you may want to try Iberian airways...with their inner european airline Air Nostrum.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:49 PM

forgot to add....try AirOne....I have flow many times within europe on AirOne...they do have direct flights from Barajas to Rome that are very reasonable.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:27 PM

As best as I can tell, you have the following flight options:

Ryanair, Air Europa, Alitalia/Air One, Iberia, and Vueling.

On any of these airlines, you will need to watch your baggage weight and, possibly the number of bags you take.

On Ryanair, for example, you will pay EUR 10 for the first bag, EUR 20 for the second, and EUR 15 for every kg over 15 kg (33 lb). Assuming you were to check the maximum allowance for your TATL flights, which is typically 2 bags at 50 lbs each, this would lead each of you to pay EUR 495 in baggage charges, each way.

Vueling is EUR 10 for 20 kg (no piece restriction noted), and EUR 8 for each kg over that. Max weight = 50 kg.

Air Europa gives you 23 kg (no piece restriction noted). They have a novel excess baggage charge, though, which makes it difficult to calculate ahead of time: "the excess baggage charge will be 1.5% of the highest published Economy Class fare in effect at the time of payment of the charge for the route that is to be covered, per kg of excess, irrespective of the fare that was paid for the ticket."

Iberia gives you 23 kg, and charges EUR 5 per kg excess, in increments of 5 kg. In other words, 6 kg is charged as if it is 10 kg.

Alitalia gives you 20 kg, and charges EUR 15 per kg excess.

In other words, I would try to get down to 20-23 kg of checked luggage. This is, BTW, pretty much the norm across Europe and Asia.

One possible way around this (no guarantees), would be to try to have your luggage checked through from your inbound flight from the US. I would think, though, that it would only be possible to do this if you are flying one of the major carriers - Air Europa, Alitalia, and Iberia. I am pretty certain that you wouldn't be able to do it with Ryanair. I have my doubts about whether you could do it with Vueling. Regardless of whether this saves you from the checked luggage fees, though, this would save you much hassle.

Who are you flying in on? For the most seamless connection, it might be best to try and stay with the same alliance. Air Europa and Alitalia are in SkyTeam, which includes Delta, Air France, Northwest, and (until October) Continental, among others. Iberia is in OneWorld, which includes AA and BA. Unfortunately, there is no Star Alliance carrier (Lufthansa, United, US Air, etc) that serves the MAD-Rome route.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:35 PM

I should also add, that you are taking a risk booking a separate ticket and trying to connect on the same day. If your inbound flight is late, you will almost certainly be considered a no-show for your next flight, potentially having to buy a new ticket at full price. To that end, I would give myself at least 3-4 hours to make the connection, and that is if I was checking my luggage through, and was able to check-in online or at the airport prior to leaving the US.

If you are trying to connect to Vueling or Ryanair, I would give myself 4-5 hours, since you will almost certainly have to collect your bags, exit the secure area of the airport, and go to the check-in counters to start the whole process over again.

Giving yourself that much time will probably mean that you will end up sitting around the airport, but the financial risks associated with cutting it too close can be high.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:19 AM

FYI - Beginning July 1, Delta and NWA will be charging $50 for a second bag on international flights. I assume other major carriers will be doing the same.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:14 AM

Are you going to be living in rome for a significant length of time - going to school or something? If no, can;t imagine what you could possibly want with two suitcases each.

If you're going to consider budget airlines you need to look at their (minute) luggage allowances - and realize that IF they let you bring more luggage on (sometimes they won;t since the plane would be overweight) they will charge you a fortune in overweight charges.

If you're going for a long time I suggest you ship most of your belongings ahead of you. If you're going for a brief vacation - cut way back on you're bringing. (I'm not usually of this school - but we travel by car or First Class train - so we can bring as much as we want. If you're doing budget airlines your total luggage should weigh no more than 30 pounds or so - including the cases.)

And air is really the only sensible option - train would take at least 16 hours.