How to Elope in Italy

Old May 10th, 2017, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Elope in Italy

Hi,

My boyfriend and I want to elope to Tuscany next May. It will just be the two of us and no guests. Any recommendations on what to do and where to go in Tuscany?
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to investigate the legal requirements. It's not like rolling up to a wedding chapel in Vegas. There are lots and lots of things you have to do in advance, and many (most?) couples work with an experienced wedding planner for that reason.

Here is just one website dedicated to the subject:

http://www.weddingintuscany.info/wed...ion-italy.html
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:24 AM

Curious, what is your citzenship? There are requirements you should be aware of. If you are USA citizen for example:

https://it.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/marriage/
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The OP has started 3 threads on this subject...
Old May 10th, 2017, 08:09 AM

Do it it france. If you write it down you can get 1 M€.

You have the Penelope fillion !
Old May 10th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

I am not worried about the legality of it; we plan on legally marrying in the states prior to going. Just curious about some venues and areas for only 2 people.
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:13 AM

So you are NOT planning to 'elope', you are simply planning to go on a honeymoon.

If you want suggestions on where to visit, then you need to provide some criteria that people can base suggestions on. ie. what are your interests.
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:27 AM

Be sure to check your other posts. Can you combine the posts, or read all of them then have the editors remove a couple and leave only one. That way, you will get all of your answers and info together and everybody will know what has already been posted.
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:44 PM

YOu aren't getting married at all then (in Italy), so what's the issue? This is just a honeymoon, just book hotels and plan where you want to stay. If you are already married when you go, you can't get married again nor elope.
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:53 PM

maybe a cruise ? A Pen Elope Cruze.
Old May 10th, 2017, 03:31 PM

Will you get divorced also in Italy? THAT will be where the mountain of paperwork involved will wear you down.
Old May 10th, 2017, 04:12 PM

StCirq,
You are in high form today! Very funny.
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Not just a honeymoon. We are legally marrying prior, but plan on having the full ceremony in Italy. Looking for ideas on where in Tuscany, how to find a good florist, hair, etc. especially someone to officiate.
Old May 10th, 2017, 08:16 PM

Have you looked into how to do that? Are you looking for a religious ceremony? Who will do the ceremony? I am not sure it is a simple thing to arrange even if it is a 'mock' ceremony as you will already be married.
Old May 10th, 2017, 08:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd forget about an 'officiant' etc. I'm not an expert but getting married, or even 'sham ceremony married', in Italy isn't that easy.

Why not just pick a scenic spot and the two of you (alone) recite your 'vows'/honor each other and go to a fabulous lunch afterwards.

No need for anyone else to even be involved- let alone a 'wedding planner'.

And with you very limited time pick a couple of places in Italy -- three at most.
Old May 10th, 2017, 10:48 PM

Goggle symbolic wedding tuscany. You should come up with some wedding planners who will do the organisation - at a steep price.
Old May 11th, 2017, 12:50 AM

As someone poited out we are not having love chapels like in LA.
Getting married in Europe is done either at the city hall and/or accodring to countries at th church.

I Belgium and France getting married at the church has no value for the law. But you are not into that.

However priests in France and Belgium at least would not be keen on marrying total strangers who come 'just for the fun'. We went to the parochy where my wife was known and had to talk several times to the priest to organize things. Some priest even want to confess you.

Then we had to find a date. Not that easy actually.

Getting married in Europe is not a show, but maybe there are some ersatz ways of doing it. After all there is a market for everywthing. But plan ahead.

I should start looking if we can make a dummy funeral at a church, so that I can see what happens when I'm in the coffin...
Old May 11th, 2017, 12:58 AM

I saw on your other thread you ahve a guy organizing it for you. So it is taken care of. Have fun. Don't read between the lines of a grumpy guy who doesn't understand why to copy a sacred rite in a foreign country. Desecration ? nah, would be going too far.

What was then your question ? (no pun intended, just lost ...).
Old May 11th, 2017, 01:28 PM

I like the "symbolic funeral" idea! Brilliant, Wo! I may set up a planning business here in Italy. Do I have to pay you royalties?

Back in the days when people really did elope, they didn't engage florists or hairdressers. They just took off for Gretna Green in their street clothes and came back the next day with the deed done.
Old May 11th, 2017, 01:47 PM

md912,

What you are contemplating is not silly or unusual. Forget the people trying to mock you and dripping hate. Many people go to Italy to do a "rewewal of vows" so f you do a google search online you will get lots of ideas. Of course most people do a "renewal of vows" some 20 years after they are married, but there is no reason you can't do it 2 weeks after. I like the idea! ("you still sure? "Yes!")

Since you are not bringing friends or family, maybe the simplest thing is to look for a wedding photographer someplace that appeals to you to go. Do you want seaside or palaces? If you find a wedding photographer for Venice, they can recommend a hairdresser to you. And a place to buy flowers.

As for an officiant, a friend of mine who did this had his new brother-in-law-to-be officiate, but since you are "eloping" you will need to be creative. I know the type of person I would look for, but maybe you'd want somebody different. You'll have to do some legwork to make it happen, but sounds like fun.

Good luck with everything! Enjoy your adventure & romance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -