Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How soon should I book Scottish Highland Ferry tickets?

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will be 6 of us in two cars, in late June/early July. We are traveling by ferry to Orkney (Scrabster to Stromness), to Lewis (Ullapool to Stornoway), Skye (Tarbert to Uig) and to and from Mull (on at Lochaline, off from Oban).

I know there is a festival going on while we are on Orkney (St. Magnus Festival), so imagine I need to pre-book these. However, do I need to do this right away, or is a couple weeks out sufficient? For the others? Even needed to pre-book for the others?
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 05:20 PM

A few years ago, I was in Scotland and rented a car. went to both Skye and Mull via ferry. It was mid July and we never had trouble with just arriving at the ferry terminal and hour or so before sailing. Can't answer about others.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 08:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Unless you must be on a specific ferry - like the first of the day or last in the afternoon you should be fine. June/early July is not yet high season. If you want to - you can book a day or few days ahead by phone while in country. Or at any Tourist Information Center along your route.

A couple of times I've bought tix at the ferry, other times I've used the TIC in Edinburgh or Callander or wherever is convenient.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 03:35 AM

I don't know but the Scottish schools break up on the last Friday in June, so I think I would book any sailings from then onwards well in advance.

Is there any reason for you not to book asap ? Might your schedule change late in the day ?
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

I dislike forking out cash so far in advance if I don't need to - I'm stingy that way sometimes, hehe

I don't think the schedule will change, unless due to unforeseen circumstances (i.e., flat tire on the road from Scrabster to Ullapool or something). Some of the ferrys only have two per day, and the one day we have two ferries - one leaving Orkney in the morning, and one going to Lewis in the evening. So yes, those need to be specific ones.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 10:16 AM

We crossed from Oban to Mull in the afternoon of the first Friday in May last year(the first day of the Bank Holiday weekend). The ferry was fully booked and people were being turned away (and quite upset about it!)
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 05:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That was a bank holiday and I am amazed anyone would turn up w/o a booking??
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:32 PM

So Janis, don't you think the same would happen at the start of the main summer holidays ?
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

I will probably prebook about a month out. Maybe earlier for the Orkney ferries, as that is during the St. Magnus festival. Does that sound pretty safe?