Reload this Page >

How safe is Amsterdam?

Search

How safe is Amsterdam?

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:41 AM
tj

How safe is Amsterdam?

HILVERSUM, Netherlands (AP)(6 May 2002) - Right-wing Dutch politician Pim Fortuyn, whose anti-immigration party stunned the public with its strong showing in local elections last March, was shot six times and killed Monday as he left a radio interview.<BR><BR>

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:45 AM
confused

And your point would be?

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:52 AM
mpprh

hi<BR><BR>Amsterdam is one of the safest cities in Europe.<BR><BR>Certainly safer than NY<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:53 AM
tj

When a leading politician is assasinated its usually an indication of some degree of un-rest within the country, whether by internal or external forces.<BR><BR>And also sometimes followed by additional unrest.<BR><BR>I recognize that Mr. Fortuyn is considered to be a bit of an extremist that made him a constant target. By that line of thinking, there may not be any additional risk for the typical citizen or visitor, but nevertheless this seems a bit alarming for anyone travelling to the Netherlands.<BR><BR>So, I was looking for insight from some of the locals on the current environment.<BR><BR>Do you have any insight?

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Kevin

<BR>Topping for tj.

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:14 PM
ohplease

Oh please. The Netherlands is a stable democracy that has suffered a terrible tragedy. It is not unstable or unsafe.

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:45 PM
not

Have watched Dutch TV extensively today and apart from minor riots in The Hague last night, aimed at the established parties, the reaction - although overwhelming - is peaceful. Thousands of people are on the streets, crying, debating, shocked. The elections on May 15 will take place as planned. <BR>As previous posters said, the Netherlands is a stable country.

Old May 8th, 2002, 03:16 AM
XXX

Please don´t call demonstration a riot.

Old May 8th, 2002, 03:40 AM
MICHELE

The only problem I have had in Amsterdam is a "pickpocket" took my wallet other then that no problems.<BR>I love the city go back every year.

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Me

It felt very safe to me. Political Assassinations are a separate category from 'street' crime.

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Rhonda

Michele, Could you tell us more about the exact situation where the pickpocketing happened? I'll be in Amsterdam in June and would appreciate any details you're willing to share? Thank you.

Old May 8th, 2002, 10:26 AM
tj

<BR>Thanks for the topping and the responses.<BR><BR>Peter, I must commend you for deducing where I am from. Lucky guess? Or was it obvious?<BR><BR>I will be there next week during the election and will keep a close eye on my wallet.<BR><BR>I expected to hear that the environment was relatively un-changed for visitors, but wanted some re-assurance.<BR><BR>Will let you know how it goes - <BR><BR>By the way, there were few hotel vacancies for next week, has anyone stayed at the Sofitel in Amsterdam? Had followed up on several recommendations, but that was the only place I found available so far.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>