How Reliable is the TGV ???

Mar 31st, 2002, 02:28 PM
bobbie

How Reliable is the TGV ???

We plan to take the first TGV from St.Pierre des Corps (depart 9:03 A.M. -arrive CDG 10:49 A.M.)in order to catch a Plane which leaves at 1:55 P.M.(A 3 hour window)

If there is mechanical problems there is one other train that arrives at CDG 12:07 which will be cutting it close but would be okay in an emergency.

We are now worried because we have no idea how reliable the T.G.V. is.
Do you think we are taking a big chance?

We would usually take the train the day before to be safe but we have a lot of baggage.
It will be a hassel unless they still have a left luggage place in the airport TGV train station or at CDG airport

Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

Thanks loads

Bobbie

Mar 31st, 2002, 02:50 PM
Sue

I would ordinarily say that the TGVs are extremely reliable--always arrive and depart on the minute. But... I just read a post a few days ago about someone having a 1 1/2-hour delay due to technical difficulties from Paris to Provence, but I think that is really rare, especially because the train refunded them 30% of their ticket.

Mar 31st, 2002, 03:53 PM
StCirq

All I can tell you, Bobbie, is that I've taken approximately 30 TGVs in the last 10 years and only one of them wasn't on time. There was a cow on the tracks near Tours, and then a medical emergency which caused us to stop so someone could be evacuated. We were about 15 minutes late arriving in Bordeaux.

NO, I don't think you're taking a "big chance." I'm pretty confident you can count on the TGV.

Mar 31st, 2002, 04:23 PM
greg

I suppose this depends on what one means by being on time. I define being on time when the train starts moving out of the station within 1 min of the scheduled time. Of the 5 TGV I have taken during my last trip, only one was "on time". 3 others were 4min to 20min behind. One between Nice and Paris was 2 hrs behind. Also, even if the track and the trains are ok, the train employees strike more than you like.

Mar 31st, 2002, 04:40 PM
bobbie

I was starting to feel confident about taking the train the same day as my flight---
After gregs post Not so sure.

Anyone with an answer to my 2nd question please, please reply.
If we take the train the day before with a lot of luggage-is there a left luggage place to leave it overnight in either the airport or the train station so we don't have to drag it to a hotel?

Thanks again for any help

Bobbie

Mar 31st, 2002, 05:52 PM
StopWorrying

No, Bobbie, there isn't, so stop kvetching and worrying and take the frikkin' train, already! What's the worst that can happen? Your life ain't gonna end if you miss the frikkin' train!
Jeez! Take a valium and stop worryin' !

Mar 31st, 2002, 06:57 PM
bobbie

To "STOP WORRYING"
You're so right---my life won't end if I miss the train but just in case you didn't understand why I was so concerned I am connecting from the TRAIN to a PLANE.
Now of coarse my life won't end if I miss the plane either however,missing an international flight is not a great way to end a vacation.
Once again any real help will be appreciated
Thanks
Bobbie

Mar 31st, 2002, 07:37 PM
clairobscur

I consider the TGV as very reliable. I took many of them, and none has ever been seriously late (perhaps 15 minutes at most). Of course, anything could happen, like a strike, an accident blocking the traffic or whatever. But personnally, I wouldn't worry.