Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much to tip the Concierge in Paris????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am leaving for Paris in a few days, and I am staying in a small three-star hotel in St. Germain. The concierge has been very helpful in securing restaurant reservations, including a couple of three-stars as well as L'Astrance, a difficult reservation.

Any thoughts on what an appropriate tip would be?

Thanks.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 02:48 AM
ira

Hi fish,

5-10E when you leave.

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:06 AM

Hello Mr. Skis:

I seldom disagree with Brother Ira, but to show you the divergence of opinion on this board,here goes: My established practice is to tip the Concierge upon my arrival at the hotel when he has performed such service for me in advance. That gesture establishes immediate good faith IMO and seems to assure continuing good service while I am there. Of course, my practice has always been to tip the bartender when I first sit down; same rationale. As for the amount, that is purely personal preference. For the services you describe, I probably would double Ira's amount, but again this depends upon how you plan to use the Concierge during your stay. To each his/her own! Gradyghost
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:06 AM

The size of the hotel and its star rating are IRRELEVANT!!!

What IS totally relevant is the value you place on NOT having to perform these services yourself. (You might also ask yourself that if YOU were working for tips what YOU might expect for these sorts of services.)
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 03:16 AM

Someone suggested this: "You might also ask yourself that if YOU were working for tips what YOU might expect for these sorts of services."

It might be useful for an American, but for me it wouldn´t make any sense, beacuse working for tips doesn´t exist in most European countries. The concierge will be paid a decent salary anyway. If you feel he has done more than he does to most guests or he has done something special then tip him, but do not feel forced to do so. I am sure he will be pleased to receive whatever you decide to give him.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:45 AM

I would give a minimum of 5euro for each reservtion he secured - perhaps more if one was extradordinarily difficult. (Don;t worry if it's only a little difficult - that's his expertise.)

What's free from the concierge - IMHO - is giving out maps, directions, answering queries about transport and the neighborhood, arranging cabs and cars and booking tours (he gets a commission.)

Reservations always deserve a tip - and I base it on difficulty (if the 3 tenors are in town one night and sold out and he gets you front row seats - I would give 10% of the price of the seats).
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:42 AM

The very first time we rented an apartment in Paris in 1997, the owner, who lived in California, suggested that we give the on-site manager a tip when we first arrive rather than afterwards. Apparently, she would be more inclined to be helpful. We took the owner's advice and the manager was helpful despite the language barrier. Don't know if it would have made a difference if we did not tip her first.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 09:24 AM

I have to agree with an earlier response that a 5-10E tip to the concierge for restaurant reservations is a too low.
A 10E tip, in my estimation, is only good for the reservation at l'Astrance. Just so you don't feel too unsettled and be more guilt-free, I suggest that you give at leat 20E tip.

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys; great responses. My initial instinct was to tip 20 Euros (when I arrive,btw); I feared that 20 was too low, but since I have a tendency to overtip, I needed a second (or sixth) opinion.

Twenty it will be.