How much to do in Jersey?

May 10th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

How much to do in Jersey?

I am going to be traveling to Jersey from the US for business in July (hopefully accompanied by my wife) and am trying to decide if I should extend my stay (for about a week total, including about 3 days of business) or if I should just spend a day or so extra and stop in London for a few days on the way home. We are not into water sports or beach vacations typically and generally prefer sight seeing, hiking/walking, etc. I've also been to London before and won't have enough time in a few days to get into the other parts of the UK that I would like to visit. Is there enought to do in Jersey to warrant 5-7 days?
May 10th, 2011, 01:01 PM

moooooooo - not in my experience there - a day was enough - we walked around the whole islanid - cows are nice and the old town is nice. Take a boat over to Guernsey for a day and perhaps to Sark too or even to the French mainland - much close than England - so there are things to do day tripping from Jersey.
May 10th, 2011, 01:07 PM

La Hougue Bie
Elizabeth Castle
Mont Orguiel Castle
Maritime Museum and Occupatation Tapestry
Jersey War Tunnels are definately worth a visit

I spent 2 weeks there a few years ago and could easily have stayed there longer, its a lovely place to visit
May 10th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ, LOL. You're right, the other islands are closer than England, but I have to go through England to get home anyway, so it's not out of the way at all. Just a stop instead of continuing on.

Could I do day trips to the other islands keeping Jersey as my base to sleep or would I need to change hotels?

fredandginger, I guess it really is a matter of perspective. Some people can just relax and enjoy the scenery while others get bored more easily. I'm sure it's a very pleasant place to visit. Thanks for the input.
May 11th, 2011, 05:08 AM

i can't say i did much of the relaxing and enjoying the scenery part but i'm really into history and world war 2 and Jersey has plenty of interesting information on that score!

Could easily spend a couple of days on Jersey, couple of days on Guernsey, day maybe on Sark and to the French coast, how are you getting back to the UK? will you take the boat or fly? can fly from either Jersey or Guernsey
May 11th, 2011, 08:03 AM

One day most certainly isn't enough. We had about 4 days, and that was probably about right. Depends on your interests obviously. I have covered some of the places on the coast of Jersey in my blog http://postcards-pfte.blogspot.com/
May 12th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again.

fredandginger, I'll be flying back to the UK from Jersey -- I prefer not repack bags any more than I have to .

I think I got this figured out the best I can given the confines of my business travel. I'm going to get to Jersey on a Saturday morning (probably still a little tired from the flight the day before) and will have 2-3 days. Then I have to work for a couple of days. When the work is over I will have another full day and I will return to the UK the following afternoon (Friday), which will give me one more full day (Saturday) in London to do some things. I will return to the States on Sunday.

I figure between my free days and evenings after work I should be able to see and enjoy a good part of the island and even take a day trip to one of the other islands and I'll still have a day to spend in London before I go home.

Hopefully I'm not trying to pack too much in.