Notices

day trips out of B'ham?

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 03:56 AM
anne

day trips out of B'ham?

We will be in Birmingham in late Sept. for the Ryder Cup Matches. Arrive on Mon. morning. We only have a couple of days for touring before matches begin. Any suggestions? Considering Wales (day trip) or Stoke-on-Trent??? I guess it best to decide on one destination and do it justice. We could rent a car or should we depend on bus tours? We just returned from Scotland and have seen enough castles. Also, what about food choices. Found food in Scotland very limited, which speaks of how spoiled we are in U.S. Made immediate trip to Crackerbarrel upon deplaning at home.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:29 AM
Keith

Tons of options, really. The Belfry is just to the north of Birmingham, so you're within about 30 miles or so of Stratford-upon-Avon (home of Shakespeare) or Warwick Castle, both of which are to the south. A day trip into Wales is a possibility, presumably to the middle or north.

You could also visit the Black Country Living Museum to the north of Birmingham (Dudley, to be exact.) They have more or less rebuilt a small Victorian industrial town, complete with trams, a school, a fish & chip shop and a pub. In my opinion it really is worth a trip to go and see - it will take at least half a day to go round, though. They have a website - www.bclm.co.uk

As for food, if you like Indian / Asian food you should have no problem in Birmingham!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 06:56 AM
meg

I'm fascinated by your choice of Stoke on Trent- not the prettiest place in the world- unless you want to go to the Potteries Museums (Wedgewood and so on) or you're a keen fan of Robbie Williams!
I'd suggest Warwick Castle and Stratford upon Avon for one day and maybe north or central Wales -Powys for another

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 05:29 AM
xxx

North Wales.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Susan

We've just arrived back from England and spent two days with friends in Birmingham. We did two separate day trips from their home - one day to Ledbury and the other to Worcester. Both Ledbury and Worcester were beautiful and facinating and I would recommend visiting both wholeheartedly!

We also stayed with friends in Coventry and if you see only one Cathedral in England, PLEASE, make it Coventry Cathedral. It was one of the most moving and memorable sites visited during our stay in England.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Ann

I really hope you're joking about Cracker Barrel. Just thinking of that place makes me sick to my stomach. I got back yesterday from a trip to the UK, and spent a few days in Scotland. With the exception of trying to find decent sandwiches, the food we had was absolutely wonderful. Can't beat a good bowl of cullen stink, even if the name isn't very alluring.

Anyway, for day trips, Wales and Stratford are pretty good bets. Besides, Stratford has a Pizza Hut, so you should love it there.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Ann

WHOOPS! Big mistake there--cullen SKINK.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:05 AM
curious

Ann - What sort of place is Crackerbarrel and what is your idea of a decent sandwich?

Thanks
curious

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Tony Hughes

There's actually a certain alluring naivety that I like about Cracker Barrel. Olde-Style heart attack food with cherry cobbler washed down with syrupy Coke(TM).