Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much time should we alot to the Alhambra?

Aug 24th, 2018, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

We will be in Granada for three days in early April and hoping to see the Alhambra and other sites. I am trying to decide whether to book 2 separate Tours to the Alhambra. It seems they allow 3300 people during the day and only 400 in the evening. My debate is whether to spend the entire day at the Alhambra or tour the Naz red palace one morning and see the garden in the evening. Or do the reverse to avoid the crowds. Opinions please.
Aug 24th, 2018, 07:29 AM

I recommend seeing all of the Alhambra during the day: The Nasrid Palace, Generalife Gardens, and Alcazaba. The gardens are beautiful and should be seen during the day. You can also book the night tour to visit the Nasrid Palace. We spent almost an entire day at the Alhambra (including a lunch break, and then a drink/snack break), and then we returned in the evening for the night tour. The Alhambra is outstanding, during the day and at night!
Aug 24th, 2018, 08:50 AM

Here (below link) is our visit to the Alhambra (both day and night). 4 1/2 hours was quite sufficient for us to visit everything we wanted during the day, including the palace and gardens (very special place). By then, you'll be ready for a GinTonic (or 2).

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...mbra-by-night/

Aug 24th, 2018, 09:05 AM

We booked 3 sets of tickets, 1 for the afternoon on the day we arrived, another set for the following afternoon, and another for the night. We like taking pictures leisurely and wanted the opportunity to go back and retake shots we may have missed. It may sound excessive but I was glad we did that. It poured incessantly during our stay, except for the afternoon of our second visit. The Alhambra was beautiful in the rain and in the sun but I enjoyed the sunny visit more. I was underwhelmed by the night visit, maybe because of the rain, or maybe because the lighting was nowhere as dramatic as I would have expected or wanted it to be. It also seemed very crowded, particularly considering how rainy it was. We spent an entire day at the Alhambra and I could have spent more. I loved Granada in general and will probably revisit, I feel it was the most underrated of all the destinations somehow.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmecByfU
Aug 24th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses. So I guess I will get at least two reservations. Mai Tai, I loved reading your trip report about your days in Granada. I think I will definitely have to check out your dinner spot at Carmen de Aben Humeya. And I promise to text you with at least one gin and tonic.
Aug 24th, 2018, 06:11 PM
kja

I agree: several visits! I recommend a day-time visit, starting as early as you find reasonable. During the day, you can visit the entire Alhambra, but you will do so with MANY others, so be prepared for crowds. (I spent the full day there, and could easily have used more time.) In the evening, you can visit the magnificent Nasrid Palace (only) with just a few other visitors. When I was there, everyone who was there for the evening visit spoke very, very quietly, and I found it absolutely magical! I didn't need to learn about what I was seeing -- I had done that during the day. But I got to see this incredible palace with very different lighting, and to smell the flowering shrubs, and hear the fountains, and … well, I'm sure you get it. Since I was there, I believe the Alhambra also offers evening visits to the Generalife, and if I had the chance, I would snag one of those reservations, too! Do be aware that advance reservations for the Alhambra are critical.
Aug 25th, 2018, 01:58 PM

This is just personal opinion. I think I spent maybe 4 hours there, not sure, and that was fine for me. There isn't any place in the world I would want to spend multiple days visiting, at least not one complex. I really don't even know what someone would do spending so many hours there. And the whole nighttime thing caters to some tourist fantasy, I don't get it, it's just a historic building. There isn't any building I would prefer to see at night as you can't see it as well. But seeing a garden in the evening doesn't make any sense to me.
Aug 25th, 2018, 02:31 PM
kja

Sunsets can be quite late in Granada, allowing evening visits to the gardens prior to nightfall.
Aug 25th, 2018, 02:39 PM

As far as the night time visit after day time visit, upon further review I would probably skip. I'd rather enjoy a leisurely night in Granada with a good meal. The night tour of the Alhambra was interesting enough, but but not enough to warrant a second visit.

Aug 25th, 2018, 02:45 PM

"Carmen de Aben Humeya"

If you do, be sure to reserve the outdoor patio, It was a special meal on our trip to be sure. Have a great time!

Aug 25th, 2018, 04:06 PM

We spent four nights in Granada in March and enjoyed our two visits to the Alhambra. We had early morning tickets for the first visit but unfortunately it poured the whole time we were there. We returned the next day for the night tour and really enjoyed it! There was a full moon and no rain. The Nasrid Palace was gorgeous at night and much less crowded. We finished our tour with plenty of time for some fun tapas downtown. Highly recommend two visits!
Aug 27th, 2018, 01:31 PM

Another vote for being underwhelmed by the night visit. I also found the lighting severely lacking and I found it more crowded than I anticipated. However my day visit was spectacular and the #1 highlight during my first trip to Spain. Between the 3 major sites, I believe I spent 5-6 hours in total with no lunch break.