Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much time needed to change trains in Milan?

Sep 1st, 2010, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

We're doing the Venice - Como train route, which requires a change in Milan. I see that we have 15 minutes to change trains. Never been to the Milan station. Is that enough time to change trains?

Thanks
Sep 1st, 2010, 05:58 AM

Assuming you're changing to an FS train, and not to the trains operated from a totally different station by Ferrovie del Nord, it's easily enough - as long as the arriving train's on time.

Walk to the front of your train, look for the platform number of the departing one (or prereseach it), then walk across the concourse to it. Though it's a big station, train to train connections are generally straightforward: can't really take more than 10 mins.

BUT the chances of your arriving train being 5 or more mins late are very high indeed. Don't commit to a seat on a specific train - and don't burst a blood vessel trying to connect.
Sep 1st, 2010, 05:59 AM

Should be enough. Milan is a decent size station but you will time to find your next platform easy.
Sep 1st, 2010, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. I think you're right that the bigger worry is the arrival of the 1st train. We'll have to cope.
Sep 1st, 2010, 08:47 AM

If you are using the Eurostar City trains then you should arrive at Milan on time and this would mean that 15 minutes is sufficient. When you get to the end of the platform turn right as all the trains for Como leave from platforms 1 - about 7.
To know whether you are running late note when the train should leave from Brescia and check against when you actually leave. If things are running fine ask the train personnel what alternatives there are. Depending on the time of day and if the train is running late you may find an alternative train for Como which leaves from Milano Porta Garibaldi. Your ticket for Como would be valid for that station too.
Sep 1st, 2010, 09:04 AM

Buy your ticket all the way to your como destination at Venice so you don't have to spend time buying a ticket in Milan. and don't forget to stamp it before boarding the train.
Sep 1st, 2010, 09:09 AM

I've only been there once (connecting between Venice for a nighttrain to Paris) but I found the Milan train station huge and confusing. I would figure out when the next train you could take would be, just to take the stress out in case you miss that connection you hope for.