Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

So you have to change trains on the way from Milan to Varenna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if the train from Milan to Varenna involved changing trains, or if it is direct?
Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:38 AM

As long as you are on the right train, you will not have to change trains. (I am assuming Milano Centrale)
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:07 PM
Singletail

Trains from Centrale leave every two hours for Varenna (one hour and 20 minutes) with two stops on the way in Monza and Lecco.

Make sure you get on the correct train (most of them end up in Tirano...NOT Turino) and the actual name of the station is Varenna-Esino.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:38 PM
cmt

It depends which train you take. When I arrived via shuttle from Malpensa, it was too late for the train from Milano Centrale and it would've been a long wait until the next one. So I took the train from a different station (I forgot which one) and I DID have to change, I think at Lecco. The change was easy. (I can't say the same for getting to the other station, with a too-heavy bag, in a jet-lagged state.) The worst problem was convincing the ticket clerk that she could in fact sell me a ticket to Varenna even though there were no trains to Varenna leaving from that station. For reasons that remain a mystery, she could not find that connection, even though I had found it very easily on the Internet from home. Fortunately I had printed out the schedule from the Trenitalia website. Not only did the ticket clerk not know or apparently not believe me that there was a way I could connect to Varenna via Lecco, but...get this...she said she couldn't sell me a ticket until later because she didn't know the price! Meanwhile, the minutes were ticking away, and I was afraid I'd miss this train, after going through all the trouble to get to this other train station. It was all unnecessarily exciting and harrowing, but once I got on the train, everything was fine. If you have a choice, get the train directly to Varenna from Centrale.

By the way, you may need to be aware that the Varenna train station is closed, so you cannot ask questions or buy tickets there. If you need a ride to town, there's a taxi driver who lives in the house across from the station. He'll probably stick his head out the window when he hears a train arrive.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

cmt - Is the Varenna train station not "in town", then? How far away is it?
Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:52 AM

The train station is a VERY short and obvious walk into the center of town.( no more than 1/8 mile but does involve a hill.)