Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How Much Time Needed to Change Planes at CDG?

Feb 15th, 2004, 05:57 PM
tpl
Original Poster

Hello,

My husband and I are flying United RT from SFO to CDG in late April. Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 10:20am. From there we will be taking a code-shared Air France/Alitalia flight to Rome (ticketed separately). We can either take a 12:35pm flight or a 2pm flight to CDG. Our preference is for the earlier flight, but we're wondering if that will allow enough time to go through passport control/customs/ and get to our next gate.

The flight from SFO will arrive in terminal 1; the Rome flight departs from terminal 2. United has advised a connection time of not less than 2 hours, and has told us that we can check our bags all the way through to Rome from SFO (although I seem to recall that you have to manually identify and re-check your bags anyway when flying within Europe).

We could go carry-on in the interest of saving time, but I have a feeling our United-allowed carry-ons might be larger than the other carriers allow, so that may not help.

In any case, if the flight arrives on-time, we will have 2 hours and 15 minutes to get to our next flight. Does this seem reasonable, or should we plan on the later flight? We are flying (upgraded) business class on UA, so can hang out in the lounge while we wait for the later flight. Perhaps this is a more realistic plan? BTW, favorable winds once got me into CDG an hour early from SFO, though I realize this is not the norm.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:16 PM

What is the stand-by policy for the AF/Alitalia flight? Maybe a compromise is to book the later flight, but plan to standby on the earlier flight if you get in early enough?
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:28 PM

I've never flown United to Rome through CDG but I've done other difficult connections in less than an hour (in those cases a rep met us at the gate). I think you have more than enough time to make the 12:35.

CDG has never been fun and changing terminals will be exhausting. Don't hesitate to ask directions as you find your way. The only stop will be Passport Control. You will not come in contact with your luggage if it's checked all the way through. But you and your carry-ons will have to go through security again and those lines can be long. Changing planes is much less dramatic than you envision. Just be prepared for the long, brisk walk.
Feb 15th, 2004, 07:01 PM

You should be able to make that without any problem IF your flight is on time. I've made flights with only 45-60 min. between them at CDG at diff. terminals.

Do you think you could easily get put on the later flight if you happen to miss the first one? If so, I'd book the 12:35.
Feb 15th, 2004, 08:12 PM

standard transfer time at charles degaulle is about 45 minutes....last time i did it in 25 minutes with no hastle....follow the transfer signs as soon as you get off the plane....should not require any immigration procedures....this assumes that you check your luggage through from SF to rome....take the early one
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:30 PM
tpl
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I checked again with United --apparently the other agent I spoke with was incorrect. We do *not* have to manually re-check bags when transferring and going through passport control.

BTW, I've changed planes at CDG many times before, but never on separately ticketed carriers. I think that was why UA gave me such strange information.

Hopefully, as bad as CDG is, it will be better than past experiences at LHR!
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:55 PM

I would ask this question on the appropriate forum (Flyertalk Airports) on flyertalk.com. CDG Terminal 1 is due to be renovated, beginning in April. I haven't a clue if or how that will affect your plans, but it can't hurt to ask.

I would also ask about boarding pass arrangements, i.e. is there a transfer desk so that you can stay airside in between the two terminals. If you have to go landside to get your pass, obviously that changes things considerably re connection time.