Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much time between FCO arrival to Leonardo Express?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long did it take you from the gate arrival to your seat on the Leonardo Express? We (4) will be arriving the Sunday of the Easter week and looking at the FCO web site, 8am is a busy time at FCO. Obviously my worry is not the FCO-ROME segment, but the segment afterwards. I know train seats are hard to come by during the Easter so I am planning to make a reservation a week ahead.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:43 AM

Realistically, you cannot average out the wait times of all the people who might respond so I'll hazard the following guess as to what you'll hear:

one hour is too short for it to seem a safe bet; three hours seems too long even under the most trying circumstances; therefore I suggest you allow at least two hours.

Would you rather have too much time on your hands than not enough?

Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:14 AM

IF your luggage arrives on the baggage carousel in a timely fashion, then you can be from your gate to the FCO Leonardo Express in under an hour.

I wouldn't be willing to bet on this though... we have had luggage issues before at FCO.

I'd leave at least an hour and a half. If you breeze through in 45 minutes, read your travel guide
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:00 AM
GAC

To reduce the lag time between gate arrival and boarding the Leonardo Express, don't check any baggage!

With respect to making ADVANCE seat reservations on ES or IC trains out of Roma Termini, here's a tip: assuming you're NOT travelling on one of the discount promotional tickets, reserve on a LATER departing train, giving yourself ample commute time. Once you arrive at the Fiumicino Airport Train Station and determine that you'll be able to make an earlier train out of Roma Termini, request a SEAT RESERVATION change (free of charge on ES trains, 3 Euros for IC trains) to the earlier departing train. Be sure to allow at least 15 minutes connection time at Roma Termini, and make certain the the Leonardo Express is running on time.

If you're travelling on a PROMOTIONAL DISCOUNT ticket, be aware that reservation changes to EARLIER departing trains will result in your paying the difference between the promotional fare (already paid) and the regular fare (for the earlier departing train), PLUS a fee of 5 Euros per seat.

Also be aware that if you have an electronic ticket and you MISS your train, you must re-book to a later departing train WITHIN ONE HOUR, lest your electronic ticket loses all value. This is the danger of having an electronic ticket on a train which does not allow you sufficient connection time from the airport. Hence the advantage of booking seats on a LATER departing train as a precaution.

Anyway, these are my thoughts .....
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:17 AM

Seems to me if you don't have any checked luggage, you can walk from the gate to the train easily in less than half an hour, including time to deplane. If you have checked luggage, it's really anybody's guess, right?

If it weren't Easter Sunday, I'd suggest getting your train tickets at the same time you purchase the Leonardo Express tickets, so you would know which train you could make. But I think you have no choice but to allow considerable extra time given the situation. If it is really busy, there will also be a line to purchase the tickets for the Leonardo Express.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:40 AM
ira

Hi Greg,

May I suggest that what you really want to know is, "Will I make the 11:30 train if I am scheduled to arrive at FCO at 08:00"?

Maybe. We arrived at the head of the tracks at Rome TE at 11:30 and watched the train leave. Since we had tickets on the 12:30, we went to the self-serve restaurant, had a salad and a glass of wine and settled into the rhythm of Italy.