Search

guess on time

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guess on time

Hi - Just a quick question before we head off to Italy on Sunday. Can anyone provide a ball park time frame from arriving at FCO, picking up luggage (assuming it arrives with us) etc etc and arriving at the train station in Rome. I will assume my flight will arrive on time - approximately 10:15am on a Monday. Just trying to anitcipate what train we might make to take us on to Venice. It's our first trip to Italy and I am more than excited. A long time in planning and now it's here. If anyone can provide some info it will be appreciated.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 02:15 PM

Waiting for luggage at FCO can be reasonable or interminable. I've usually had good luck and manage to reach the FCO train station by about an hour after my arrival time.

Allow some time to buy ALL your tickets at the FCO train station.

The Leonardo Express departs every half hour on the :08s and :38s and takes 31 minutes to reach Roma Termini.

Allow 15 minutes at Roma Termini to walk from the Leonardo Express arrival platform to your departure platform.

So, if your experience is like my experience, you arrive at 10:15 and reach the FCO train station at 11:15. You catch the 11:38 Leonardo Express, arriving at Roma Termini at 12:10. The next possible train is the 12:45 which arrives at Venezia SL at 16:33. There are trains to Venice after that every hour on the :45s. (The previous train is at 11:45, which might be possible if you don't check luggage, but I wouldn't count on it.)

If you had to take the next Leonardo Express at 12:08, it arrives at 12:39 and you will have to race to find the platform for the 12:45. if you haven't been to Roma Termini before, I would not recommend this. The Leonardo Express could be delayed by a minute or two and you'd have no hope of catching your train.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 02:33 PM

We waited 45 minutes easily for our luggage at FCO, but we had booked with Roma Limousine service (or something like that). The trip in was about 40 minutes. The fare was 50 euros but there were 5 of us so it wasn't too expensive and it was a lot easier.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 02:45 PM
J62

A few years ago it took me 90min to get through immigration, and another 45min to wait for luggage. That was on top of a 45min arrival delay.

I don't think you can count on booking a specific train ahead of time, especially if you are looking for discounted fares. Those fares come with restrictions on flexibility.

The consistent advice here on Fodors is to simply buy your tickets when you arrive.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all - I was planning on waiting to buy my ticket once we arrived after reading all the advice given on all the various threads. Just needed somewhat of an idea as to what time we might arrive at the train station. You've all been super helpful. Will let you know how it goes. (Four days - but who's counting)
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 08:21 PM

US airlines seem to be quicker than Alitalia in returning your luggage to you at baggage claim. Last fall we waited over an hour and 23 minutes for our luggage and when I FINALLY found an Alitalia agent he told me that they were on a coffee break? When I asked why would they do that when a jumbo plane comes in with people making connections he just shrugged his shoulders and said"they always have their coffee break at this hour".We were making a connection to Sicily and I was over the edge!
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 03:30 AM

"We were making a connection to Sicily and I was over the edge!"

It would be very easy to spend much of one's time in Italy "over the edge" over things you can't do anything about.

They have their way of doing things, and they aren't going to change them for you. You must change your expectations or risk being very miserable.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 04:33 AM

eurocheapo.com super budget transport tips for Rome to Venice

did this in May took train FCO termini 30-45 minutes hopped the

"FrecciaArgento" train to Venice 3.5 hours seat61.com

If you find you need a hotel to/from in May for me

hotwire.com $69 for their secret south rome hotel the

Sheraton Roma a nice 4 star was great for me with FCO shuttle

cheapest decent hotel I found in Rome...
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 04:35 AM

Do not worry you cannot miss the Venice Trains they leave

hourly all day and most of the night... Happy Journey
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 10:56 AM

jk1348m, these posts will walk you through the FCO arrivals area, get you to the train station... and prepare you if you're headed back out through FCO (OUCH!).

http://tinyurl.com/FCO-arrive
http://tinyurl.com/t3-baggage
http://tinyurl.com/FCO-trains
http://tinyurl.com/fco-again

I once had the baggage handlers GO ON STRIKE while we were waiting for our luggage at FCO. They declared a work-stoppage for more than an hour - so we just waited, not knowing when the stoppage would end. Gotta love Italy!
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 08:20 AM
ira

Hi jk,

The longest it took us was:
Scheduled landing: 08:00
Arrival at Roma Termini: 11:30, just in time to see the train pull out.

There is a nice self-serve resto at RT where you can get a something and people watch while waiting for the 14:45.

Enjoy your visit.