Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How many palaces, houses and castles is too many?

Old Jul 26th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In doing my research of stately homes, palaces and castles, I have such a long list that one would need a few months to see them all.

One of the ones often mentioned is Waddesdon Manor in Buckinhamshire. We plan on seeing a number of other stately homes though in the Southeast and would like to spend some time in London as well.

So I was wondering, is Waddesdon Manor one of those "must sees" or since we will be seeing plenty of other wonderful stately homes too, should we focus more of our energy on the museums in London and save Waddesdon Manor for another time? I was wondering if after a while the more stately homes we would see, the more they would all start to look the same and begin to merge together.

Opinions appreciated.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 05:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
This won't help - but Waddesdon is 100% nothing like any others you will see during your trip. Now - if you have seen any French chateaux - that would be similar. Or some of the Edwardian era homes in New England - yes sort of similar.

I LOVE Waddesdon! Not everyone does. When I took the members of my book club a few years ago though, it was a favorite of several if them.

So decide mainly on if it fits in your driving route, not on how many other stately homes/ palaces you are visiting. (I've been to Waddesdon at least ten times,, probably a dozen). I'd go on a day the bachelors quarters are included - at least in the past that was only offered certain days of the week.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 05:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
When I have a car or a friend is driving we plan on a maximum of 2 a day. That leaves time for a leisurely lunch, usually at the tea room of one of the homes unless there's a more interesting possibility in the neighborhood. I suppose you could have another in the vicinity in waiting should you decide that you don't care for 1 of the 2 you've chosen. But do try to make your choices within easy driving distance of each other. There are so many places to see you'll want to be organized in that way, no need to drive great distances on any given day.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the bachelors quarters are open Wed-Fri I believe. If we were to go I think we would be taking the train from London rather than driving because it is north of London and we most likely would have returned the car by then to go to into London. Train to Aylesbury and then taxi over to the manor.

We also want to see the natural history museum, the science museum, a revisit to the National Gallery, maybe the Bank of England museum etc etc etc in London--you get the picture.

I know going to Waddesdon Manor is probably a whole day activity. Does the natural history museum also need a day to fully appreciate it? Can you see a lot in only a few hours? I read sometimes the queues are long there.

I keep adding stuff except the number of days to work with.

I should start a separate thread but I wonder how the London natural history museum compares to the American museum of natural history in NY, the Field Museum in Chicago and the Carnegie museum in Pittsburg--they have a really extensive dinosaur collection.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 07:43 PM

N.B. If you visit enough castles you will immediately become a fire breathing liberal.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 09:06 PM

Hi again EN

The Natural History museum is a great visit (and free) but I wouldn't say it is that unique compared to Chicago and DC (I haven't been to the others you listed).

We visited during this trip (photos, etc.):

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-with-kids.cfm
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 09:08 PM

oops -- didn't see your other thread
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 09:40 PM

OK - I can't remember but aren't you going to the Cotswolds/Oxford during the time you have the car? You could easily swing by Waddesdon before heading down to London and turning in the car. That would be much more efficient than trying to do it from London. You really only need about two hours at the Manor -- but w/ travel from/to London it would take most of the day.

From Woodstock for instance it takes less than 45 minutes to Waddesdon. And from Oxford even less.

W/o young children along I personally wouldn't spend much/any time in either the Natural History or Science museums.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 11:33 PM

Do you have John Soane's House Museum on your list?
It is amazing, and might be another reason to see more in London:

http://www.soane.org/
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

On our last trip we went to Cotswolds/Oxford so we don't plan on returning there this trip. On the next trip--next year really--we plan on covering the Southeast--Kent, East Sussex before going into London for a return visit. Therefore, we plan on returning the car before going into London but we would be coming from the south. That is why I think the best would be to take the train from London to visit Waddesdon but that would involve a whole day given the travel back and forth.

We did see the John Soane's Museum on our first trip to London. It was really fascinating. Very quirky with his collection. We even had a guided tour of the room with the Hogarth paintings which we enjoyed.

I have such a long laundry list of places we would love to visit but of course only a limited amount of time.

We do love natural history museums as you can see from my other post but was wondering if instead of dedicating a full day for the history museum (I read some posts and reviews which said they spent the entire day there or could have), maybe I can squeeze it in with something else and free up one of our days to visit Waddesdon Manor. Of course, by the time we have seen the other palaces and stately homes we may just be too tired to venture off to see another one. Unless it is so spectacular we really shouldn't miss it. That is why I am trying to gather as much information as possible about each place so we can make informed decisions when we get there and decide what we want to see.

Thanks for your opinions.

Indy-dad--if you visit NY, you really should go the natural history museum there. It is huge and has a very extensive collection. I think your kids would love it. That is a place you can easily spend the entire day and maybe only see a fraction of it.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 10:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
One of the ones often mentioned is Waddesdon Manor in Buckinhamshire. We plan on seeing a number of other stately homes though in the Southeast and would like to spend some time in London as well. >>

"never 'eard of it" [as my grandad would have said] and as I've lived the entirety of my 56 years [save the odd holiday] in England I think you can take it that it's not a "must see". however, a glance at the website has persuaded me that I've been missing something!

http://www.waddesdon.org.uk/house/

[and it's NT so it won't cost us anything to visit it - so it's going on my list!]
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 10:16 AM

Well then - Since you are not going to be anywhere in the vicinity I don't see the value of going up to Waddesdon. It is a very interesting place - but it doesn't fit with the rest of your itinerary. I'm sure there are many other worthwhile places/sites nearer/in London that you haven't visited (or want to visit again)

I personally wouldn't spend a day visiting Waddesdon . . . And I LOVE the place.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 10:26 AM

IMHO if you have seen the Nat'l Hist Museums in NYC and DC - London is interesting - but not significantly different. I love NH museums and have been to all (but I've been to London about 15 times) - but while in the UK would go for something I can see only there - not in major cities in the US.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

We do want to go to Bletchley Park too which doesn't seem that far from Waddesdon but Bletchley would be a full day visit by itself. Bletchley seems an easy train ride to and from London.

Maybe Waddesdon then should just wait for another time when we can visit Stowe and other things in the area. So the mansion is good for a couple of hours but I guess we shouldn't waste an entire day trying to travel to and from just to see it?

I know there are so many things in London we would like to visit that which we skipped the first time and revisit some others.

I am glad to add things to your local itinerary Annhig! Enjoy--provide feedback but most likely we will save it for another time.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 11:01 AM

Then if it was me - I'd rent a car for the day and do Waddesdon and Bletchley Park and/or Stowe.

London to Bletchley Park to Waddesdon and back to London (of course depending on where in London) would take about 3.5 hours car time.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Right now I don't know if we want to rent another car during the same trip. In addition, I read that Bletchley Park with the computer museum can also fill up most of a day so won't leave much time then for Waddesdon or Stowe.

I'd like to make it work but at the moment I think I am leaning toward saving it for another trip instead.
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 03:46 AM

Rats! When I saw your subject line, I thought I was going to get to tell you about Stendhal's Syndrome, but all you want to talk about is whether you should go to Waddesden Manor. Pfui!
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 04:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wanna see a "stately TOWN home" in London that also has art? The Wallace Collection.
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 10:11 AM

I'd never heard of it either, but after reading this thread we went to Waddesdon Manor today (we're National Trust for Scotland memmbers, so we don't have to pay admission charges for National Trust properties in England either). I have to say I was a bit disappointed and frustrated by the day out. Parking is a complete mess - they don't appear to have a "proper" car park, so everyone is directed to park along the long access road. There are no signs to direct you from here to the house on foot, so we ended up going the long way round, up-hill in hot sunshine: a rather tiring, and unnecesarily long as it turned out, 20 minute walk.

Once you get the house in view, it is indeed stunning and much more like a French chateau than a normal English stately home. Entry is by timed ticket which helps control the numbers inside, but unfortuantely not the oppressive summer heat. Windows are not allowed to be opened, I was curtly informed, as it will affect the works of art on display, and cuase the heating to come on! Total BS, as most stately homes we've visited (and there are many) DO open windows to create some ventilation on a hot, humid day. It was so uncomfortably hot inside we limited the time we spent inside. A shame as they had some wonderful paintings and rooms. Unlike some other NT places which have introduced more innovative things like newspapers of the day you can pick up and read, and costumed staff, Waddesdon is firmly "old school", with everything behind rope barriers and in dingy old glass display cases, whith staff on hand to watch you don't touch.

The various cafes and the restaurant looked good for lunch or afternoon tea, and the gardens were good (though not amazing). I would definitely not describe it as a "must see", though worth popping in if you are in the area.
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Unlike some other NT places which have introduced more innovative things like newspapers of the day you can pick up and read, and costumed staff, Waddesdon is firmly "old school", with everything behind rope barriers and in dingy old glass display cases, whith staff on hand to watch you don't touch.>>

i agree it wounds pretty stultified. you should tell the NT about your negative experiences.

the ones we visited last year were much better organised and more accessible; perhaps we're more advanced in the West country. we went to Stourhead, [where you could play the piano], Lytes Cary [where you could play tennis] and Montacute [where they had a lecturer explaining the significance of the elizabethan art. later in the year we went to Colerton Fishacre [home of the D'Oyly Carte family] where they had decorated it for Christmas in 1930s style.

Striking Waddesdon Hall OFF my wish list.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -