How Long in Dublin?

Old Mar 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Long in Dublin?

I am interested in going to Dublin for a short - 6-7 day get-away with my husband.

Is Dublin the sort of place one could spend 5 full days?

We are the kind of people that like to spend alot of time in one place and really get a feel for it, hang out, wander around, shop, drink, eat, take our time. For example, we spent 10 days in Venice a few years back and loved every minute. We still didn't see it all. People said we were crazy to spend that much time there, but that's how we do things.

Some people have told me Dublin is not someplace you "go see", but someplace you include on your way to other places.

I have read alot, and it seems to have some interesting sights, and pubs, and shops.

Comments?
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 04:22 PM

I loved Dublin and regret not spending more time there. Definitely on my list of places to go back to. If settling in one home base is your travel style, I think Dublin will offer you plenty to see, do, and enjoy. There are great parks to just relax and watch the world go by.

By the way, I just loved the fact that you read and studied your destination; you would think this is the norm, but you would be amazed how many people come to this forum and just copy somebody else's Guides/experience and stamp it THEIRS.
BORING.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 06:35 PM

Have been to Dublin 4 times - 3 on business with a couple of days vacation attached - and found a lot to do. If you want you can add a day trip or so, depending on you interests. (We did Newgrange one day and it was incredibly fascinating.)

I don;t understand why people don't spend more time in Dublin - there are many things to do besides the obvious - Book of Kells at Trinity and Dublin Castle. Definitely get some theater tickets -preferably someone local if possible - like Shaw or Wilde.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 07:54 PM

Only been to Dublin once but really enjoyed it...theatre, pub music, churches, history, charm. Yes, Newgrange, Glendalough, Tara not so far away. So yes, just the city for you to wander and enjoy. Very walkable city.

Bill in Springfield, MO
[email protected]
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 08:54 PM

If you enjoyed 10 days in Venice you should do well with a week in Dublin. And I heartily second the suggestion to try local theatre.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

I always research. I'm a big planner, and drive my husband crazy. He is just the opposite, so I guess we compliment each other. He calls me the "Queen of Guidebooks" but I think the research is half the fun of the trip!

Due to schedule constraints (we are already traveling in May and late Sept), we would have to go in June, July or August. I am thinking late June would work with our schedules, however, I know that is nearing the July/Aug rainy season and that the best time to go is May/Sept for weather and lighter crowds.

To me, good weather is a big part of our trip - it's just not as much fun traipsing around in the rain, although of course I realize you can't predict, and don't expect perfect weather.

Would we be OK in June (likely) or best to hold off until next year for this trip? Hate to do that, as airfares to Dublin are such a great deal right now!
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:48 AM

Go for it. I loved Dublin. It is not a huge city, which is its charm and definitely tons to do for that long.

I believe Dublin is on the "sunny" side of the country. Someone help me with this, but isn't the weather a bit better there than on the west coast?

We were there at the end of July and the weather was perfect. It had rained a lot on our trip, but I don't think you can really get away from that. It was never too hot or too crowded. It was just really nice.

People never comment on how beautiful Dublin is. I was just expecting a city, but there is a lovely river running through it and the building are nice and it is very clean.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:49 AM

The July/Aug rainy season? Back to the guidebooks for you: read about Irish weather. The rainy season here runs from January to December.

Crowds are not a major consideration in Dublin, as it is not primarily a tourist destination. It is a busy city where some tourism is fitted in with all the other things that are happening.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Such is the problem with guidebooks, which is why I always check this forum.

Here's what the guidebook(s) (two) say:

"Spring - March to May - is mild with mostly clear skies and a mix of sunshine and showers. April and May are the driest months. Summer - June to August - is bright and warm but notoriously unpredictable. July is particularly showery." (This is not supported by looking at the average rainfall in Weather.com, however).

"Spring and Autumn are usually good times for a peek. You have a better chance of some peace and quiet and the weather can be surprisingly better in April and September than in mid-July."

We'd prefer to go in July given our schedules, but if the weather were "usually" better in June, we woud opt for that time.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 07:50 AM

The weather is not usually better in June. July is slightly warmer; rainfall levels are about the same (and not that high, really; far more rain falls on the west coast).

Get the whole story here: http://www.met.ie/climate/dublinairport.asp
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 08:22 AM

Dublin has so much to offer. We started with the Viking splash tour which gives you a good overview. Then we did the musuems, Dublin Castle, Malahide Castle, Christchurch and Nashes library.

Try to stay in the city centre. We stayed at the Morrison Hotel last http://www.morrisonhotel.ie/ . It had the advantage of being close to a Luas stop(tram system)and the half penny bridge which will bring you into temple bar.