Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How long does it take once you exit plane till you exit Gatwick?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying from US to Gatwick in mid-June. How much time do we allocate once we deboard the plane for airport formalities? I need to order train tickets and I don't know what time we'll be able to make the train.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:14 PM
yk

It is quite impossible to answer your question. If you're flying upfront (either Business or First) and can go thru the short-cut, then you should be out rather quickly.

But if you're sitting back of the plane and NOT an EU/UK/Swiss citizen, your wait can be anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour thru immigration.

It depends on:
- how many overseas flights are arriving when your flight arrives
- how many non-EU vs EU/UK/Swiss pax arriving
- how many immigration officers are working the day you arrive

Also to consider, will your flight arrive on time?

If the train tickets are non-refudable and non-changable, I'd just wait until you get there to buy them.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:20 PM

I agree. It's quick & easy to buy the train tickets at the airport so there is no need to order them in advance.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Really no need to pre-book tickets. If you are taking the Gatwick Express, you can buy them on board when the conductor comes around half way into London.

If you are taking a different train - there is a ticket office right in the terminal.

How long it will take you to exit Arrivals has too many variable to give you an accurate answer.
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:13 PM

For the trains into London from Gatwick you don't need to prebook.

For the trains to Scotland from London you need to book several weeks in advance - NOTE that travelling on a Saturday could involve slower / more expensive travel as weekends are the days when they fiddle with the train tracks.

As you want to go to Scotland get the First Capital Connect Train to St Pancras then walk next door to Kings Cross and dump your luggage at the left luggage place there.

Then pick up your prebooked tickets for Scotland and spend a couple of hours being a tourist - The British Library is next door to St Pancras and the British Museum is a 15 minute walk.

If you want to go further afield then buy a 1 day travelcard from the Kings Cross Tube station
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:55 AM

Difficult to say. Even if immigration is quite quick baggage reclaim can be horrendously slow. If you are arriving in the 7:00-9:00 am slot I'd think you'd be lucky to get out in under an hour on most days.
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Neal,

I'd be inclined to go for the later train, rather than earlier.

if you've got a lot of time to spare, there are lots of places where you can have a spot of breakfast or your first proper cup of tea.

regards, ann