A few Paris Questions...

Search

A few Paris Questions...

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few Paris Questions...

We are leaving for Paris in 2 weeks! I have a few questions regarding reservations, etc.

First we want to take a ride on the Seine. We were going to use the tour on the Bateaux Mouches which is said to provide a great deal of information. What are thoughts on making reservations for that? We do not want to do dinner, just the boat tour. I was thinking that we could just show up and get on, but would it be more beneficial to get tickets in advance?

My other question has to do with train tickets to Vernon to go to Monet's Gardens. Do we need tickets in advance if we want to go a specific day? If so, should we look into buying them now and printing them from home, or should we just buy them there?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! We are first timers and a little nervous... :/
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:31 PM

I bought my ticket at the station without a problem. That way I knew I was going on a day with nice weather.

Whatever you do, go early. It gets very crowded but isn't bad when it first opens.
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:57 PM

I've not been to Giverney so cannot help you out there.

But...the Bateaux Mouches are just a last minute type of deal. We've ridden the Bateaux Parisiens (same thing) twice and both times just walked up to the ticket booth and then walked on to the boats. This is for the day tour...I cannot speak for the dinner tour. You know where the boats are? Just walk across the street from the Eiffel Tower, turn right, go down the stairs...you'll find the Bateaux Parisiens.

Is this your first trip? It looks like the weather is fabulous right now and you should have a great time. We're headed over in June for two weeks and I can't wait. I was online tonight looking for airport/city transportation and wandered over here to see what is new in my favorite city in the world. I am just craving Paris! Just wait...you'll see.
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:45 PM

Hi

I can't really answer your questions but maybe you can find some useful information in my Paris trip report http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . It contains pictures, links and a Paris map that should be useful for you

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:29 AM

There's no need to reserve the Bateaux Mouches as the boats leave every 20 minutes and are very large. You won't have a problem getting on a boat.
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:55 AM

I don't see any need to book in advance to go to Giverny - certainly not for the trains, which are (I'm open to correction) local/regional commuter trains rather than long distance (I'm not sure you even can book in advance).

You just turn up at the Gare St Lazare (but go early - there's a train around 0815) and ask for a ticket to Vernon. Despite my (obviously) impeccable French, the ticket clerk gave me an English language leaflet about Giverny the moment I mentioned Vernon.

Don't forget to "composter" the ticket in the yellow stamp machine as you enter the platform.

When you get to Vernon, there's a bus for Giverny waiting outside (have some small Euro coins for the fare). You can hardly get lost.

The walk is nice too, though it's probably a bit easier to navigate coming back than going - more details on other threads on the topic.
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:10 AM

you could also try the Vedettes du Pont Neuf which are smaller than the Bateaux-Mouches and have live narration. snacks and drinks available at the dock which is at the tip of the Ile de Cite. their website has a 2e discount voucher.

either way, i don't think you need to worry about advance tix for the bateaux.

have fun!
Old May 9th, 2008, 03:21 AM

No need for advance tickets to either the Seine cruise or train to Vernon.

I too would recommend the Vedettes du Pont Neuf over the Bateaux Mouches.
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:33 AM

I'll add another vote for Vedettes de Pont Neuf but the OP wanted Bateaux Mouches. I've done the BM ride and couldn't understand a word of the commentary.

I've been on the Vedettes twice and much prefer them. You have the option of sitting inside on the lower deck or outside on the upper deck and there's a very nice brochure at the ticket office that shows you the circuit with a description of the major buildings.

The live commentary gives you an opportunity to ask the person questions in case you didn't understand something. I always give a couple of euros (1 euro per person) to the commentator.

Old May 9th, 2008, 04:42 AM

I also find the Vedettes location more convenient, within a few blocks are many restaurants, so you can eat dinner and still get the late sailing time. The park where the boat loads is a nice one, though if you take a night cruise it won't matter.
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:04 AM

Yet another for the Vedettes. You can print a discount coupon off the internet site.
Take a bottle of wine and some glasses to enjoy with the ride. You can buy it at the dock but it is a LOT more expensive and not particularly good.
Old May 9th, 2008, 05:18 AM

Another vote for Vedettes. You can pick up your tickets any time during the day, and just show up 20 minutes before you want to go on the boat. The tours run every 1/2 hour, so there are plenty of choices.

I recommend the 9 pm boat, because you can catch the lighting up of the Eiffel Tower at the beginning of the tour, and if you're lucky, the top-of-the-hour sparkle at the end of the tour. Also, at this hour you can see all the buildings lit up for night.

We found a 2E discount coupon on the map that we picked up at the tourist kiosk in Montmartre. Full tarriff price is 11E per person.