train passes

Old Jun 11th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
train passes

I'm looking for a multi-train pass that I can use over a period of time getting me to Scotland (from Gatwick airport) to London from Cardiff, a day trip to Paris, France and then back to Gatwick airport from London. I know I can get a pass in England, or Scotland but is there one that includes the eruostar to Paris?
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 08:44 PM

Someone may correct me, but I don't believe there is a pass that includes the London/Paris Eurostar.

Is this for adult tickets only? I'm not sure a pass necessarily makes sense for you anyway, assuming you don't need the flexibility that it would provide.

If you're going directly from Gatwick to Scotland, it might make more sense to book a flight and not leave LGW. If not, if you book early, you can get train tickets for fairly inexpensive prices. For example, if I book a trip from London-Edinburgh for next week, the cheapest fare I see is £80, but I could get the same ticket in September for £36.50. (You can book about three months ahead.) The same doesn't seem to be true for Cardiff, though.

Tickets to and from LGW are inexpensive. Basically, unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure a pass makes sense financially. 36 pounds for London/Scotland (guessing) + around 35 pounds for Cardiff/London + 20 pounds for tickets to/from Gatwick = less than a hundred pounds, which is cheaper than the cheapest adult BritRail pass I can find.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 08:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree w/ jent103. Some people get stars in their eyes just at the word "pass" -- thinking they save so much money.

But generally, IF you have enough lead time to book just normal advance purchase tickets, Rail passes cost a lot more. Also, for some journeys (like London/Edinburgh) flying can be less expensive. Now, there may be other reasons someone might want to take a train. But trains are not automatically the cheapest option.

Rail passes do give you flexibility to jump on most any train, but they usually don't save ££/$$.

and the Eurostar is not covered by Britrail or Eurail passes.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 02:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Try this website to get an idea of ticket prices:

http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/?

i used it when i wanted to go from home [Redruth] to Plymouth a week or so ago, a journey of about 90 minutes, and even booking only the day before I managed to pick up a first class fare for £6.50. and you get a free hot drink, snack and newspaper. to collect your ticket all you need to do is to turn up at the station.

and since you are already there, flying from LGW to Scotland is a "no brainer!"
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 02:28 AM

Based on what you have written you need two train tickets - I would fly Gatwick to Scotland (presumably Edinburgh), Edinburgh to Cardiff (or Bristol) & Cardiff (or Bristol) to Paris, then take the Eurostar to London and train to Gatwick.

The flights and Eurostar MUST be booked as far as in advance as possible and you can book the train to Gatwick in advance also - but the savings are small.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 02:32 AM

I would try http://www.seat61.com/UK-train-travel.htm for advice.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 02:55 AM

Seat61.com eurostar never included

Pass almost always bad value figuring cost per day
regardless of if u train or not plus surcharges.

Always best for me to book point to point in advance at best rates.

Oe easier just hop on train like a local on regional trains
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 03:30 AM

easyjet fly LGW to Edinburgh, and Air southwest from Edinburgh to Bristol.

I'm not sure about Cardiff.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

I have looked into flights but by the time we land, we will have already missed the cheapest flight and the next cheapest flight is fairly late in the day. I don't really want to spend an entire day at the airport with my husband and 4 young daughters (12-5). This is why I thought I would look into the train. Our travel agent says it is cheaper to buy a 3 or 4 day pass and use it when we want within 15 days (something like that). We are renting a car once we are in Scotland. Just looking for a quick and easy way to get to Scotland from Gatwick, a day trip to Paris from London and possibly from Wales to London.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 07:58 AM

No there is no pass that includes Britain and the Eurostar train though there are passholder fares that require possession of a pass to get discounted rates. and the BritRail Pass can indeed by a good deal for you (just ignore the fluff that folks like qwovadis blather about above about passes never being a good deal - pure misinformation IMO and IME of decades of using railpasses in Britain. A pass's efficacy for one thing is not based strictly on what is the cheapest way to travel - yes the discounted online tickets can be cheaper but they often cannot be changed nor refunded and must be booked to guarantee far in advance. So if you want flexibility to just board any train anytime then the BritRail Pass for your plans may well be cheaper than full fare fully flexible tickets. Check fully flexible ticket fares at www.nationalrail.co.uk to see how fully flexible travel to hop any train anytime how expensive they can be - I enjoy just getting up and heading to the station and hopping any of the zillions of trains but this is a personal desire - but to see passes are never the best deal just ignores this flexibility that many folks enjoy. For loads of great info on British trains and passes check out these fab IMO sites - www.budgeteruropetravel.com; www.seat61.com (check this site's link to RailEurope to see what BritRail Passes currently cost and to book if want) and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 08:56 AM

Pal is right about the flexibility of course - but it's not clear whether you need that or not.

the trainline website will give you an idea of what costs might be if you are able to specify when you want to travel as against the fully flexible fares.

i know this may sound daft, but do you really want to discount spending a night at gatwick and then catching a plane to Scotland? you could book into one of the airport hotels, have a shower/swim/nap, then catch a train from Gatwick to Brighton, say, and spend a day at the seaside. See the pavilion, do the fun fair, have a meal, then catch a train back to Gatwick and cat your flight to Scotland in the morning.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 09:24 AM

The fully flexibile train tickets than Pal mentioned are the most expensive tickets you can buy. There are other options/prices. This is where you need to do a little research yourself and actually plug in routes and dates to see what will work best for your family. On the national rail site you will also find information about family passes which differ from the Brit Rail Pass. Again the best sites are www.nationalrail.com; www.trainline.co.uk and www.seat61.com
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 09:55 AM

"you could book into one of the airport hotels, have a shower/swim/nap,"

...or leave your luggage at Gatwick left luggage, then get a train to Winchester, Chichester,Portsmouth or Brighton then get your later plane. Or, if London is not in your travelling plans, have again in London.Gatwick's got just about the best network of direct trains of any airport in the world.

Even if the direct train to King's Cross is running, it's going to take you at least seven hours from Gatwick to Edinburgh or Glasgow by train. You willprobably end up arriving about the same time by plane or train.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM

<i>Even if the direct train to King's Cross is running, it's going to take you at least seven hours from Gatwick to Edinburgh or Glasgow by train. You will probably end up arriving about the same time by plane or train.</i>

Exactly what I was going to say. It takes about an hour to get from Gatwick to St. Pancras. Depending on whether you're going to Edinburgh or Glasgow, you'll either have to walk to King's Cross or get to Euston station from there. You probably won't have time to do anything touristy, so you'll be hanging out in train stations with your luggage and daughters before a 4.5-hour train trip.

Basically, if you want to get all the way to Scotland in that one day, the day is shot anyway. Rather than navigating multiple train trips with kids and luggage in an unfamiliar city while jet lagged, I'd either catch a later flight to Edinburgh or Glasgow (maybe taking a side trip for a few hours if you end up having time, as has been suggested), or put at least one night in London at the beginning of your trip.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 03:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Agree w/ the above (multiple aboves )

I'd rather a sharp stick in the eye before navigating Gatwick to London to Edinburgh w/ jet lag/luggage/4 children.

There is no train from Gatwick to Edinburgh -- The journey will be messy at best and REALLY messy at worst. But there are flights. (Few US travel agents know much about surface travel in the UK.)

The way I see it - your easiest option is to fly to Scotland. Second easiest - spend a night in London and take the train the next morning; 3)
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

What air company would you suggest - I have looked into easyjet and British Air. Are there others that I don't know about?
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 06:46 PM

According to whichbudget.com, FlyBe also goes to Edinburgh and Glasgow.

http://www.whichbudget.com/routes/LG...edinburgh.html

With the budget airlines (like EasyJet), make sure you're aware of baggage restrictions and fees.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 04:28 AM

<According to whichbudget.com, FlyBe also goes to Edinburgh and Glasgow.>

You obviously didn't notice the bit that said "via Belfast City"! No-one would normally think of that as a sensible route.

Flybe have no direct flights between Gatwick and Glasgow or Edinburgh.

It's either BA or Easyjet
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 05:53 AM

Oops! Guess I didn't. Thanks for the correction, BigMan. Yes, dobsonde, that wouldn't save you any time at all!
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 09:12 AM

easyjet are showing 4 flights a day on this route on weekdays, two at weekends.

the cheapest seem to be the early morning flights at 08.35.

that would fit in well with the idea of overnighting in a LGW hotel and taking a day trip somewhere.

mmm - do you want to start your trip with a day at the seaside followed by and easy flight OR traipsing 4 kids and their luggage across london and keeping them entertained on a 7 hour train journey? after an transatlantic flight when they've been cooped up for over 8 hours.

i know which I'd choose!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -