How Is "Fodor's" Pronounced?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been asked recently and have often wondered myself, how is it actually pronounced? Is it: Pho-doors? Fa-doors? Fodders? Inquiring minds want to know....
Please and thank you!
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 02:31 AM

I would like to know too! I always want to put an r in it ... Fordors!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 02:40 AM

It's just like the word "odors", but starting with an "F".
(at least that's how I've always pronounced it!)
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 02:45 AM

The original poster has this same thread on the "US" board with the same answers.

Accept it, Phoebe, and move on!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 03:08 AM
rex

http://www.fodors.com/about/us/ftp_about.cfm

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 03:11 AM

I have often wondered this myself! I have heard it pronounced 2 different ways on travel shows, so I have been a bit confused!! Personally I pronounce it FUH-DOORS. I will keep watching to see what the "official" out come is. Thanks for the post!!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 03:37 AM

I have read the website's own explanation and I am a bit sceptical that this is the correct Hungarian pronunciation.

Assuming, that is, that I am correct and originally the name is Hungarian....

Hungarian vowels are unsayable by us English speakers. I know as I have tried to learn them from Magyar-speakers in Budapest.

They (the vowels, not the people) all sound like Euuuh.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Thanks, Rex. It is good to see that we can all learn something by following your advice to read the Fodor's guidance before we start posting!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Good Morning everyone- thank you Jlillberto,Marcy,Rex,Mabern2 and Tedgale for your kind responses and for making me feel a bit less silly for not checking the "about Fodor's " section of this site prior to posting my question. I'll try to do this going forward

Intrepid1- I'm not a troll, simply thought it would be ok to post, yes the same question on two separate boards, to garner a "Global" perspective as well on the pronounciation. That is all I wanted....please be kind
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:41 AM
rex

A big SDER (self-directed eye roll) to tedgale for suggesting that Fodor's (the company? and presumably the man, too?) doesn't know the correct way to pronounce his/their own name.

I guess that <i>Paris</i> Hilton ought to be told the same thing, huh?

If Fodor's tells us how <i>they</i> pronounce it, isn't that <i>end of story</i>?
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:51 AM

Phoebe,
Thank you for inquiring. I have always wondered myself. Now, I know too.

Intrepid,

Who cares how many places Phoebe posts a question. Isn't that what this site is about? Getting views from a wide variety.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 05:09 AM

Rex, you raise an interesting question. Lots of people mispronounce their own names, and I suppose the rest of us have to go along with it, but we don't have to like it. An example in the news a lot lately is the Schiavo family: apparently they want us to say &quot;Shy-vo,&quot; but of course it should be &quot;Skya-vo.&quot;
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Cassandra

Rex, why not just cut-and-paste what Fodor's says -- no one has actually said, outright, to Phoeve and everyone else on this thread exactly how Fodor's wants it pronounced:

They say: &quot;it rhymes with &quot;motor.&quot;

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 05:38 AM

I'm one of the people who &quot;mispronounce&quot; their own name, well, in Hungary, people would think I'm misprouncing it. My maiden name was &quot;Volgyi&quot; with the two dots over the &quot;o.&quot; As a previous poster said, that &quot;o&quot; is just unpronounceable to me so until I got married I said &quot;vole gee&quot; when my father, the native Hungarian would say something like &quot;verl gee.&quot; The surname &quot;Fodor&quot; usually has the two dots over the first &quot;o&quot; in Hungary. So although I say &quot;Foe door&quot; my father says &quot;Fer dor&quot; or something like that.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 05:42 AM

On the other board I stepped over the line and also said that Fodors is WRONG in how to pronounce their own name, but then realized they weren't saying it is PRONOUNCED like motors, only that it RHYMES with motors -- big difference. Rhyming doesn't mean that Fodors is pronounced with a t in the middle, only that the last sound rhymes. I think their own use of the word motors is misleading as it would lead one to believe that Fodors is pronounced as if it were spelled &quot;Fotors&quot;. I personally like the idea of &quot;odors&quot; with an F as the perfect answer to the question.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 06:05 AM

Actually, rhyming means that the last stressed syllable (except for its initial consonant) and any subsequent syllables are pronounced alike. So saying &quot;Fodor's&quot; rhymes with &quot;motors&quot; should mean that the &quot;d&quot; in &quot;Fodor's&quot; is pronounced the same as the &quot;t&quot; in &quot;motors.&quot; And in fact this is true of the way many Americans pronounce &quot;motors.&quot; But it's not true of the pronunication of most English speakers other than Americans, and so I agree that &quot;odors&quot; would be a better example.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:26 AM
rex

I think that &quot;motors&quot; is an odd choice also - - but I was simply directing others to what they offer as pronunciation help.

I can understand that they might think that &quot;odors&quot; is an unpleasant example of a rhyming word...

...I would personally choose &quot;loaders&quot;...
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Grinisa: Thank you for your information. As always on Fodor's, the &quot;end of story&quot; is seldom the last word.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:23 AM
rex

Oddly, the URL cited above no longer gives the recommended pronunciation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -