How is Europe at Christmas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We returned about two weeks ago after having a fabulous time in Paris and Amsterdam,etc. Thanks for all of the advice fellow fodorites!(By the way, the wine made it back just fine!) Well, now we are thinking of going back over Christmas. I've heard great things especially of German Christmas markets,etc. Is this a good time to go? What about Paris during the holiday season? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Jennifer
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:29 PM

Hi Jennifer,

Glad you had a great time. I would love to go to Amsterdam.

I have not been to Europe at Christmas, my actual first time to Europe after dreaming for 20 years was just last August...leaving me wanting more - so we are going back from 12-13 - 1-2. We will be in Paris for the most part -- and London for a a night and two days.

What I have found in my research through this board as well as other sites/books is:
London is CLOSED from about 12-24 mid day till December 27 - no train service on 12-25 and limited from what I understand on 12-24 and 12-26.

I was able to find some very cool "Christmas Breaks" through out England for the 24-27. Very very pricey. (it averaged around 8,000.00 for the 6 of us with the exchange rate from USD). But they looked lovely!!

Amsterdam seemed to be more "open" then some other areas - again, this is all research and not really being there. I am refering to the 24/25/26.

Munich looked fabulous - it does seem to "close" up on the actual Christmas day...but boy it sounded great. Cold but nice. There is a good trip report that I believe flyinmom (I could be wrong) did at Christmas in Munich. The Christmas markets from what I seem to recall start in late November and most end on 12-24.

For New Years Eve - Paris seems to get raves

We rented an apartment over Christmas/New Years in Paris..and they are filling up - a few I wanted where already taken due to the holiday...

Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Dawn-
Thanks for the quick reply. We've never rented an apt. before in Paris, or anywhere for that matter. I don't think I know Paris well enough for the location of the apt. etc. We had an exchange student from Dusseldorf a few years ago, and she is the one who spoke of the Christmas markets. We actually took two days this trip and spent it with her family. It was great! Keep all the great replies coming guys! Thanks again! Jennifer
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 05:55 PM

I can only speak to Copenhagen and Stockholm. Was there three years ago during the Christmas season. I actually got to Copenhagen on the 27th of Dec, and left Stockholm on Jan. 10. The "season" goes until Jan. 13 so it was very festive, very fun, the stores were all having sales, lights every where, and that year a TON of snow and very very cold. There was a Christmas Market at Tivoli Gardens with lots of fun stuff. It was a wonderful trip all the way around.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 06:13 PM

Jennifer - I mis-read your post and thought you asked about an apartment. Not sure why! LOL

If you search Europe Christmas, Europe Winter,Paris New Years, Munich Christmas you will come up with a number of good threads.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 08:22 PM

France, Austria, and Germany all have fine Christmas markets, and December is a great time for a visit. Vienna is Christmas-card-perfect, with a very large market and decorations all over the city.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 04:45 AM

Christmas Time is a great time to visit Europe. In 2006, we were in Prague and Munich- beautiful... wherever you are, just make sure you get reservations on Christmas Eve and most places will be closed on Christmas Day (in some countries the day after Christmas is a holiday as well); However, as long as you are prepared to use Christmas Day as a "slow" day to wander around or relax, you should be fine. I haven't been to Paris at Christmas, but contemplated it for last year. Everyone on the site recommended Paris- said it is magical at Christmas time.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:04 AM

The Question asks about Europe..The countries with Catholic populations celebrate Christmas with their families. To participate in these celebrations you need local connections. Christmas (sectarian)is for religous activities. New Years Eve is for partying (secularism). Search out German families in your area that may still have family or connections there. I bet you can find a German family that will host you for a few days.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:16 AM

We enjoyed Bruges and Amsterdam/Haarlem this past Christmas. Wear silk "long johns" and bundle up!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 07:55 AM

Even if you are not a churchgoer (and I'm not) a church or cathedral family service can be very enjoyable. One Christmas Eve I went with relatives to the service at Westminster Cathedral, and this was packed with people from all over the world. Another Christmas I went to my relatives' village church.

In England the main celebration is on Christmas Day, but in Germany and other European countries it's on Christmas Eve. Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve in an English church can be a bit of a drunken sing song, whereas services on Christmas morning are more sedate.

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 09:06 AM

I am not sure about your timing. The Christmas Markets in Germany approximately coincide with advent, the end of November to Christmas Eve. If it is for Christmas Markets that you are going, a bit before Christmas is better and you do not have to worry about things being closed.

We once had a Christmas Eve dinner as part of a package in Salzburg that turned out to be boiled carp. It was not to our tastes and there were no other options.

I have visited the markets in Würzburg, Nürnberg and Salzburg. All were nice. I understand that Nürnberg's has become very crowded.

We are thinking of Christmas Markets this year ourselves. A little market goes a long way so we will visit places that we like or want to see in any case. Würzburg, Bamberg and Regensburg are on our list.

Regards, Gary
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 09:11 AM

We spent Dec 26 - 29 in Bruges this year and it was magical!! Loved it!
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 09:33 AM

This website describes many of the German Christmas markets, including some that are open after Dec. 24--mostly in larger cities.

http://www.germany-christmas-market.org.uk/
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Christmas markets in Germany start on 1st Advent which will be Nov 30th this year and will last until Christmas Eve. Only very few last longer.

Some special Christmas markets, e.g. in castles or other special locations open only on weekends, or even on one or two weekends in Advent.

There is little to "do" from Dec 24-26 since all stores are closed, many sights are closed (bit less on Dec 26), and you barely see any Christmas decoration in stores when they will open up again on Dec 27.

Christmas itself is more a quiet, family holiday. You will find some concerts in churches during the Christmas days, but you will also have them during Advent.

So the best time is until Dec 24.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
In France also, the Christmas markets are generally finished by the day after Christmas. (I haven't looked at the calendar, but if Christmas fell on a Friday, the Christmas markets would probably last through Sunday, though.)
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the wonderful replies everyone! I'm thinking we will go Dec. 19th thru Jan. 3rd. Our friends (exchange student and her family) are in Dusseldorf, so we would probably spend the actual holiday with her family. Possibly then off to Paris for New Years Eve. time frame. Jennifer
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 02:23 PM

http://www.duesseldorf-weihnachtsmarkt.de/

If you go, let the rest of know how it was.

Regards, Gary
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:37 PM

My wife and I did 5 German Christmas markets in a row, took a few years break, then did 2 more. We have probably been to most of them in Germany and Austria.

This is a great time to visit. The Europeans have the cities back as most of the summer crowds are gone. The ambiance is fantastic. The weather can be cold but sunny or very cold and dark! Either way...a great time.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link Gary! After all of these posts it sounds like a fabulous time to visit! Jennifer
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM

are there any christmas markets in or around london? i wonder how hard would it be to take a day trip out to the country on Christmas day.... i guess by train, and then just walk about in the vicinty of the train station. Can anyone recommend a day trip out of london?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -