Search

how early to book?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how early to book?

hi everybody,

i'm in the early stages of planning my first trip to paris around late march of 09, and i was just wondering how early should a person book a flight and hotel for that time period? i was thinking of taking care of it around nov. or dec. but don't know if that is too early or maybe even too late if many other people book way in advance. thank you in advance for any responses.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 10:04 AM

Hi chrismw,
Hub and I booked around Nov. for our trips to Italy or Paris for many years and found we did get better prices for flights. On a couple of occasions, parents' illness required last-minute cancelling, but trip insurance took care of that. Not sure when the "high" hotel period starts-so your rates will be less flexible there. Popular areas fill up faster obviously but there are many many rooms in the cities.
Read, check here and on "Trip Advisor" then make up your own mind. Where are you planning to go?
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:18 AM

I always book my hotels in Paris as soon as I book my flights. I don't have the flexibilty of changing flight times last minute, so usaully book them about 6 months in advance. I have rarely noticed prices ever getting cheaper ,,unless you can book and fly last minute flights( which I can't anyways) .
I do find hotels in Paris start out with best prices and as they fill prices go up. I noticed both hotels I used this past July had price hikes after I booked. I booked in Jan-Feb for July.
I also find that many of the cute, clean, centrally located hotels are small, so fill up early. If there is only 20 rooms in a hotel ,, and its on any of these travel forum sites being recommended .. and seen by hundreds if not thousands of posters, then they are going to fill up fast. That said, you are going in March , and I find May-Oct are busier months .

I would be booking soon myself.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

hi TDudetee,

i'm planning on spending a little over a week in paris. not really familiar with the layout of the city, or the different neighborhoods/districts, so at this point, i don't have a set itinerary yet, aside from the major tourist spots, that is.
i just wanted to get a general picture right now of when to take care of the flight and hotel reservations, so i can get a good deal. thanks for your input!
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 04:21 PM

I would book as soon as possible. I can't remember when the trade and fashion shows start, but it seems to me that March/April are often very busy in Paris.