Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do you post? Refer to reference works or not?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 08:19 AM
kk

This morning I replied to a posting and referenced two books in doing so. I was able to give exact detail that way. Then it occurred to me that many of the posts I have marveled at that give lots and lots of data might have been made when people also referred to books. <BR>I don't usually do that because most of the time I post from work and I don't (so far at least) have my travel guidebooks at work with me. Consequently, I am always most amazed when others can recite such details. <BR>So, my question is, do you usually reply to postings after having checked your facts, or can you do this without referring to source materials? Just wondering....kk <BR>

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 08:46 AM
xxx

Sure hope everybody doesn't do it your way. We're looking for actual experiences from people who have been there, not something we could just read out of a travel book!

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 09:01 AM
wes fowler

Interesting question, kk, that should prompt some equally interesting responses. As for myself, I post and respond only to those queries I feel knowledgable about based on my own experience. I have numerous files based on my detailed travel journals as well as an extensive but eclectic collection of travel related books, maps, newspaper clippings and material from national, regional and local tourist offices. The latter are updated annually. I've also got a vast collection of Emails from travelers with whom I have followed up following their journeys for their impressions and critiques of my suggestions. <BR> <BR>When drafting a response, first based on personal experience, I'll double check maps, my files, confirm that referenced websites are accurate and still active and that information contained there doesn't contradict anything I've suggested. <BR> <BR>Doing so keeps me on my toes in attempting to ensure the validity of whatever I suggest. To mislead a prospective traveler in his expectations is a cardinal sin in my estimation.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 09:03 AM
Patrick

I used to keep all my travel journals, hotel itineraries with fax and phone numbers, and pricing books (yes, I keep a daily record of what everything costs) in a bookshelf. Since spending so much time on Fodor's, I now keep them piled right on my desk for quick reference.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 09:10 AM
kk

Well, xxx, you don't have to be "so snippy." I only meant... do you refer to travel books to recall exact data of PLACES YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN...and when I posted this morning I did exactly that, so I wouldn't misinform. <BR>I never recommend any place I've never been or express an opinion about it. That's the whole point of this forum, silly.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 09:19 AM
Joyce

kk, I hope people use their guide books only for the details in their postings. I mean to say, it's one thing to use them to help convey a correct address or phone number & the like, but quite another matter if they're simply going to copy text on the subject at hand. Likewise, I have seen many wonderfully detailed responses on Fodor's forums, and most of them seem to be written from personal experience. I think it's extremely kind of those posters responding to a question,(like Elivra for example) who take the time to be so thorough.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 09:31 AM
Desiree'

kk, Like yourself I've marveled at the info posted here. I can't beleive anyone could memorize all the details. I think its great when people like yourself take the extra time to do a little research for their responses

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 10:14 AM
kk

Thanks for the kind words, Wes and Desiree. I was beginning to get a bit irked, but I guess I wasn't clear enough. <BR>Often I can recall a perfect hotel from, let's say, Rome, and I can recall it in exquisite, infinite, loving detail. BUT my own personal memory banks don't come up with the NAME of the place and the STREET NAME. In that case, I would go back to my photo album or personal reference point OR guide book to get the details just right. The description of my place would be my own. <BR>But unlike Wes and Patrick, I don't keep those things around me because I mostly post at work and my work space is a mess enough as it is. If I reply to a post from work, I will often say something like this...yes, Dresden was great. The art and architecture and setting on the Elbe River are fantastic. I highly recommend it and it's an easy drive from Berlin. <BR>I didn't get THAT from a guide book, I lived it. If you want to know the name of the palace hotel where I stayed along the Elbe with a great view, then I have to go back to my notes. <BR>So, that is what _I_ do, and I was just inquiring what others do. When I see Paulo, for example, post with great quantities of detail, for some reason I'd always thought of him typing that stuff off the top of his head. This morning it occurred to me that he might be taking some of it from guide books, for PLACES HE'S ALREADY BEEN. Hence, my question. <BR>I think I'll go have a margarita.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 10:26 AM
Sue

Like the others, I use guidebooks, maps, websites, etc., to come up with details on places I have been. But occasionally, I post on places/info that I have no personal experience with. I always acknowledge that fact and cite my source (Frommers, this forum, etc.) I can't remember details about where I've been (old-timers disease), but I do remember odd little things I have read.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 10:27 AM
wes fowler

I suppose I should add a clarification as well,kk. I'm retired (for the most part)and have an office at home. Resources I use are within arm's reach and readily available - if I can remember where I filed them! One cautionary word, again based on personal experience. A month ago, my hard drive crashed and had to be replaced. While I had backed up all of my computer files on disk, thank heaven, I lost all of my Email addresses and pending correspondence and am now in a quandary not knowing who I may have promised suggestions or recommendations that won't be forthcoming. So, I recommend that you back up all of your files including your address book. Doing so will save you untold grief.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 10:48 AM
Lori

kk, <BR>The things I've posted about (hotels, shows, sights, etc.) are from first hand knowledge and I have been blessed with a really good memory so most of the time I'm able to come up with the exact info without refering to a book - altho on occasion I too can't remember the exact tube/Metro stop or complete address of a place we've been. I'm probably the only person I know that carries a small London Underground map and Paris Metro map around in their purse to work (here in the US)! Since I post a lot from work I don't have access to all my guide books, so my memory usually serves me well. I have been known to look at a photo we took to see the name of something in the background if I want to tell someone "XYZ" is across the street from "ZYX" for instance. I believe a few posters "copy" info out of guide books and post it ... that always irks me because I too like first hand knowledge of a hotel or place. I really love reading about people's first hand experiences - even about places I have no intention of going to any time soon! I think if you have been to a place and consult a book to get the exact address, etc. that's not a problem, that's just being helpful!

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 01:54 PM
Rex

I think I am one of the more "reference citing" posters here. In general, my computer is my library, second only to the internet itself. Even though my 60-70 books and 200+ file folders of stuff are within arm's reach, I rarely refer to them when I post. Travel info is inherently perishable, and I try to seek a CURRENT publicly accessible reference to most of the factual information (as opposed to opinions or impressions) I cite. <BR> <BR>But thanks to the ease (and essentially zero cost) of storing stuff here (primarily in the form of e-mails I have sent or received), I feel like I am sitting on a pretty good compendium of the places I've been during 19 trips and a little over 250 days in Europe. And I have a pretty good memory of what I have and have not read here. I do resort, from time to time, to having two windows open to this forum - - one to search in, and one to post in. <BR> <BR>I have kept a copy of every post I've made here (approaching 1000), and nearly 2000 other e-mails (many of these when I was on www.allexperts.com) that I have sent or received in the past few years. Thank goodness for functions like "Search Messages" in Netscape Messenger! <BR> <BR>I think that portable ("wearable") information technology and newer forms of inter-connected "knowledge bases" will soon give new meaning to the expression "that guy is a walking encyclopedia". <BR>

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 05:46 PM
Paulo

I'm certainly not a "walking enciclopedia", kk ... and with age my memory is playing tricks on a "crescendo". No doubt I do need crutches to sustain it. <BR> <BR>Like Rex, I rely on my computers (both, at home and work have the same set of bookmarks, sent/received mails, notes, etc) and maps. I get to my travel guides collection only occasionally for a detail or two I may not have found online or computer (except for the Blue Guide series ... which I read whenever I have time - guides concerning places I've not been to, but also to places I've visited in the past). <BR> <BR>Unlike Rex, I almost don't reference the sources where I got the current information. Because I've no problems reading Italian, Spanish, German and French, my bookmarks point to the original stuff (the content in Italian of a site in Italy is certainly not worse than its translation - if there is one). Most people that are looking for help, are only occasional participants in the Forum. Upon returning from their trips, relatively few come back. Though I do it as a professional, I'm really too lazy to teach these occasional participants how they may get the info they're looking for online. It's much faster for me to hand the answer they're looking for on a platter ... I suspect that most want exactly and only that, they don't want to be taught. <BR> <BR>Finally, I don't agree that one must have had personal experiences to answer all questions. The answer for many questions is only a matter of information and judgement. For instance: <BR> <BR>"I'm heading to Bellagio and have the choice of flying in to Malpensa or Bergamo. What do you recommend?" <BR> <BR>I can't see how personal experience (what would that be, anyway?) can change the answer. <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 02:33 PM
SharonM

Personally, my posts are (depending on the nature of the post) my thoughts, intuition and/or personal experience. <BR> <BR>Due to the nature of my career I pass on many threads... This forum is a joy to me, not a torture. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Rex

I sincerely hope that you do not infer "torture" from my description of my information collecting and pack-rat behavior. <BR> <BR>I love answering questions here - - (on what bandwidth means - - wink!) - - or almost any subject - - you name it! <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 08:08 PM
xxx

Obviously, it depends on the question.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 08:14 PM
zzz

Hmmm. Now this just keeps getting profounder and profounder. <BR>

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 06:04 AM
frank

I simply rely on the enormous power of my incredibly retentive brain, which is why my posts are so inaccurate. <BR> <BR>In my experience most bad info is quickly corrected by the Lurkers. <BR> Anyone who wants me to look things up will have to pay me.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Anne

kk, <BR>Answering a post allows me to remember, in more specific detail, the location, qualities, sites and sounds of the area. I have to look up addresses or websites from my guide books or resturant cards that I collected. Sometimes I bring out the map to get oriented and give the road route taken, or the particular town exit off the main auto route. Whenever I visit a place, I imagine what it is I would like to do or see when I come back. I've emassed a collection of brouchures from the tourist offices and hotels in France and Italy. Nothing gives me greater enjoyment than to pull those out and give some info. <BR> <BR> Your question brings to mind that answering a post takes time, organization and commitment to give the poster not only the details but the feeling of a place. Some people may only want the details, but the pleasure of responding comes from offering the personal memory or playing out various scenarios of what you would do the next time you visit a region.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Sheila

As with many others, what you get is a mixture. Almost everything I RECOMMEND is from personal knowledge or experience. But since I became addicted my 4 Scottish guidebooks and a good map book have flitted from the bookshelves to next to the computer. I have also accumulated a plethora of leaflets and newspaper clippings to which I refer as and when I require. <BR> <BR>As far as overseas is concerned, since I "found" Fodors, I've started keeping proper notes and keeping full trip reports on the computer to which I refer if people as about the places I've been. I do, however use the trip guide books for phone numbers and addresses much as kk does. <BR> <BR>I also do primary research if I can easily do so eg, phoning the pro shop at Turnberry this afternoon and posting the answer. <BR> <BR>Is that acceptable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -