Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do you get from Brussels Midi to Brussels Midi EST station?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2003, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking the train from Brugges to Brussels, then transferring to the Eurostar to London. How do you get from one station to the other? Are they adjoining? Do you walk or take a taxi? The train info website says to allow 24 minutes. Can anyone who has done this explain? Thank you!
Old May 1st, 2003, 02:21 PM
Bootman4U

I belive there is only ONE Brussels Midi station (Brussels Midi/Zuid actually) The trains from Brugge arrives in Midi and I think you depart from the same station..perhaps in another section. I am sure others can be more specific so i am topping this for you.

Old May 1st, 2003, 07:36 PM

They are separate stations. I do believe when I was coming back from Brugge last week that the train stopped at the station that you would take the Eurostar to London before continuing on to the other Brussels station. They may have meant that you would have to walk to a different platform but I don't think either station had more than 10 platforms each.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:02 AM

The Eurostar trains have their own platforms within Brussels Midi station, but it's the same station. The station concourse is beneath the platforms with escalators and lifts to the platforms.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:06 AM

Coming in from Brugge, you will probably come in one tracks 12 to 16; go down the escalators to the main station and walk toward the round information booth (which, in typical Brussels fashion, has a sign reading "NO TRAIN INFORMATION" go past that to the Eurostar area. The Eurostar and Thalys trains are in a newer wing of the Midi station, it's not really a separate station. Very easy to go from a "regular" train to the Thalys or Eurostar tracks.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:08 AM

Oops, I forgot to add that the website is referring to the checkin time for the Eurostar train, not the walking time between where the regular trains come in and where you pick up the Eurostar. Trains leave Brugge twice an hour and I would pick one that gets you to Brussels Midi at LEAST 40 minutes before your Eurostar departure to avoid missing the checkin cutoff.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all of you. This really helps.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 12:24 AM

The EST stands for EuroStar terminal and not east (as I had thought).
So the EuroStar terminal is within the Brussels Midi station.