Search

Brussels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brussels

My husband and I will have a rental car driving from Spa to Brussels on a Monday morning, need to drop car at airport (where we picked it up) unless someone has a better idea of different drop off location, then spend one day/night in Brussels and then taking thalys train to Paris. Not knowing where airport and train station is any ideas on travel time and where to stay in Brussels? I don't have this day planned out very well, just looking for the location of airport and train station.

thank you for any help you are able to privide.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:26 PM
yk

It's about a 15-min train ride from Brussels Airport to
city center (you want Brussels Central station). PLENTY of hotels within walking distance from Brussels Central, which is also where Grand Place is.

Thalys to Paris departs from Brussels-Midi. You can catch a train (many per hour) from Brussels-Central to Brussels-Midi. The trip is 3-4 minutes.

There must be rental car drop-off locations IN Brussels. Have you checked the company for in-town locations?
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

No, I haven't. I am just starting to plan the trip. Thank you so muhc for this info. It is very helpful and good starting point for me.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Change in plans...i have a great rental car rate and need to drop the car at the airport and get to the Thalys train for paris. What train from airport to Thalys and how far.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Assuming that your new plan means that you have to skip the night in Brussels, and need to go straight from Brussels airport to Paris:

Go to thalys.com
Choose as departure station "Any Belgian station route"
When asked to fill in the departure station, type Bruxelles which will prompt a choice of 4 stations of which you choose "Bruxelles Aeroport national".
Your arrival station will be Paris Nord.

You will not be able to print the ticket at home, but since you'd have to see the desk agent at the airport's train station otherwise as well for your ticket to Brussels Midi station to catch your Thalys it's no extra bother IMO.

When at the airport, go to the train station (lowest level/ underground), and pick up your ticket from the staffed counter.
Take ANY train leaving from Brussels airport station. They all serve all three major Brussels city stations. Get off the train at Brussels South station (which will be designated "Bruxelles Midi / Brussel Zuid")
Change to Thalys.

You probably found out already how to get from Spa to Brussels airport. If not, try viamichelin.com
Allow extra time for the short bit you'll have to drive on the Brussels orbital motorway (R0, means: Ring road Zero) because the traffic jams on R0 are notorious.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we are going to cancel our 1 night in Brussels. On our arrival we will get a car, spend the day in Brussels and the head to SPA for the F1 race. Thank you for providing this information.