Brussels Int'l. Airport to Bruges - easiest most efficient way

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2010, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the easiest and most efficient way of getting from the Brussels International Airport to Bruges? Is there a train station at the airport that goes directly there or would we need to transfer? Or, is there a bus service from the Brussels airport to Bruges? All input on this subject greatly appreciated1
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We did this several years ago.

We arrived in Brussels from Budapest at 9:40PM. I asked the customs agent at the airport the direction to the train station which I knew is somewhere in the basement. He pointed to the direction.

I saw that the ticket counter was closed and decided to bypass the ticket machines.

When we got off the escallator there was a train to our right and a conductor. I asked and he pointed to the train on that track. I asked about the ticket and he said we could buy it on the train.

The train left at (if I remember correctly) 10:05 (and that included getting our luggaege and going thru customs!!!).

That same conductor was on the train. He not only sold us the ticket to Brussels but also from Brussels to Brugges.

The only hassle we had was in Brussels. When we arrived the track didn't yet have Brugges marked. We went looking for the track and as it turned out, it was the original track. We went back up, got on the train and arrived in Brugges some time between 11 and midnight. I was amazed we did that.

When we arrived in Brugges I expected to see a few taxis outside. The place was pretty deserted. There was another fellow there who needed a taxi as well. After about 15 minutes a woman driving a taxi pulled up and took the three of us. We shared the taxi and 10 minutes later we were at our hotel.

Then two great days in brugges before training to Amsterdam.
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:11 AM

From the Brussels airport website:

The airport train station is located below the terminal (basement level-1). Up to 4 trains an hour connect the airport to Brussels North, Brussels Central and Brussels Midi stations.

From Rail Europe website:

Train 527
6:05AM
Bruxelles Midi,
Belgium

Brugge,
Belgium
7:02AM
0hr 57min

Trains run from Bruxelles Midi to Bruges about every 30 min.
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:12 AM

The airport train station is located below the terminal. Go down to basement level-1. You'll take a train into Brussels and get off at "Gare Du Nord". Then you'll switch trains to go to Bruges, which will probably be listed as "Brugges".

It's only a 20-minute walk into Bruges, but you'd probably want to take the bus right outside the station doors (the bus station is next door anyway). Choose any bus labeled CENTRUM.

There are taxis, too.

Here's a timetable link showing Brussels airport to Bruges:
http://p2w-hari.b-holding.be/p2w/que...g582cc_1_1.pdf

And you can also just look up things on your own on the Belgian rail site:

http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/

There's no need to make train reservations, by the way, so don't worry about having to order tickets online. There are ticket offices and vending machines at the airport stop.