how do i pay bills while in germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will be in germany for almost three weeks. the day i leave i also get paid. i pay everything online though. will i have access to a computer while in germany (staying in munich for 4 days to start) and will i also have access to an american checking account while in europe (don't know with all the bushism's going on). also i have an mp3 player i would like to take to listen to pimsleur and some music while i'm there. anyone know if american usb cables and euro computers match up so i can charge up while i'm there.??? thanks for your help and time.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

also when i asked if i'll have access to an american account i mean online banking with my american bank while in eu. thanks again
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Neopolitan

As long as you have your checking account set up to pay online, it won't know if the computer you're using is the one at home or one in Timbuktu. Yes, you can pay bills online from any computer at any internet cafe. I do it often.

One word of caution. When you finish, be sure to log out of your online banking, don't just sign off the computer. I was shocked when I returned to an internet cafe once, entered bankofamrica.com and my own account came up. Seems that I hadn't logged out of it a couple days before, was on the same computer and it remembered me. BofA has changed since then so that can no longer happen -- not sure about all banks.

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:29 AM

When we travel for up to 6 weeks, I double the amount of my regular monthly bills, phone, cable, gas and electric, insurance etc. by mailing them good old fashioned checks. (I usually pay them or line or with my credit card on the phone).

It may seem like a lot to put out at one time, but depending on how long you will be gone, it works for me.

If you will be gone for three weeks, write out the checks in advance, and put them in stamped envelopes, for only one months payment and have a TRUSTED friend or relative mail them a few days after your pay day, providing that you have direct deposit for your pay checks.

Any other bills that come in during that three week period will probably not be delinquent by the time you return home.

I wouldn't worry about the hassle of paying on line while traveling, unless will suffer online withdrawl while traveling. Plus I wouldn't send in my payments from Europe ... that would take forever.

You will have access to your American checking account with your ATM card - but that is only for cash withdrawls. Be sure to have a four digit PIN number to use the ATMs.

Enjoy your trip,

Nina

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:31 AM

> it won't know if the computer you're using is the one at home or one in Timbuktu
It will be able to pinpoint your location and modify the page you see according to it. Shouldn't be problem though.
USB cables are the same everywhere, no problem there.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Checks - snail mail, WOW have I dated myself ;-)

Nina
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:34 AM

Nina, can you explain? What ARE those terms?
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 09:43 AM

Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I set up payment for my bills before I leave. If I don't have an exact amount before I leave, I estimate generously on the side of the payee for my phone and credit cards. You can be sure that they won't complain about any extra.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:14 AM

I wouldn't do internet banking or anything significant on a public computer - too much danger of key loggers or other spyware recording your every move.

As you get paid when you leave I'd just write cheques a couple of days beforehand & post them. I doubt if any company will object to getting money early
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:25 AM

Starrsville, Explain what terms??? Did I say something?

What were we talking about???? - Hmmmmmm, must be another one of those senior moments. ;-)

Nina

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 11:24 AM

I'm like Barbara. I set up all payments in advance on my bank's website. That way, it will be paid on time and you won't have to go to a public computer to pay it.

See if this option is available on your bank website. When paying a bill, it always asks me whether I want to pay now or later. I click later, then put in the date of the payment.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Neopolitan

logos, you are right of course. The bank's computers CAN tell where you are. What I should have said was that they don't care!

I'm curious how many people pay all their bills separately these days? I seldom have any. Most are set up for automatic pay-- and whenever possible by automatically charging to my credit card so I get more miles and it even allows me to keep that money for almost another month.

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 01:01 PM
LN

This is wonderful news!! I'd been planning on making checks out and having a good friend mail them for me. Now I can sit down and pay everything and use choose the date I wish the bills to be paid on.

As soon as I read Pavfec's note i realized "someone sent me this great advice without my asking for it.

My bank, BankofAmerica, does allow you to choose the date you'd like your bills to be paid on. I'll re-check with them but I believe I should be fine for a month.

Thanks so very much!!!
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Just be careful when using public terminals. Although I did this for years in a number of countries, never had a problem. Check, if you can use the mobile TAN or at least the ITAN method. Mobile TANs are best, as the code you have to enter in order to confirm, will be sent to your mobile phone only and will only be valid for a few minutes for the transaction you just mode on the internet. It's pretty fool proof ITAN isn't as good, you'll get a list of numbered confirmation codes and a asked for a specific number to confirm.
Scams and phishing attacs happen constantly when using the TAN system, as there you can enter any of your printed codes to confirm. If somebody intercepts it, he can reuse it later on to steal money from you.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Is it possible for you to set up a pre-payment for your bills while you are away? I don't centralize my bill payment at a bank, partly because some items (e.g. phone bill; newspaper subscription) goes to my credit card. While I'm sure it is more efficient to do the all-in-one banking, it is possible for me to set my online accounts to automatically pay my bills on time. This is A LOT better than having to worry about getting to a computer on time, security on a public terminal or in a wireless area, etc. and I've never had a problem (and I've done everything from utilities to credit cards this way.)
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 01:55 PM

>pre-payment for your bills
That's what he/she just said he'll do
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

what would i do without this site...you guys/gals are great...thanks again....
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:21 AM

I was in Europe for nine weeks this summer. I set up my online billpay so that it would make my regular payments when they were due. I also set up a couple of accounts so that they'd pay automatically, either from my Visa or from my checking account.

I'd be careful about how you pay bills by check. The idea of writing the checks and leaving them with a trusted friend or relative to send at the appropriate date seems like a good one to me. I once sent two payments to an account, assuming that they'd credit me for two months. They didn't, and I had to pay a late charge and make another payment.

I can't imagine not checking my Visa balance and my bank account frequently when I'm gone for a long time, but I am careful to log off the accounts.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:38 AM

In the Dark Ages, (before internet banking) we applied for our first mortgage in St. Louis. Our credit report showed several late payments to different things, all in summers. The lender asked for a letter of explanation and I wrote that we left NYC each summer for 12 weeks, and I had to rely on my DH to first send along all the bills to me in a big manila envelope in the mail and I could then send the payments out by mail. Needless to say, this arrangement was not foolproof. The lender read the explanation, threw it away, and asked me to just make something up. She said, "I don't think the underwriter wants to hear that you don't pay your bills when you're on vacation!"

Absurd as it sounds, I thought everyone did it that way!
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:52 AM

I use a combination of direct withdrawal from my checking account, bill to my credit card and prescheduled online bill payments to deal with bills while abroad.

I always keep track of when each bill come in an their due dates as well as how long they "hold" on to the payment until they credit to my account, so that I can expect which bills need to be dealt with while I am gone. One non travel related benefit is that I know which companies shave ever so little grace period each year, and dump them when their actual (not advertised) grace period gets so little to be usable.

I never access my financial accounts from public computers -- too much risk of password capturing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -