Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How can I find out if the Samaria Gorge is open?

Oct 11th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

My friends and I plan on walking down the Samaria Gorge during the last week of October. How do I find out if it is open? I've found many general websites but none with daily updates. I know that it is very weather dependent. Thanks!
Oct 11th, 2006, 10:03 AM

As you've already found out, it very much depends on what the weather's like. Last year a large section of the path was destroyed by heavy rains at the beginning of October, but was open again a week later. So I wouldn't depend on being able to do the walk at the end of October, but I think you'll just have to wait until you get there to find out whether it's safe.
Oct 11th, 2006, 12:04 PM

The rules basically say it's open till the 31st unless it's closed.

I've got a phone number, but i suspect they won't speak English. I'm checking with the webmaster elsewhere.
Oct 11th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We plan to go there the first full day we are on Crete, so we'll need a number or website to contact before we get on a bus in Chania!
Oct 12th, 2006, 02:01 PM

He gave a very obvious answer- and one I should have thought of. When you're in Chania, or any of the other biggish towns,you'll find they're litter with little travel agencies offering tours, renting mopeds, selling dolphin watching trips and, of course, guided trips to Samaria. Any one of them will know.

I've asked a supplementary, about phone numbers and web sites, and I'll let you know.
Oct 17th, 2006, 01:45 PM

OK. I am told defnitively you can't find out by phone or on the web in English if the Gorge is open. Ask a tour shop.
Oct 20th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Dunno if you've left yet Lina, but I definitively predict you won't be walking Samaria

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/n...2006news.shtml