How are the beaches on Amalfi Coast?

Oct 12th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

How are the beaches on Amalfi Coast?

I've heard the coast is so picturesque. I have not read anything about the beaches there. Can someone please comment on the beaches, water cleaness and calmness, access!
Are the beaches sandy, pebbly or rocky? Is the surf high? Where to stay for a week of R&R (on Amalfi) before the sightseeing part of vacation?
Oct 12th, 2003, 02:15 PM

Picturesque yes, sandy no. Pebbly and rocky yes, surf low (except during storms). Water clean and beautiful, access usually by stairs.
There are many lovely places to stay along the coast, just type in the search box what you want and there will be a zillion answers.
Oct 12th, 2003, 03:57 PM

The water isn't all that clean. When we stayed at the San Pietro hotel, they put a sign out on the days the water was too contaminated to swim in. None of the beaches are nice in this area. I have heard Paestum has nice beaches. You could go to Sardinia first where they have very nice beaches and then take a night ferry back to Naples.
Oct 12th, 2003, 06:29 PM

Amalfi beaches are pebbaly but the water was great and clear. If you are in Positano, the beach in the town has nice sand but you should go to Amalfi for the food and beatiful views. La Finnesse (Sorry forthe spelling ) is a great B&B in Positano. You can get to Capri, Pompei, etc from there. Amalfi is great even if you don't swim.
Oct 13th, 2003, 05:41 AM
ira

Hi Erik,

The AC is gorgeous. It is also very vertical. Beaches are accessible by long flights of stairs.

We stayed at Le Sirene hotel in Praiano. Very positive experience. See http://www.lesirene.com/index_ing.htm
Oct 13th, 2003, 03:37 PM

I think 'okminty' means the 'La Fenice' bed & breakfast in Positano? Stayed there several years ago and it provides nice, simple accommadations; however it is on the outskirts of town (to the extent that Positano has a 'center' of town, which it really doesn't). In the overall rating of quality beaches, I'd rate Positano & Amalfi as okay, but nothing great. The coast is fabulously picturesque ... and that's why you hear about the beauty of the coastline, rather than the beaches.
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:48 PM

Yup, I agree. We rented a scooter and zipped along the coast. Great scenery, but the beaches were very pebbly. Positano seemed to have one of the more accessible beaches.
Oct 16th, 2003, 08:33 AM

I love great, sandy, expansive beaches but I don't go to the Amalfi coast for them. I go to the Amalfi coast for the drop dead views, the soul of the little towns, the opportunity to hear a local group of men take out their guitars and sing Neapolitan songs outside of a local bar in Positano, the ambience, the surreal action and social scene in the Piazza in Capri, the fantastic food, the limoncello, the relaxing lifestyle. For beaches I go to St. John and other Caribbean islands. Don't worry about the beaches.
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:59 AM

I thought that the beach in Positano was great! It's a rock beach, but it's not hard to walk on. I was fine in bare feet, but you can wear sandals if you've got sensitive feet. The beach is wide and there are tons of chairs to lie on. I never had a problem getting one. The water is nice and warm-- it was perfect for swimming even in early October. And the water was very calm, as well.

The area around the beach there is wonderful-- lots of shops and cafes. If you'd like to stay in Positano, I recommend Villa Rosa. Hotel Vittoria is also nice and has its own, private beach.
Oct 17th, 2003, 12:38 AM

Here are some pictures that I took of Positano beach and the surrounding towns in May.

www.pbase.com/mightyone

Just keep clicking on the pictures and you will come up with the two beaches in Positano. I hope this helps, Erik.
Oct 17th, 2003, 08:24 AM

Maggy, I go to St. John for the beach too!
Oct 17th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Natalia --- your photos are fabulous, they truly capture the feeling and beauty of the AC.
Between Maitaitom's report and you pictures, I'm deveoping inadequacy feelings. Hope my wife doesn't read this, I've fooled her this far.
Keep up the good work.
Oct 17th, 2003, 10:33 AM

Natalia - your pictures are superb! Wish mine turned out like that ...

Steve
Oct 17th, 2003, 10:45 AM

Thanks, I had just gotten the digital camera as a gift before the trip and read the instructions on the plane. They were so confusing that I just put the camera in point and shoot mode.

It is so beautiful on AC!
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:37 AM
dln

Natalia, your photos make me want to jump on a plane and GO. What I wouldn't give to see that incredible blue water again!