Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How & Where to Rent a Global Cell Phone in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 05:27 PM
Carol

Thought this message title would be better. <BR>Hopefully someone out there can help me.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 09:53 PM
Linda

Carol, try Autoeurope.com. They rent cell phones as well as cars. I think they're even running a special deal for a free cell phone rental if you rent a car from them online.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 03:01 AM
Rex

Carol, <BR> <BR>I am not sure how soon you are leaving, nor if this solution would appeal to you or not... but I bought a phone in Italy for $80 (USD; 159.000 ITL), which included $25 (50.000 ITL) of time. It is an Ericsson, and I used less than $11 of the available time. It was by far and away the most convenient (AND AFFORDABLE) way to make and receive calls I have ever had in Europe. It tells you the length (and cost) of calls at the end of each call (placed to a destination outside Italy). My cheapest call was 0.55 USD (1:49) and my most expensive was about seven dollars (about 9 and 1/2 minutes). I guess that the difference was time of day or something. <BR> <BR>It has a bunch of nice features, like built in alarm clock, calculator and a bunch more I never really fully explored. It has an AC adapter (plug in the wall); I never exceeded the battery capacity, but I think it is rated for 3 days use (no calls) between charges). It is reprogrammable to 15 or 20 different languages (Italian the default, I have it set on English). It will ONLY place and receive calls while the phone is IN Italy. You can buy more time at any mobile phone store. I cannot tell you exactly what are the incrememnts (10.000? 20.000? 50.000 ITL?) <BR> <BR>I will sell it to you, or let you "rent" it from me for any reasonable price you wish to propose. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex Bickers <BR>Westerville, Ohio <BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 03:33 AM
Rex

On a similar thread on this subject, steve from Austin made a comment about "reasonable" telephone rates form hotels - - certainly NOT every hotel. See my trip report for the experience of a $15 dollar (5 minute minimum) call from Hotel Giada in Florence. This was the primary motivation for my buying the cell phone described above. <BR>

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Rex

to the top - - for teener... <BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rex, do you happen to remember the model number? I have these pages of phone to wade though.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:13 PM

Chardonnay -

Mobile phones, like computers, become obsolete almost as soon as you get them out of the store. It's unlikely the model that Rex bought two years ago is even being made now.

Suggest you take a look at the article I posted on a couple of other threads on this topic, which does contain recommendations for specific, current models.

Message: Here is a link to a series of very good, very detailed articles re international mobile phones:
http://www.thetravelinsider.info/2002/0308.htm

Along the left side of the page, there are links to further articles re unlocking your GSM phone, reviews of specific phones and phone services, etc. This is the most comprehensive, specific information of this nature I've ever found from a single source, and I thought others might also find it useful.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:17 PM
rex

&lt;&lt;Mobile phones, like computers, become obsolete almost as soon as you get them out of the store. It's unlikely the model that Rex bought two years ago is even being made now.&gt;&gt;

Yeah, I agree! It's like asking what was the bar code on a box of cereal from two years ago.

Walk into a store. But the cheapest one they sell.

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:17 PM
rex

Whoops... buY...