House Rental - Greek Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a villa or apartment rental for two weeks in September on a Greek island. We are a couple in our 30s and have both been to Greece, and are looking for a location for a longer stay. I am looking for recommendations both for islands and particular units or recommended agencies.

Island requirements are: not so touristy that we can't get a feel for the local rhythms; access to water for swimming, sailing, beaches; views; not impossible to get to (flights and ferries are fine, but ideally not more than 2 legs after Athens); access to walks or hikes; at least a few tavernas for dinner.

House requirements are: big enough to not feel claustrophobic after two weeks; large terrace with a view; functional kitchen; access to grocery or market. Ideally we'd like to not pay more than US$2000 a week, and it's okay if it's a bigger than 1 bedroom place.

I adored Santorini when I visited, but am worried it's too populated a spot for this kind of trip (my visit was about five years ago in the off season). Any recommendations for either islands or properties?

Thank you!
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:40 AM

If you can get to Corfu, take a fery or water taxi across to Paxos, you would find an idyllic and virtually unspoilt island with everything you ask for. One of the Ionian Isles.

You could try a search for Paxos here as it has been mentioned several times, mostly by xenos and myself. Xenos knows it much better than I do, having been there for many years now.

The main villa rental company there is Planos

www.planos.co.uk

but there are others you will find if you google Paxos.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Based on your price I may be too downmarket for you, but have a look at the Harbour Apartments in Paleochora in Crete
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:40 AM

HI there,

I think we can help you. Please take a look at http://www.simplycreteholidays.co.uk and email us if that is what you are looking for. We have a wide selection, some of which are on the website, but if you have specific requirements, just let us know.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:27 AM

I loved my honeymoon stay on Poros (1 hour boat ride from Athens and 5 minute taxi-boat ride to the Peloponnese). We stayed at Sto Roloi at the beginning and at the end of our trip (once in beautiful Pyrgaki and another time in a beautiful large house). It's really out of the tourist trails and lovely. Excellent service! Also one of the best tavernas of our trip (Platanas). Also very easy to rent car and visit astounding sites of the Peloponnese! http://www.storoloi-poros.gr/
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Look for places on Sifnos. You'll need a car but it's low key, great beaches, and enough things going on to keep you interested. Sifnos has no airport so you would have to take the ferry. I think the high speed runs from Pireaus-Sifnos on Thursdays, about a 3-4 hr ride. You should be able to find a villa or hotel easily.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 09:16 AM

I second Julia's suggestion of Paxos. Given your requirements and the sort of budget you have available I think that Planos's Villa Prokopis - http://www.planos.co.uk/village_6.htm
or one of Spirit of Greece's villas with its own pool - http://www.spiritofgreece.co.uk/acco...ion.html#paxos would be ideal. (NB Planos's prices on their website include flights and transfers from the UK, so accommodation only would probably be around 350 USD pp less.)

If you would like to find out more about Paxos, please take a look at my mini-guide on the Corfu Travel Guide website - http://tinyurl.com/7q3kb - which includes a whole list of companies offering accommodation on Paxos.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for these suggestions. Paxos looks very promising and I have a few follow up questions for those who have been:

I've spent some time looking at the various houses for rent - does anyone have any experience with a specific property? I'm particularly looking for things I can't necessarily tell from the website pictures such as how private the house is, quality of upkeep, views or lack thereof, convenience to the towns. It looks like Loggos is the leading contender for location, so recommendations for properties there would be most helpful.

How will the weather be in September on Paxos? What about crowds? Is there a substantial difference in either between early and late September?

If we're spending about 10 days at one property in Paxos, will we need a car or moped? Even if we are close to groceries, tavernas, etc., will one be necessary to explore the island fully?

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Chania, Crete- check out www.diktynna-travel.gr for many rental homes,cottages. You won't get bored.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Well I've been to Paxos 13 times so far, with my 14th visit coming up this July. I've gone there with 5 different tour operators and have stayed in 6 different properties and am familiar with quite a few more.

If you've had a look at the Planos villa, Prokopis, which I recommended, you'll probably have noticed Villa Tula on the same page. We stayed there 3 years ago and whilst we were there we had a look around both Prokopis and the Beach House. All three houses are only a stone's throw from the beach and the two higher ones (Propokis and Tula) both have fabulous views. Because they are situated on different levels they both have their own very private terraces. Of the two, I would definitely choose Prokopis, because it is a bigger house and the interior is all on one level, unlike Tula which has a downstairs kitchen with a separate entrance. We thought the interior was well appointed and maintained and would certainly give two people plenty of space to live in for a few weeks.

It's about 5 minutes' walk from Loggos village which has all you will need for your day-to-day requirements, but if you want to really explore the island and get the most out of your visit, I would certainly recommend hiring a car for at least a few days. Public transport is fairly limited in September, with only about 2 or 3 buses a day running to the other main villages of Gaios and Lakka.

I've been there twice in September and the weather is kind of variable. The first time, we had a couple of cooler, windy days when the sea was too rough to take out our hired boat, but the second time it was sunbathing weather for the whole holiday. Generally speaking, the earlier in September you go, the better the chance of really good weather. Paxos is a very green island and there's a reason for that - it rains a lot in winter!

As far as crowds go, once the high season finishes at the end of August, there's very little to choose between the beginning or end of September. Even in high season, Paxos doesn't get all that crowded, because there just isn't enough mass accommodation for it to do so. I took this photo of Levrechio beach from Tula's terrace one lunchtime in the middle of July - http://tinypic.com/kaqjoj.jpg and I don't know about you, but I'd hardly call that crowded.

If you want any info about any other specific properties in Loggos, please let me know. You can send me a private message via the Corfu Travel Guide if you want lots of complicated detail!
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Don't tell them you are willing to pay up to $2000 a week. If you do, someone will come along with a villa for that price, but you can get what you specify for much less. September is shoulder season, so you are in a position to negotiate.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Here's what is written in the travel supplement on Greece in today's Daily Telegraph:

"FIVE OF THE BEST ISLANDS

Paxos -

Far enough away from Corfu to escape that island's excesses, Paxos has a quiet charm. the olive trees that cover most of it have grown unchecked for hundreds of years, forming a dense grove threaded by ancient paths. The west has dramatic cliffs, the east pretty beaches, and you can walk between the two in an hour. There are only three villages; the smallest, Loggos, is ludicrously pretty. The presence of yachties and Italians in summer ensures above-average dining."

Other mentioned islands are Skopelos, Poros, Folegandros and Crete.

Xenos - I took a look at your mini-guide and photos - they're wonderful! I have the offer of my friend's house for the last week of August, but unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen this year...
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 11:57 PM

Thanks Julia!

I've just had a look at the Telegraph article and I'm not sure whether to be happy or worried! Obviously I want the island to continue to prosper from tourism and this will help, so that makes me happy. But Paxos only has a very limited amount of tourist accommodation and the space available, along with fairly strict planning regulations, helps to ensure that it remains that way.

What worries me is that too much publicity will eventually lead to demand outstripping supply and Paxos will become a place that only the very rich (or hopelessly addicted!) can afford to go to.

I hope you manage to sort things out so you can get to Paxos in August, it would be such a pity to miss the opportunity.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 04:50 AM

Can anyone recommend a hotel on the beach? If you had to choose one island, would you choose Naxos or Paxos?
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Paxos only has one hotel on a beach, the Paxos Beach Hotel(!) - http://www.paxosbeachhotel.gr/ but I can't say I'd recommend it, because I personally prefer to stay in villa or apartment accommodation on Paxos.

Speaking as someone who has had around 30 holidays in Greece, of which 13 have been on Paxos, I would pick Paxos over ANY other Greek island!