hours of grocery stores

Dec 7th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

hours of grocery stores

I was wondering if anyone knew if any grocery stores are open on Sunday? We specifically were interested in the area of Montepulciano. Also, do you know how late they would be open on Saturday. Thanks .
Dec 7th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Hi KatGio, since there is no Italian forum here, it's not a bad idea to post the town/country in your title, so people can scan titles easier
Dec 7th, 2007, 09:33 AM

since no one has responded definitively about Montepulciano area

IME supermarkets always open Saturdays - a very busy day

and in larger towns on Sundays as well - in smaller towns maybe not or smaller ones on Sunday morning

hopefully someone can give a better idea about Montepulciano
Dec 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Our closest friends live part-time just a bit west of Montepulciano in San Quirico. They arrived there today. Last time they were in SQ, their PC could not attach to the internet. I'll e-mail them with your question, but they may not reply for a week or so.

The Co-op grocery where they live is closed at least 1 day a week, and at lunch. I think that day is Wed. I think it's also closed Sunday afternoons - and perhaps mornings also.

They shop at the grocery in Montepulciano from time-to-time.

Stu Dudley
Dec 7th, 2007, 10:27 AM

There's an article on grocery shopping in Italy at www.slowtrav.com. It includes instructions on how to use the coin-operated shopping carts.

In my experience renting in Italy, the rental always started on a Saturday, and after checking in, we rushed off to a grocery store/supermarket to load up on toilet paper, food, etc. The stores were usually open fairly late on Saturday, like 8:00 and were full of locals doing their weekend shopping; the stores were closed on Sunday.

It's been a few years so maybe this is no longer accurate. Check with your agency/renter/hotel.
Dec 7th, 2007, 10:34 AM

According to the Coop Web site, the one in Montepulciano is open 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday (except on Wednesday, when it is only open in the morning). It is closed all day Sunday.
Dec 7th, 2007, 12:16 PM

ALL grocery stores (and EVERYTHING else too!) are closed all day on Sunday in my town (although it is South in Campania)! They are also closed Thursday afternoons. Otherwise....they are open from about 9am to 12:30pm and then again from 4 or 4:30pm to about 7:30pm. (some small grocery shops would stay open a bit later than that) Best thing to do on a Sunday is find out what town in the area hosts their weekly market on Sunday ;-) you can buy pretty much EVERYTHING you need at the market (including milk, eggs, cheese, deli meats, coffee, etc.) The further North you go, the more things stay open though...so you may be fine ;-) I remember the joy and shock when I first passed a grocery OPEN on a Sunday in Rome ;-)
Dec 7th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful info. I was hoping that the stores would remain open fairly late on Saturday which it seems they do. Thanks again.
Dec 7th, 2007, 01:19 PM

Next door in Pienza lots of stores are open on Sunday (wine, cheese, picnic items, etc). I don't think there is anything other than a mom & pop grocery, however, and I doubt that it would be open on Sunday.

Stu Dudley
Dec 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM

The Ipercoops in Tuscany are open on Sunday but I have no idea how close one might be to your area of interest--I'm not picturing one that far south.
Dec 15th, 2007, 07:14 AM

Our friends finally returned from San Quirico. They shop at the grocery in Montepulciano quite often. Here is their reply:

Conads in Montepulciano is only closed Sunday and does not close for lunch. If people are arriving on the autostrata and getting off at the Chiusi/Chianciano exit, right after the exit on the left is a large 'commerciale' shopping center. Inside is a Large grocery store, Pam. Although they are closed on Sunday, they're not closed for lunch

Stu Dudley
Dec 15th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Stu for your reply. That will work out perfectly as we will be picking up relatives at the train station in Chiusi.
Dec 16th, 2007, 12:00 AM

We stayed in Castellina in Chianti 2 years ago and the local Coop was not open on Sunday. However, I think we found out after-the-fact that another nearby town's Coop was open on Sunday. Not 100% sure however.