hotels venice, florence, rome

Old Jul 6th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotels venice, florence, rome

we (middle-aged couple) have decided on 3 nights in venice, 4 nights in florence and 5 nights in rome with a side trip ( 1 night in avellino). hotel recommendations would be appreciated. clean, private bath, and decent location, in $100-200 range if possible.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Might as well start thinking in euro... so 72-143 euro/night.

What month are you traveling? (as far as making hotel suggestions, since many hotels have significantly higher room rates in high season).
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

we are traveling mid october
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Recently mentioned here in the Europe forum have been the Hosianum Palace and Baldassani B&B in Rome. I don't know either of those, but looked them up on tripadvisor.com and they seem like good spots. I don't think you could get a room in either at the lower end of your price range; maybe the upper. We stayed at the Arco del Lauro B&B (rooms with baths, nice and clean, but one has to go down the street for the coffee and roll breakfast), also in your range.

My last stays in Venice have been in apartments, Florence, too. But I have clients that stayed in the small and inexpensive Hotel Santa Croce in Florence, and they liked it very much, for what it was.

http://www.hotelsantacroce.it/home.htm

I have often stayed in this area in Florence, and I have to say that it is my favorite neighborhood in the city.

There was a thread here on Florence recommendations in the past day or two; it ought to be easy to find.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 05:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As you peruse specific hotel websites, be on the lookout for deals many are offering this summer and which may extend into the autumn months. I.e., if you stay three nights, the fourth night is free, etc. This could really work well with your moderate budget.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 06:00 PM

I stayed at Locanda Marinella in Venice. Close to the Piazzale Roma, last bus stop in Venice and walking distance from there. You might find cheaper hotels in Mestre, but you have to take the bus across the bridge every time to get to Venice. It's very close to all the water buses. I recommend this hotel fully. I stayed last year in Sept. 95 euros breakfast included. Pleasant staff. Nick and Daniel were running hotel. It was very clean and nicely decorated. Daniele gave me specific instructions how to get to hotel and very helpful with suggestions.
Locanda Marinella, S. Croce 345 (rio terà dei pensieri)30135 - Veneziatel. 0039.041.2759457 - fax. 0039.041.710386www.locandamarinella....amarinella.com. Anna
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

i am new to this forum it seems it seems good, thanks for the quick replies i will check out your recommendations (suze,tuscanlifeedit, jean and aiacono)
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 06:45 PM

In Rome I'd recommend the Modigliani. I stayed there last year and I'm returning this summer. Nice location and great staff. The only caveat is that the hotel is on a steep street if you are coming from Piazza Barberini. Otherwise is great.
In Venice nothing beats the Bernardi Semenzato (I believe I paid 80 last summer) or La Residenza. Both have small rooms, the second is closest to San Marco but they are clean, cheap and safe.
Florence is trickier. Try the Nova Italia. I stayed there a couple of years ago. One of the owners is American and its really close to the train station and to Santa Maria del Fiore (duomo)
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I stayed at Alloro B&B in Florence. It's between the train station and duomo so was convenient and should be at the lower end of your price range if book their 3 night promotion. I got a better price than on their website by e-mailing and asking about rooms.
http://www.allorobb.it/Eng/index.html
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 09:12 AM

I haven't been to either place in order to make suggestions, but I can tell you that as I've been planning my first trip to both Florence and Rome, I've done a ton of research. What Jean and kybourbon said is correct: check the hotel websites (even if you think they are slightly out of your price range) directly to search for specials and send emails to them. You may get a different rate from an email compared to what you see on the website. Some of the websites have an online booking form that when you plug in the dates of your stay, it will then calculate a discount for you.

I booked rooms at the Hosianum Palace in Rome and Hotel Casci in Florence. Both seem to have pretty good reviews according to tripadvisor.com. Paolo, one of the owners of Hotel Casci is very responsive and has been incredibly helpful through email and I like his responses on tripadvisor whenever the hotel got a negative review so he could explain his side of the situation.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Kenc,

I love the Al Teatro B&B in Venice in San Marco. We had the Amber Room last July which had a balcony overlooking the canal. Have a look at their website, the owners are delightful, I am returning to stay there in March for 6 nights. I was considering the Hotel ai do Mori as well which is right near St Marks Square (a cheaper option).

www.bedandbreakfastalteatro.it
www.hotelaidomori.it

In Florence we stayed at the wonderful Alloro B&B right in the heart of Florence. A stone's throw from the train station, but not so close that you know you are near the train. Request the balcony room, we stayed there last July and we paid 99 euro per night for the balcony room, great rates for peak season. The breakfast is fantastic and the owner, Cristian is delightful.

www.allorobb.it

In Rome, I can highly recommend the B&B Baldassini right near the Pantheon as previously mentioned on this thread. I stayed there last June and I am returning in March.

www.baldassinibeb.it

Here you can read the reviews for yourself:
http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/H...ome_Lazio.html

As an ex-Qantas Airways Flight Attendant I've stayed in thousands of hotels over many, many years but I must admit that the B&B's represent much better value for money and offer a much more personal feel.

You are most welcome to use my past guest discount code (BBB777) to obtain a small discount on your accommodation. Also, if you do decide to book at Baldassini, the owner will give you your own discount code for a further discount - you can use both discounts on the one booking!!

Here are 2 links to some info I put together about the Baldassini, restaurants, cafes, bars etc, I hope you find it useful:

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/S...ome_Lazio.html

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/S...ome_Lazio.html

Have a great holiday,
melissa
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:57 PM

Bookmarking!
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

many thanks for the suggestions jax9000, ky, burbon, bouradly, and aussiegirl, i will check then all out. the baldassini sounds great thanks melissa for the code.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 03:20 PM

If you click on my name you can find postings of hotels lists in all 3 cities---you may have to search also.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 05:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had dinner with friends last night who had positive comments on this B&B in Florence located very near the Duomo:

http://www.proconsolo.com/