Search

Tuscany by bus

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscany by bus

I am interested in seeing Siena , and i guess Chianti for the wine tasting, and what other town is a must see in tuscany ? can i see these places by bus ? i was going to do fiesole and, pisa on seperate trips as i am in florence for a few days.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can easily get to Siena by bus which you catch near the Florence train station. It takes a little over an hour and cost was 6€ last fall. Bus schedules for much of the areas you want to see are on http://www.sienamobilita.it/EN/index.html

I would visit Pisa by train.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 09:51 AM

The bus station in Florence is across the street from the train station. You will find that on most days (less on Sunday and Holiday) buses will run to and from Siena on a frequent basis. There may be way to include wine but time is the factor. Do you have one day allocated for this direction?
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Yes, only one day we just want to experience Tuscany but not see each and every area. As for Siena , hear it is a must see for the area, very pretty, so we just want to spend a little time there, and see the main square, have lunch maybe. What is your opinion on Fiesole ? I would do that on another day, but i hear it is also nice to see.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 10:52 AM

Fiesole, Siena, and Lucca are all easy day trips from Florence by public transportation. The primary hill towns are more difficult to access--consider a private driver.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 12:01 PM

With only one day I would either concentrate on Lucca and if time allows when there consider taking the train(20 minutes, I think)to Pisa or choose Siena for the day trip. You can check out the train schedule on http://www,sbb.ch/en/ to see if the train or bus is a better choice.

All we saw of Fiesole was by taking the hop-on
hop-off bus from the Florence rail station, but
I dont' think there is a lot to see there. Others on this site could help with that. A quick trip would probably suffice. The highlight
for us was the overlook stop to see Florence from up in the hills.

Happy travels!!!!
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Try http://www.sbb.ch/en/
The comma is not going to help!!!!
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

so there is a hop on /hop off bus from florence station ? i think that might work best for us .. any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 12:38 PM

Forget the hop on hop off tourist bus. It skirts the mostly pedestrian center of town. To go to Fiesole, just take the normal public bus #7 from the train station. Fiesole has a lovely view of Florence, some ruins, and a few interesting churches.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 07:25 PM

We took the hop-on-hop-off bus one afternoon to rest our tired bodies and enjoyed the visit to Fiesole.
If you only want Fiesole sounds like the #7 would
meet your need. This site will give you more inf, but I doubt that you would need reservations. http://www.viator.com/tours/Florence...r/d519-2916FLR