Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotels:Truissa Palace(Rome), Hotel Balestri (Florence) and Locanda La Corte(Venice)?

Search

Hotels:Truissa Palace(Rome), Hotel Balestri (Florence) and Locanda La Corte(Venice)?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sisters and I (ages 40-50) are traveling to Italy next June for our first "big trip". We would like a central location since we prefer to walk to buses,etc. We would prefer to have one room but are flexible on that - would prefer something with a pretty area to relax (balcony or garden area). So far with research I have come up with the hotels mentioned above. We want to pay a moderate price (at least under $300).. any imput on these hotels or others would be greatly appreciated.

Rome: Triussa Palace (or Cosmopolita?)
Florence: Hotel Balestri (or Hotel Degli Orafi)
Venice: Locanda La Corte (or Londra Palace)

Thanks!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 05:19 AM

Julieann, You will get better answers if you merely pose an open question rather than citing specific hotels. How did you choose these? A search on this site will disclose hundreds of good suggestions--just search under Rome hotels.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

I did do a general search here - many came up! I looked on tripadvisor and other forums and these where mentioned several times. I am really trying to narrow the search. I appreciate your suggestion. I will try again just listing our criteria. Thanks.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 06:47 AM

Julie- I understood your post just fine, you've done your research, these are the hotels you came up with, and now you'd like some feedback, right?

Okay, I had to look up Locanda La Corte-I see it's in Castello, near Campo Giovanni e Paolo-that's a great little local neighborhood, very central to San Marco, Rialto-with a good mix of both locals and tourists-I think you'd like it (don't have any specific info. on the Locanda itself) You might also want to look at Ca Gottardi-which is in Canneregio-it's a lovely B & B with atmosphere, on a canal, and right off the Strada Nuova-a charming area filled with great little osteria-also Liassidi Palace, in Castello- ancient pink palazzo that fronts a canal, renovated in a modern style-I stayed there when it first opened a couple of years ago, but it has gotten fairly expensive- you can check it out on tripadvisor.com

As to the Trilussa Palace-I have walked by this hotel in Trastevere-excellent location-I actually prefer staying away from PN area in Trastevere because it's a real Roman neighborhood, in addition to being a nightlife/restaurant scene. You're right there near Piazza S.M. in Trastevere-where everyone in Rome likes to hang out at night, it seems. I think you'd be happy with the hotel and the location.

LP-in Castello-a very quiet area fronting the Ponte/rio dei Greci, I believe-I was here a couple of years ago when it had just opened-magnificent public rooms (called a "piano nobile&quot where I took my cappucino from the small little cafe located in the basement of the hotel to sit and imagine this lovely pink palazzo was my house, the rooms are brand new, all mod., very comfortable, personable staff (very important!) willing to help you, small outdoor sitting/sunning area-nice rooms-2 minutes to the waterfront and San Marco

I would also think you would want to consider some of the really nice places in Cannaregio-the charms of this area will become immediately apparent, once you stay here-it is the authentic heart of Venice-you will see what the city is really like here-without being mobbed by the thousands of day-trippers there on the waterfront/San Marco area-Canneregio is charming in every way-read some of the tripadvisor. reviews for hotels in this area, and I think you'll see what I mean-Ca Gottardi is a fab little otel in a great location, and I hear very good things about

Trilussa Hotel-although I've not stayed here, I bopped by this hotel in Trastevere last year, and thought about staying there myself-it is in a GREAT location, people have different preferences as to which area they like to stay in Rome-I like Trastevere-because it's a real Roman neighborhood and not quite as "touristic" as PN/Pantheon area. Plus, it's got the whole nightlife/restaurant scene, you're right there next to the Piazza SM Trastevere, where everyone likes to hang out at night-I'd go with that one.

Florence-I don't have any suggestions there, as I've not been there in a while.

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Girlspytravel for your input. It was just what I was looking for! I do have another question for you. You mentioned that the Truissa Palace in Rome was where everyone likes to hang out - does it get really noisy until late into the night? Will it be fairly quiet in hotel? Thanks so much for your help!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:37 AM

You know, looking at that post, I think somehow two parts got combined-hopefully, you were able to discern that!

Yes, Trastevere DOES get noisy at night, it is a restaurant/nightlife real Roman 'hood-so the Vespas are going all the time here-but it's a great place to get in touch with the real city, as opposed to just the areas where the tourists roam (although tourists are all over Trastevere-more stay in the PN/Pantheon area). I would think, however, that since this is a newish hotel, that they would have pretty good soundproofing-however, you should email or call the hotel and request a quiet room-also, check on tripadvisor.com for reviews of the hotel re the noise, -and I wouldn't be put off necessarily by some negative reviews, you have to parse through those carefully to see if it's just a personal little tiff on the part of the reviewer or a true structural/mgmt. issue with the hotel.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Girlspytravel, I did see where two parts were combined - no problem I saw what you meant. I will request 'quiet room' - good idea and recheck tripadvisor. I do like to read reviews carefully because I have noticed some do pick apart one item to lower review score. Thanks for taking time to answer. I do feel location and friendliness of hotel is critical to trip.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 09:12 AM

Julieann,

If you plot the location of the Trilussa Palace on either www.mappy.com or www.viamichelin.com, you will see that Piazza Ippolito Nievo is a slight widening of the Viale Trastevere, the main, multi-lane drag through Trastevere. It is at least 10 minutes walk from Santa Maria in Trastevere. And another 10 minutes from S.M. in Trastevere to the other side of the Tiber and the historical center. There is a tram that runs along Viale Trastevere that will take you to Largo di Torre Argentina, a main hub in the historical center, but those are your choices: walk quite a bit or take public transportation.

Trastevere can be a great place to be, but the closer your hotel is to Santa Maria in Trastevere and the Ponte Sisto, the pedestrian bridge across the Tiber, the better off you are.

Have a look at the Hotel Santa Maria

http://www.htlsantamaria.com/english/index.htm

It's three- and not four-star, but it has a pretty courtyard (instead of a roof terrace) and a much better location.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 09:26 AM

Eloise-although I certainly did not measure it out to the inch, I didn't feel that Trilussa P. was far away from the action at all-as I recall, and it was just this past summer I was there- it was quite close to Piazza S.M., right in the thick of things.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 10:01 AM

julieann,

My thoughts...

Venice:
Locanda La Corte and Londra Palace are both nice, well located hotels. Londra Palace is over your budget, however, and I see you need to email Locanda La Corte to get the prices - what rate did they offer you?

Florence:
Again, Hotel Balestri and Hotel Degli Orafi are both nice and have both good locations. Since the Hotel Degli Orafi appears to be way over your budget (unless you got some special deal?), I would stay with the Hotel Balestri.

Rome:
The Triussa Palace is not very central. It is 1.4 kilometers (as the crow flys) just to reach to Ponte Sisto. If you want to stay in Trastevere, then at least get something closer.
The Cosmopolita is central enough, but I don't care for the area. The historic center of Rome gets much nicer, IMO, once you get at least a few blocks west of Via del Corso and especially the area west of the Pantheon. Below are some alternates you may want to consider. Just my opinion.

http://www.residenzafarneseroma.it
www.hotelteatrodipompeo.it
http://www.albergodelsenato.it/home.html
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 10:06 AM

I just noticed that the English language portion of the Rezidenza Farnese website is under work - you can still get a good idea by clicking through in Italian and calling them with questions. I think it's actually the best of the three for your sisters and you and worth telephoning.

http://www.residenzafarneseroma.it
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much - I will investigate all suggestions as soon as I get a little more time. My job really gets in the way of planning my trip!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 10:21 AM

The problem with the hotels you listed, Bardo, is that I very much doubt they would be available in June, the height of the high season, for under $300.00, certainly not Albergo del Senato.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:53 AM

For good value and location for 2 ladies in June, I would look at these:
Venice--Locanda Barbarigo--about 170E
Florence---Tourist House Ghiberti--150E
Rome---Hotel San Carlo--170E
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 01:49 PM

Girlspytravel,

I did some background checking to fin prices before posting. I assume you did also but somehow came up with different info. Below is from the hotels own websites. Unfortunately, they don't show June 2007 rates yet - julieanne may have to telephone or email them.

Anyway:
RESIDENZA FARNESE - 150E/night for double in July/August 2006 (min. 2 night stay)

HOTEL TEATRO DI POMPEO - 2007 HIGH SEASON RATES - 205E/night for double or twin and 240E/night for a triple.

ALBERGO DEL SENATO - October 2006 - 190E/night for a triple

Again, for the Farnese and Del Senato she may need to call but it is likely she can get rooms at one of these three within her budget.