Search

hotels paris

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotels paris

I want to stay in the 6th. This is my fifth time to Paris, and I love the Left Bank.

Our friends want to stay in Hotel Britannique. This is their first time to Paris. This hotel is between Rue Rivoli and the Seine, between pont neuf and pont au palais. What is this area like? When I picture it, I see 6 lanes of traffic, large buildings, etc. Can anyone describe this area, its personality/flavor/feel?

Many thanks

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:46 AM

1. read reviews on Tripadvisor
". . .Most of all, we couldn't have asked for a better location, minutes from everything. It is on a tree lined street that is very quiet, yet just a block from the Seine. . ."

2. use www.pagesjaunes.fr - search for "hotel", "britannique" and "paris". Click on "photo" when you see the listing. Use the arrows to see the the hotel's exterior, nearby buildings and to look up/down the street.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Interesting. I've never heard of it, and just visited their website. I'd have no qualms about the location -- busy, but hardly the way you seem to picture it. Actually it's very convenient and a close walk to so much.

What a charming looking hotel.
http://www.hotel-britannique.fr/index.html
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:52 AM

By the way, I'm starting to get the idea that 15 years or so ago, when we all started discovering the Left Bank as THE place to stay in Paris, it wasn't so touristy, and the dozens of wonderful little atmospheric hotels were such bargains. But it has become just that -- THE place to be and crowds and prices have risen to indicate that.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:57 AM
ira

Hi tony,

Looks like a very nice hotel in a nice location.

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 09:58 AM

I've heard a lot of nice things about that hotel, it seems like a good choice. I don't know why you think it would have 6 lanes of traffic and large buildings -- maybe you are picturing the area on rue de Rivoli near the Louvre or place de la Concorde or the road near the Seine or something, but this clearly isn't on those main streets. It's really very near the Chatelet metro stop.

If you've been to Paris 4 times, you might want to explore a little more.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 10:49 AM

It looks like a charming hotel in a nice area. I, too, always want to stay in the 6th but as your friends want to stay at the Britannique, this might be an opportunity to try another area. I don't think you can go wrong as the hotel is very centrally located.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Having just returned from a repeat visit myself, and having just stayed in the 6th again, I must say I still prefer the right bank, specifically the 1st or close by. I can't offer any logical explanation other than I just like it better--less maze-like to me, for one thing.

I happen to particularly hate the Chatelet metro stop and would go out of my way to avoid relying on it, but that's me.

The Britannique did used to get mentioned around here pretty regularly, try searching on it here by name

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 12:07 PM

We stayed across the street from the Britannique at the Hotel Victoria Chatelet several years ago. The street is actually small, there were a lot of pedestrians as the Chatelet metro is right there, but it is not 6 lanes of traffic. The Seine is about 1 1/2 block from the hotel. The area is more business than residential, and it is a very convenient location. Take Travelnut's advice and use www.pagesjaunes.fr to "walk" the street.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 12:14 PM

I stayed at Britannique for a night in 2002. It's fine. Lots of good reviews.

But I did want to mention that for what it is, I found it a bit expensive. Perhaps that was because I moved to Therese the next night, which at that time, was cheaper, and I preferred it.

I spent a night at Britannique because I changed my itinerary during the trip (so that I could spend an extra night in Paris).

So Britannique is fine, but not necessarily a bargain.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

They want to stay at Britannique because of pictures on the web, and comments on tripadvisor.

I just want to be in an area with charm, a place that makes me smile.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 03:06 PM

You're going to be in Paris with friends. If that doesn't make you smile, what will?

I don't want to get personal here, but have you traveled with these people before? If you're already disagreeing about where you stay, I'm wondering about restaurant suggestions or "what shall we do today" problems. We've done a lot of trips with friends who have never been to the places before. I enjoy their enjoying and experiencing something new. And we often do a lot that I'd never choose to do on my own, but enjoy it because it makes my friends happy.

I suspect those double rooms are very, very small. The junior suites look nice, but they do come at a price. What hotel were you thinking in the Left Bank?
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:26 AM
ira

topping for tony
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Hello~
A dear friend of ours stayed at the Brittanique this past Dec and on her recommendation, we tried to get reservations for this March. They were booked. According to her, and I definitely would take her advice, it is a lovely hotel and they treat you very well. They were very nice to deal with but alas, we were asking for a room at the wrong time.
I would say Go for it. The area is very good, you are near everything. And she said that it is in a quiet spot. I saw photos of their room, very nice. Good luck~