Hotels in Seville...Curious

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning our summer trip to Spain. Arriving Madrid (with a side trip to Toledo) and staying 3 nights at The Westin Palace. Next off to Seville for 3 nights by train. I am leaning between Hotel Casa 1800 and Las Casas de la Juderia. However I am curious that Casa 1800 is top rated on Trip Advisor and yet not even mentioned in Fodors, Frommers, and Maribels Guides, while Las Casas de La Juderia is listed in all. Does anyone have experience with both and can advise? My wife and I are celebrating "big" birthdays and are considering Hotels for location, room comfort, and great hotel support staff.
We continue on to Granada, where we are considering AC Palacio de Santa Paula and Casa Morisca. We welcome thoughts on these as well. We will then fly to Barcelona for 4 nights and conclude our trip at Hotel Majestic.
Not quite sure why, but we are stumped with choosing the hotel for the Seville leg. Thanks for all comments.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 11:20 AM

Hotel Casa 1800 is less than 2 years old. It is not mentioned in even some of the newest guidebook editions. I'd choose the Hotel Casa 1800 over Las Casas de La Juderia.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 11:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed at Las Casa de la Juderia several years ago and were very pleased. A strange very narrow laneway that leads to the main entrance which is actually a courtyard.

Right in front of the hotel is a little square with a few restaurants.

The hotel is a gathering of old buildings and palaces so the rooms will all be very different depending upon the floor and building.

We were in room 30 which the clerk told me several days later is the nicest room.

It didn't have much of a view, but has two windows, a four poster bed, coffee table, sofa and chair as well as a desk and chair. In addition, the room had a walk-in closet with plenty of drawer space.

I would definitely stay there again.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 11:34 AM

We stayed at Las Casas de la Juderia on our honeymoon several years ago, loved it! Like Myer notes, it's a collection of buildings and they are linked by passageways and hallways. Really neat. Our room was very comfortable, quaint and quiet. I'd go back!
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. The reviews and pictures of Hotel 1800 are great and I seem to be drawn to it over the charm of Las Casas de la Juderia. This should be our biggest dilemma in planning the trip.

Any thoughts on our candidates in Granada?
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 01:12 AM

Hundreds of guest reviews of "your" hotels:

Casa 1800: http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/sevi...a-1800.en.html

Las Casas de la Judería: http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/sevi...uderia.en.html

Both hotels are in the beautiful Santa Cruz district. Very popular - both among tourists and locals - tapas bar Bodega Santa Cruz (Las Columnas) is on the doorstep of Casa 1800.
http://azahar-sevilla.com/sevilletap...ga-santa-cruz/

AC Palacio de Santa Paula: http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/pala...apaula.en.html

Casa Morisca: http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/casa-morisca.en.html

Casa Morisca will be in the charming, medieval Moorish Albaycín quarter. The top of the Albaycín district is situated on a relatively steep hill, but this hotel is in the lower part, just up from the scenic walk from central Plaza Nueva along the Darro river.

Palacio de Santa Paula will be much more "down-town".
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks kimhe,

In Sevilla, I plan to book Casa 1800.
In Granada, I'm now concerned that the AC Palacio de Santa Paula may be too "down town." Have you an opinion on Casa 1800 in Granada? Thanks again to you and all the other helpful respondents.
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 11:13 AM

The Santa Paula is very nice. Discrete and professional staff. The restaurant is very good. Sitting out in the courtyard on a full moon evening for dinner can be very enjoyable.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 08:55 AM

I stayed at the Las Casas de la Juderia. Very charming rooms and the breakfast buffet was good. The difference between to two is modern-romantic hotel with 1800 and charming-romantic hotel with Juderia. You won't go wrong with either one. Checkout the rooftop it is cool to see all the buildings and the catherdal from that view. I also stayed at AC Palacio de Santa Paula and this was a nice hotel. Clean and front desk was WONDERFUL! Mini bar is free too. Don't eat at hotel lots of places around in walking distance. Decor inside hotel very nice but in the room just okay so don't be shocked by the contrast. I would stay again.
Old Jan 18th, 2012, 08:48 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Las Casas de la Juderia and did not like it as much as we hoped. WE traveled with my parents and had two rooms. Both were dirty and we had to request a cleanup after moving in. Even after thet the rooms were not clean. We had rooms facing the courtyard and they were very noisy. Also the service was really bad. They managed to spoil our last night by not being able to secure requested tickets (asked for many months in advance) for a flamenco show and not telling us! It was rediculous!
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 01:11 AM

Casa 1800 in Granada is as good as it gets, in charming Albaycín and close to everything. Raving reviews from hundreds of guests: http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/casa...l?dcid=1;dva=0
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 07:31 AM

I think you've made the right choice in Sevilla staying at Casa1800. With only 24 rooms it offers very personalized service and is also quite charming.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 10:04 AM

Yes and I'd stay in the Albaicin area too. Casa 1800 looks good.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for that last batch of comments. It's these personal experiences that so often fill in the blanks left open by the various travel guides. For example, we were leaning toward the AC Palacio de Santa Paula partly because we were intending to use Marriott Reward points, but I now feel more drawn to the Albaicin area, and I'd be happy to pay. Thank you and this forum for that.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM

We stayed at Casa 1800 in Sevilla last May during the Feria. It was perfect. We loved the location, and the rooftop terrace at dusk, with the view of the lighted Giralda.