Reload this Page >

Las Casas de la Juderia or Alfonso XIII

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 02:07 PM
ICB

I'm torn between staying at Las Casas de la Juderia or the Alfonso XIII. The Alfonso XIII has a weekend rate which is not much more than a junior suite at Las Casas de la Juderia so price is not significantly different. What is important to me is 1)location - for sights, restaurants, bars, etc. and 2) charm - both of the room and of the surrounding area. Have read postings here as well as the recent Time Out Andalucia which said that Las Casas was a little past its prime. Can't make my mind up. Can somebody please help? Also, if somebody has a better recommendation I'd love to hear about that as well.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Leslie

I actually had a reservation at the Alfonso XIII, and recently cancelled it to make a reservation at the Las Casas de las Juderias for 4 nights in March. I made the change based on price, as I was going to save $70 per night. However, if you do want to stay at the Alfonso XIII, you might want to buy Bancotel vouchers at www.bancotel.com. The Alfonso XIII accepts 3 vouchers per night for a double room, which amounts to $150 per night. The only caveat here is that you have to buy the vouchers in books of 5 = $250. But, if end up with the predicament of needing an extra voucher or two instead of buying a whole book of them, you can buy individual vouchers at some travel agencies. Also check the www.madridman.com board where you will find people selling left over vouchers from their trips. I bought two of them there. By the way, you will still have to pay the hotel the 7% IVA tax.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Patrick

I can't imagine what was meant by Casas being &quot;past its prime&quot;. When we stayed there two years ago they were very busy upgrading rooms, adding another elaborate courtyard and maintaining everything else beautifully.<BR>No doubt about it --Alfonso is a bigger, more traditional, and more glamorous hotel, but I'd choose Casas de la Juderia any time for its character and style.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 02:55 PM
michele

I agree with Patrick. The Alfonso is a grand hotel, palatial, and open. The Casa is mysterious, charming, and very much in the spirit of old Seville.Think courtyards, interior fountains, and lots of tiles... It's right in the Santa Cruz section, too.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Karen

I agree. Stay at Las Casas. We really liked it when we were there 2 years ago. Our room was just off the courtyard and it was lovely. You can't beat the Santa Cruz location -it's a charming area and is close to restaurants, shops. I would definitely go back if I were visiting that area again.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Maribel

ICB,<BR>As Michele, Leslie and Patrick have told you so well, they're totally, utterly different. <BR> <BR>The Alfonso XIII is an elaborate, 127 room, Old European style Grande Dame, built in 1929 in neo-Mud&eacute;jar style, with the very finest of materials (marble, alabaster, fine mahogany, hand painted Moorish tiles. priceless orientals) to house the VIP crowd attending the International Exposition, and celebrities still stay there or hold their press conferences there (Julio Iglesias was in residence the last time I walked through). It's located on a principal avenue across from the Alc&aacute;zar gardens.<BR>It boasts a restaurant, piano lounge, beauty salon, meeting/banquet facilities, a Loewe luxury leather boutique, a pool, gardens, 24 hr. room service, full concierge staff, etc. In short, all the amenities you'd expect in a 5 star luxury hotel , much like those at Madrid's Palace or San Sebasti&aacute;n's Mar&iacute;a Cristina, with tariffs to match, unless you take advantage of the Starwood Frequent Guest or Bancotel program. The rack rate can soar above 300 euros, so I'm glad you can take advantage of a weekend rate.<BR><BR>The Casas de la Juder&iacute;a is of the &quot;small and charming&quot; variety, romantic, intimate and tucked away in the very heart of the Barrio Santa Cruz, a row of former ducal residences, originally belonging to a Seville nobleman, very Andalusian with its patios and gurgling fountains. Many rooms have separate sitting rooms, and are like suites. It was opened as a 3 star hotel in '91 right before Expo. Plus it's quite moderate in price. Even during the most expensive &quot;extra&quot; seasons, Holy Week and Feria a double runs only 198 euros plus vat. Olga knows the Juder&iacute;a better than anyone, as it belongs to her company, so she can give you a better insider's view.<BR><BR>Like Patrick and Michele, in Seville I prefer small and secluded to large, open and grandiose and really enjoy staying in the atmospheric Santa Cruz quarter. It's all in what you like.<BR><BR>About purchsing individual Bancotel vouchers: <BR>I've asked at many a travel agency in Madrid and have yet to find one that will sell the Bancotel coupons individually, only in the booklets (talonarios) of 5 , whereas the Marsans travel agencies will sell their own program, the Hotelcolor vouchers individually (I've asked), and Halcon Viajes sells its Weekend Plan coupons individually as well, since they're never sold in booklets. Leslie, (or anyone) do you know of a specific source other than Madridman? I read the post on his message board about *possibly*buying them at Barcel&oacute; branch on Madrid's Plaza de Jes&uacute;s, behind the Hotel Palace, but I'm really skeptical. Still, I'd like to find one!

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 04:54 PM
lincasanova

i work with a travel agency here in Valencia who will take back a/left over voucher/s from me and add it to another client's necessities. They can usually accomodate me, too , if I only need one or two.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Leslie

Maribel, I've found a few travel agencies that sell single Bancotel vouchers in Madrid, however, the two that I needed for Granada, I actually bought from people that participate on the Madridman board. They were only looking for face value or less for the vouchers, and the cost for postage was included (a stamp) vs. the $25 that Petrabax charges in the US for shipping via FEDEX. Bancotel charged a similar cost for shipping.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Maribel

Thanks, Leslie,<BR>I do have a travel agent friend in Logro&ntilde;o who will buy back our unused vouchers as a favor to us, and we can always give them away to family, if they can use them before they expire. <BR>Which agencies in Madrid have you found (on the web?) that will sell you individual Bancotel vouchers?

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Leslie

Topping for ICB -- guess he didn't see this thread he started.