Hotels in Salerno

Old Jan 10th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Salerno

Hello community and thank you in advance for your guidance

I am arranging a trip to Salerno Italy with a group of about 20 people. The agency we are working with recommended 2 hotels one Hotel Montestella the other Grand Hotel Salerno
The reviews of these 2 hotels seem to be very positive or very negative. I am confused about this and wanted to know your experiences and guidance, if you have any suggestions
We want to be close to the city of Salerno, walking distance if possible
The other question I have is any recommendation of the best the top attractions?
Restaurant suggestions are welcome too
Thanks
JJJRegina
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 11:38 AM
ekc

Can't help on the hotels (did you look at the reviews on booking.com?) but I would highly recommend a trip to Paestum. If you are interested in wine, I would also recommend a tour of Vigne di Raito, in nearby Vietri (a town famous for ceramics).

How long will you be in Salerno?
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 03:24 PM
kja

You might look at the Plaza Hotel.

IMO, Salerno's cathedral holds some incomparable treasures. For those with an interest in art, the Ivories at the Diocesan museum are well worth seeing. Paestum is outstanding -- both the site itself and the small museum on site.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

We will be staying for 8 days and visiting many of the sites by tour bus. How about staying in some of the B&B's which seem to be so highly rated? I could split the group up
JJJRegina
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 11:46 PM

How are you all arriving in Salerno and how much luggage will people be toting? If you are arriving by car or bus, parking within walking distance of the historic center is something you would need to nail down in advance.

If you are arriving by train, or parking at the periphery of Salerno and walking in, you need to look carefully at the location of some b&bs in the center, because there are parts of Salerno that warrens of staircases, going uphill, and taking heavy luggage up there is a bit of a challenge except for the very fit, and not wonderful for anybody on a very hot day.

My recollection of looking for a place to stay in Salerno was that there were few good hotels, going by reviews. Because I had a car, I chose to stay in a large hotel south of town (I took a taxi to dinner), and I wouldn't repeat the experience. What I would do is stay at an agriturismo in Paestum and visit Salerno during the day. That might be doable without a car, since I believe the agriturismi in Paestum are within walking distance of the train station.

However, staying in Paestum might not work for your overall itinerary and Salerno is a very enjoyable town that I would like to revisit sometime. If you can iron out the logistics, getting everybody into b&bs might be a lot of fun and preferable to the hotels.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 11:50 PM

Sorry -- I just noticed you are staying for 8 days. Salerno will offer a lot more evening variety, espcially if you have some younger adults in the group. It is small enough that you should be able to split the group up and still be able to meet up easily. Have you checked AirBnB to see what options might be avaiable for a couple of large apartments?

If you are going during swim season, and your group doesn't need a buzzy nighttime scene, you still might want to check out staying in Paestum, which has the nicer beaches.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:46 AM
ekc

You could also look at staying in nearby Raito. We spent a few days at Hotel Raito and enjoyed it. It was a popular spot for tours.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you
These comments were so helpful
The group will vary in age but there will definitely be some seniors who may have difficulty on the hills
We will arrive by plane and want to tour the sights with a bus tour. which I am in the process of arranging
I also like the idea of a B&B for the group

If any one has some B&B advice feel free

Scando